Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Reading Recommendations > Which would you recommend - WOT or Mistborn

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zulu (new)

Zulu | 9 comments I am a long time admirer of The Hobbit and LOTR, however I have been naive in thinking no fantasy books could compare. After asking around two kept cropping up, the Wheel of time and the Mistborn series. Which would you most recommend I begin to read and why? I want something similar to Tolkien and equally engaging and amazing, a fantasy series I can really dive into.

message 2: by Zulu (new)

Zulu | 9 comments Just to add to this, is there any other series perhaps better than these? Thanks for any advice!

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Read | 156 comments I think both are great series. Maybe the deciding point is the number of books in the series? How much time do you want to commit? The Wheel of Time has 14 books. Mistborn has four. The first three comprise a trilogy that brings the story to a conclusion and then the forth starts in a different point in history.

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara | 320 comments As Kimberly said The Mistborn series is shorter than the WoT so you might want to start there. Although it might be hard to find something very similar to LoTR I do suggest:
Game of Thrones
The Lightbringer series (only 2 books are published so far)

message 5: by Gianluca (new)

Gianluca (gianlucag) First off, I love both series. They are some of my favorite books, and I think every Fantasy fan should try them.
That said, The Wheel of Time is definitely more similar to Tolkien's work. The first book in particular. Though, that doesn't mean it's not original. The first book might sometimes remind you of The Lord of the Rings, but the series quickly developes its own identity.

I'd like to point out that The Wheel of Time is insanely long (14 novels and a prequel, and most books are over 800 pages long) and a couple of books in the middle are considerably slower and less enjoyable. So, it requires a lot of dedication from the reader. Personally, I didn't mind that at all because I prefer long books/series, but others might feel differently.
In any case, the series is truly epic and definitely worth reading. Just remember that it is a huge commitment.

Mistborn, however, is a lot shorted but equally entertaining. There are no similarities with The Lord of the Rings here, and the story really is unique. But that's one of the best things about it.

I'd say start with Mistborn, because reading The Wheel of Time will take a long time.

message 6: by jaw (new)

jaw | 85 comments I'm one of those un-dedicated readers who quit on the WoT. It was around book 9. I just found a point where I really disliked the characters and found I didn't really care about them at all.

I'll recommend Mistborn.

message 7: by Mimmi (new)

Mimmi (pearlmutter) | 12 comments The epic saga feeling that you get from Tolkiens books are more like the WoT series. It's about saving the world from darkness, and a band of heros. Characters rooting for the dark will try to spoil it for you every step on the way, and you can never be sure about who is a darkfriend. Mistborn is good, but in a kinda, magic is awesome and flying through the air by tossing pennies, kinda book. It's not so much about the epicness as it is just a really good bookseries in fantasy. So if you want the more Tolkian experience, go for WoT, but if you just want a few good books to read over the next weekend go for Mistborn. 'Cuz choosing to read WoT is a comittment, 15 awfully long books that will take a LONG time to read is nothing you start on a whim.

message 8: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 50 comments If you wan't something that does what LOTR does i think either might be disappointing, don't get me wrong I did love them both but they may not be what your looking for. You might try David Eddings's Belgariad. Much closer to the LOTR feel and even though it's five books it still comes in shorter then Mist borne. Though no one can ever match Tolkien's gift with words.

message 9: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 102 comments I would recommend Mistborn over WoT. It's shorter, has a better magic system, and doesn't have a divided fanbase.

message 10: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 50 comments I would agree with you Steve if not for the fact that WOT is honestly better written. Sanderson himself admitted that finishing WOT forced him to be a better writer. Which is something that was lacking a bit before. He always had wonderful stories he just has better tools to tell them now.

message 11: by Adam (new)

Adam Ortyl | 12 comments I cast my vote with mistborn as well. Sanderson just does such a good job with his magic system.

message 12: by Zulu (new)

Zulu | 9 comments Appreciate all the advice people, I have just bought the first book of both series and The Name of the Wind. I will give them all go, just depends in which order I read them now but I think I will begin with The Final Empire.

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I've never read WOT, but I want to start it one day. I have read Mistborn, and I loved it. Though, I think that I love The Way of Kings even more...

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

WoT would be closer in feel to Tolkien but Mistborn is more fun.

If you do decide to read WoT and get dragged down by the wasteland that is the middle books, you can easily skip them and just read the wiki summaries. Then pick up with book 10 or so.

message 15: by Adam (new)

Adam Ortyl | 12 comments Zulu wrote: "Appreciate all the advice people, I have just bought the first book of both series and The Name of the Wind. I will give them all go, just depends in which order I read them now but I think I will ..."

You'll love them all!

message 16: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Ala wrote: "WoT would be closer in feel to Tolkien but Mistborn is more fun.

If you do decide to read WoT and get dragged down by the wasteland that is the middle books, you can easily skip them and just read..."

:)

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 27 comments I haven't read the Mistborn books yet but I'm thinking I'll have to try them. I don't recommend WOT--as others have said, I lost all sense of connection to the characters as the series progressed. I bailed out after the fifth book.

Have you read Anne McCaffrey or Robin Hobb? The Pern series was one I read shortly after LOTR and really enjoyed.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 6 comments Ala wrote: "WoT would be closer in feel to Tolkien but Mistborn is more fun.

I agree. Sanderson is fantastic. WoT is worth reading if you're an epic fantasy fan--the world-building is incredible--but it is definitely a slog, and the middle books do drag a bit. (Okay, a lot.)

message 19: by Metaphorosis (last edited Jun 21, 2013 09:34AM) (new)

Metaphorosis (metaphorosisreviews) Mistborn, without a doubt. Wheel of Time started off good, bit a bit annoying, in a Belgariad kind of way, and then just got dull. I quit after book 7, which did not advance the plot in any meaningful way.

Mistborn, on the other hand, was quite good. (Haven't read book 4 yet). Or Brent Weeks.

message 20: by Cori (new)

Cori Foxworthy (foxdenvixen) WoT as I have not read Mistborn yet. It is on my Calibre shelf.

message 21: by Cor Markhart (new)

Cor Markhart | 17 comments I always found most characters in WoT rather hard to like or believe in, especially the female ones. From my understanding the idea was to create a world with a mirrored gender understanding (women have power and lead while the males are often portrayed as a bit dumb, slow and passive(your stereotypical fantasy woman)) but the result is that instead of macho theatricals we get endless bitching(And I mean that.. nearly every time a female speaks to a male it is to criticize him). The whole plot also not only advances slowly but often seems a bit childish to me. I quit after book 5 because nothing did improve.

Mistborn... The first book is great and definitely worth a read but the later 2(3) are not nearly as good, especially the relationship between the MCs. A lot of the potential that Vin (and the story) had gets destroyed and in the end she is your typical, boring and lovesick heroine.

But I heard that his newer series are much better in that aspect so you could try them.

And I would suggest something from Guy Gavriel Kay or Patrick Rothfuss. I find their writing superb.

message 22: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) I haven't read WOT yet so my vote goes to Mistborn (on the good side it is a trilogy). There are few reasons for which one should read this series are :

1) Magic System
2) A very badass female lead
3) Strong story
4) Few prophecies

In short this series contains all the ingredients for a great fantasy & I think a fantasy lover's bookshelf is incomplete without this one;)

message 23: by Terry (new)

Terry Simpson | 261 comments Mistborn because it's faster to finish. WOT is one of my favorite all time series, even with all the flaws.

message 24: by Benji (new)

Benji Glaab (demolitionlegend) | 4 comments I've had book 2 and 3 in the mistborn series for about 3 years. I haven't been compelled to read them yet. Book one was decent. I'm not sure if it fits my taste.

As for WOT I was dissapointed in Eye of the world and most likely won't read the next 13 books.

message 25: by Greg (new)

Greg Strandberg (gregstrandberg) Benji wrote: "I've had book 2 and 3 in the mistborn series for about 3 years. I haven't been compelled to read them yet. Book one was decent. I'm not sure if it fits my taste.

As for WOT I was dissapointed in E..."

I just started the first Mistborn novel and am quite impressed so far. I'm glad I have the whole trilogy.

message 26: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 72 comments If you've got 4 years of your life to spare, then by all means, WOT is the series to go for.

message 27: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lostunicorn) If you really want a Lord-of-the-Rings feel, read The Sword of Shannara et. al. by Terry Brooks. I know many people don't like the Shannara books because they are basically the LotR with different characters, but that's also what makes some of us love it. All right, let the stoning begin! :)

message 28: by Ken (new)

Ken Hughes (kenhughes) | 15 comments Actually, one name's been mentioned that really is Tolkien-style: Guy Gavriel Kay. His Fionavar Tapestry books are some of the most epic material ever done; it has its differences, but Kay was also the secretary who helped sort through Tolkien's papers after his death.

message 29: by Greg (new)

Greg Strandberg (gregstrandberg) I wish more people would discover Kay.

message 30: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 20, 2013 03:59PM) (new)

Kimberly Read | 156 comments I've just started reading Kay and I really enjoy his writing. He is like reading a vivid painting.

message 31: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 183 comments I'll 4th the suggestion of giving Kay a try; his books sit on my "favorites" shelf. Tigana (a stand-alone) is on my short list of "best epic fantasy I've ever read".

Each of his novels parallels a real historical setting (which, as a history buff, I enjoy greatly). Like real history, the plots are intricate and the people are complex.

message 32: by Robin P (last edited Aug 30, 2013 05:51PM) (new)

Robin P I agree that Kay's Fionavar Tapestry is most like Tolkien. It's my least favorite of his maybe because it is more derivative or maybe because it's his first writing. Or maybe it's the modern characters going into the fantasy world, I didn't like that in Ysabel either, but I love all his other works that are more historical.

Kay is a poet as well as novelist and it shows. I always thought his books begged to be read aloud and now they are available on audio.

I loved LOTR when I was younger and read them several times. Tolkien deserves endless credit for basically inventing the fantasy genre! But now I am impatient with books or movies where the "dark side" says they are the dark side, the Fionavar series does that too. It's much more psychologically real when there isn't a clear-cut good and bad, the "bad" guy is convinced he is really the good side or the only side. Of course Game of Thrones takes care of this by making everyone "bad"!

message 33: by Reuben (new)

Reuben | 21 comments I'm just going to go ahead and sixth the Fionavar Tapestry :-p Read it a few months ago and really looking forward to reading more GGK.

message 34: by Aneesh (new)

Aneesh (aeromaxtran) | 2 comments Mistborn

message 35: by Brian (new)

Brian Allen | 7 comments WOT is most like Tolkien in my opinion. Jordan’s world is packed with races and cultures that Mistborn (though another favorite series of mine) just doesn’t have.

I say go with Jordan. It is an amazing series. In either case I would love to hear what you think of the series you pick.