Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

The Space Merchants (The Space Merchants, #1)
This topic is about The Space Merchants
Past nominations (closed) > July 2013 Classic Novel nominations

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Please use this thread is to nominate a Classic Science Fiction or Fantasy novel for our July group read and discussion (beginning July 1.)

(A Classic novel would typically have been published at least two decades ago and be considered a popular, trailblazing or important work of science fiction or fantasy. It's best if the novel doesn't require having read previous novels in a series, so anyone can participate. Presumably, a classic is still in print!)

You can review past nominees and winners in the Group Discussion BookShelf. (If you want to continue a discussion of one of our previous group selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to.

Nominations will be open through June 14, when we will collect the nominees and post a poll for one week so members can choose among them.

message 2: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Stedman | 21 comments Hi I'd like to nominate A Family Tree by Sheri S Tepper. (Sorry am doing this on an iPad and can't put in a link to the book). It's my favourite book of Tepper's; I love the massive and unforeseen plot twist in the middle and it was very ahead of its time, especially in its ideas of conservation.

If I could nominate another.... It would be The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett. Love the totally random ideas, generated before he fell in love with plot, and thus more inexplicable than many of his later works...

This is a great group! Thanks for this thread.

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2142 comments I'll nominate Armor by John Steakley. In many ways, it is an update of Starship Troopers & The Forever War. Published in 1984, it has a very similar base setting, but totally different way of handling a future armored combat against 'the bugs'.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 03, 2013 06:24AM) (new)

R.L. wrote: "Hi I'd like to nominate A Family Tree by Sheri S Tepper. (Sorry am doing this on an iPad and can't put in a link to the book). ..."

Thanks for the suggestions.

The Family Tree by Sheri S. Tepper: the 1998 publication actually qualifies this as a Contemporary Novel under our house rules (if it were just me, anything since 1960 would be contemporary, but apparently I'm atypical. :) We agreed on 1990 as the arbitrary dividing line. Since our Contemporary Novel nomiations (for late June) are still open, with your permission I'll just move this over there.

That will leave The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett as your Classic nomination. s'Okay?

message 5: by Pickle (last edited Jun 03, 2013 06:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pickle | 92 comments i would like to nominate the excellent The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl

I really enjoyed this book and it didnt feel dated with some ideas now seemingly possible. A very enjoyable and quick read.

message 7: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Stedman | 21 comments G33z3r wrote: "R.L. wrote: "Hi I'd like to nominate A Family Tree by Sheri S Tepper. (Sorry am doing this on an iPad and can't put in a link to the book). ..."

Thanks for the suggestions.

The Family Tree by She..."

Thanks, didn't realise Family Tree was so recent. So the years are not rushing by as fast as i had thought. Yeah, happy to have Colour of Magi retained.
tx

message 8: by Dean (new) - added it

Dean C. Moore (deancmoore) | 11 comments Pickle wrote: "i would like to nominate the excellent The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl

I really enjoyed this book and it didnt feel dated with some ideas now seemingly possible. A very enjoyable and quick read."

I added The Space Merchants to my "want to read" list after checking out the blurb on it. So I'd second this nomination.

message 9: by Dean (new) - added it

Dean C. Moore (deancmoore) | 11 comments Can I nominate more than one? I'd add Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars trilogy to the list, more specifically, Red Mars, the first novel in the cycle. Don't know if it has been around long enough to be considered classic sci-fi, but I certainly consider it a classic.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

givin that the nosey NSA is in the news, how about 1984?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Last day to add a classic novel to the list. If you have a title to nominate, now is good.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, thank you all for the excellent nominations. (Nominations are now closed.)

Okay, the Poll is now open. so please Vote Here for your choice.

The Poll will be open through June 21.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Galus don't get to vote. Dhamsawaati don't get to vote. Jokers don't get to vote. But you, my friend, you get to vote!

Friday is the final day of voting. So, Vote Here for your Classic Novel of choice.

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 22, 2013 04:38AM) (new)

And our narrow choice for our group's July read & discussion of a Classic novel is:

The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl

Discussion is scheduled to start July 1.

Thanks to all who participated in the selection, and I hope you'll all join the discussion!