Buy No Books June Support Group discussion

Marleen's Kindle Only List?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LenaLena (last edited Jun 30, 2013 03:19PM) (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Where I am going to keep track of the stuff I read and see how long I can manage not to add more fanfic to the kindle....

READ FROM THE COLLECTION ALREADY ON MY KINDLE
Safe Distance
Johnlock. 115K.

Weighing of the Heart
Stony Angel!AU by scifigrl47. 47K.

A Study In Forgiveness
Johnlock WIP :( 28K

To the Syntax of Things
Merthur Highschool!AU. 20K

The Company Man
Jessewave review. How derivative can you get?

The Fourth World
YA F/F. Fancy that.

Tempus Fugit
Drarry. 97K. Skimmity skimskim.

Sugar High
Merthur. Highschool!AU 25K.

Stolen
Sterek. 99K. Started really good, devolved into diabetes hazard.

Castle (the rules by which we live)
Merthur. BDSM. 16K.

The Depths of Winter
Drarry. (Hurt/Comfort)^2. 117K.

Small Weird Love
Merthur Teen Angst! 40K

The Gentleman's Keeper

Northwest Passage
Sherlock in Canada. 95K.

Sultry Summer Day
Merthur. 3K

The Boy and the Beast
Sterek. 117K.

Leave the Signs and the Sirens
Johnlock. 25K.

Pack Up; Don't Stray
Sterek. 55K.

Shadows on the Wall
Johnlock. 18K.

Song of the Beast
Actual factual paperback....

DNF, BITCHES!

Catalyst

Chase the Storm

UH OH I CHEATED

BTW I Love You
For book club meeting that didn't happen.

After Midnight
Because Beta.

Little Boy Blue and the Man in the Moon
Because.... House crossover. 67K.

Blood and Brimstone
Because.... Ginn Hale crossover. 42K.

message 2: by Emma Sea (last edited Jun 02, 2013 05:25PM) (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) how much fanfic do you already have on there unread?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Emma wrote: "how much fanfic do you already have on there unread?"

I bet lots and lots. And then more than that. :D

message 4: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Uh. On the paperwhite only? 88 unread items. The paperwhite is fairly new. Some of those are actual books. Like Touch & Geaux. BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'm sure I lost a couple hundred or so when I cleared the K3.

message 5: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments One week and not a single thing added to my kindle! The list waiting on the computer is growing though.....

I am editing the first post of this thread to keep track of what I read.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

This is like creative accounting. :D

If they aren't on your Kindle, it doesn't count if you're collecting them on the to-be-loaded-onto-kindle folder in your computer. Have I got it?

message 7: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Yeah, you didn't actually expect me to not save the stories I want to read for later, did you? I'm just trying to clear a bunch of stuff off the kindle this month before it gets buried under ever more shiny new stuff, like it usually does.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I have no room to poke fingers. I added 3 fics to the laptop today. BUT. They aren't on the kindle. And technically, this was a no-buy month, not a no freebie month so I'm not counting them either way. I move them to my kindle in batches of ten or so. That way they don't seem to go their to die/hibernate.

message 9: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments No buy month wasn't any challenge for me though. I hardly buy anything anyway. Emptying the kindle, THAT is a challenge.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I buy about 2-4 books a month on average, but I used to buy a lot more. Going from there to zero isn't that hard, but I have to remember not to give into random one-click-itis.

message 11: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Is the stuff on your first post things you've already read? (If so, how was the Stony angel AU? Or super long Johnlock?)

message 12: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Yes, those are already read.
The Stony angel fic was.... different. I liked it!

Safe Distance was good, but got a bit saggy later on, like many fanfics.

message 13: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Gah, I really need a non-sugary Drarry fic. Over 200K of syrup on this pair alone this week.... >:(

message 14: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) Does diet-Drarry even exist?

message 15: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Oh yes. Like The Scholomance Series.

message 16: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) so, you say no romance, but is there a caring emotional relationship? Or is it all non-con?

message 17: by LenaLena (last edited Jun 14, 2013 02:34PM) (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Oh no, it's consensual. There is just no lovingly gazing into each other's eyes or anything. Not a lot of focus on the love story. And, as far as I recall, no shower wanks.

This is BAMF!Draco.

Geez, my phone does not have wanks in its autocorrect list yet. Fixed now!

message 18: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments So I had to cheat and read BTW I Love You, because I have book club meeting this Sunday. I would like to mention that I did NOT, at that time, transfer all the other files waiting on my hard drive to my kindle.

message 19: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
LenaLena wrote: "So I had to cheat and read BTW I Love You, because I have book club meeting this Sunday. I would like to mention that I did NOT, at that time, transfer all the other files waiting on my hard drive ..."

Marleen, no worries. We're not counting the free stories. (I've read some of the LHNB stories this month too.) :) You're still good for No-Buy-June.

message 20: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments I know, but this is my self imposed rule: that in june I read only stuff that was already on my kindle. I hardly ever buy anything, so that wasn't a challenge for me, but I have a tendency to load 10 more fanfics onto my kindle for every 5 I read and I have a huge backlog.

message 21: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
LenaLena wrote: "I know, but this is my self imposed rule: that in june I read only stuff that was already on my kindle. I hardly ever buy anything, so that wasn't a challenge for me, but I have a tendency to load ..."

I find that backlog a little comforting though. Like what if my fave authors leave the fandom/never write again? DO I HAVE ENOUGH FIC???? :) Eventually they will be woo-ed away by some crazy fandom like Hannibal, so it feels nice to build a nest of TBR fanfic for when the rapture comes (and leaves me behind.)

message 22: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Whew! I broke my cheating streak!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

How was the House crossover? It's on my laptop. I haven't moved it to the kindle yet.

message 24: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Not bad. I haven't watched House in 3 years, so I wasn't familiar with everybody, but still enjoyable. No sex, if that is what you're looking for.

message 25: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Final tally:

Read 19 books/stories from my kindle backlist and DNF'd two. Read one actual paperback and cheated 4 times.

And there are exactly 19 fics waiting on my hard drive to be transferred to the kindle. Fancy that. So did I gain anything? Well, there's the one book I read and I guess the DNFs count. And my backlist didn't GROW.....

Sherlock: 6
Merthur: 5
Sterek: 4
Drarry: 3
Stony: 1

On my kindle the Merthurs outnumber the closest competition almost 2:1. Interesting.

1123K Words, not counting the actual books that only have page numbers.