Janet Tronstad - Dry Creek & Other Stories discussion

We're taking a Maui Adventure Together - Read about it

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 1207 comments Mod
When we were in Spokane, Melody mentioned one of the stories we wrote for fun in the group. Are we ready to do another one? Would you like a story or the cyber trip like the one Jillian took us on to Hawaii?? Maybe Ausjenny could take us to Hawaii since she's been there recently? Some time on the beach is always fun!

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Eberly (kathyeberly) | 218 comments Oh definitely another story taking place in Hawaii?

message 3: by Melody (new)

Melody | 304 comments Yes I think it's totally story time again!

message 4: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments Didn't get to see much of Hawaii this time. but love the idea of a story. (some of us found potential husbands)

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryannie) | 286 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Didn't get to see much of Hawaii this time. but love the idea of a story. (some of us found potential husbands)"

WHAT????????

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryannie) | 286 comments Yes, let's do a story, it will be my first time with y'all.

message 7: by JanetTronstad (new)

Ausjenny -- I echo Mary's comment. Do you mean you were only in one place in Hawaii? I'm hoping you had a great time!

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryannie) | 286 comments JanetTronstad wrote: "Ausjenny -- I echo Mary's comment. Do you mean you were only in one place in Hawaii? I'm hoping you had a great time!"

I want to know about the potential husband!

message 9: by JanetTronstad (new)

Oh, Mary, in one of our previous stories we hooked some of the single ladies up with prospective husbands (in the story so they were prefect matches).

message 10: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments I was mainly in the Wiakiki area. I didn't venture out past the shopping centre (ala Mona). I relaxed. I knew I would be tired and was happy to not do much at all.

message 11: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments Oh I had a good time. I watch the sun set each night but I spent time relaxing. I got my bracelet fixed at maui divers. I got some shopping done but no touring.
I was so in need of me time to just rest I has happy just chilling or is that chilaxing.

message 12: by JanetTronstad (new)

Okay -- how is this for the setting to our story? Let's take the Davenport hotel from our trip in Spokane (for those who weren't there --- elegant golden lobby (big and spacious), a circular drive in front with liveried bellmen, and an exotic safari room in the restaurant). We'll take the hotel and have it face out to a Hawaiian beach. How's that?

message 13: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments yes Mary it was a traveling through history one with princes etc.

message 14: by JanetTronstad (new)

Cool, Ausjenny!

message 15: by JanetTronstad (new)

We go everywhere, don't we?

message 16: by Ausjenny (last edited Jun 02, 2013 08:02PM) (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments sound good Ocean in the front Mountains in the back

could be on one of the other islands like Kauai which is so pretty

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryannie) | 286 comments Ausjenny wrote: "sound good Ocean in the front Mountains in the back

could be on one of the other islands like Kauai which is so pretty"

Y'all have to tell me how to start...

message 18: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments right now I seem to think 6pm is a good bedtime!!!!!!!!!!!

message 19: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 252 comments Mary wrote: "JanetTronstad wrote: "Ausjenny -- I echo Mary's comment. Do you mean you were only in one place in Hawaii? I'm hoping you had a great time!"

I want to know about the potential husband!"

"LIKE"

message 20: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 252 comments Will this be continuation of one you did before or completely new?

message 21: by JanetTronstad (new)

Paula-O -- I'm thinking completely new and I'll put a starter up later today when I get a minute.

message 22: by Melody (last edited Jun 03, 2013 12:05PM) (new)

Melody | 304 comments Hooray love it, that hotel is screaming to be a story setting! So excited...

message 23: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 252 comments I have the pic, very pretty place, Maybe we that have not been there can put some secret rooms...

message 24: by JanetTronstad (last edited Jun 03, 2013 04:35PM) (new)

OUR MAUI ADVENTURE

The three young women -- Melody, Jenny, and Janet Marie -- were standing in the circular drive of the stately old Davenport Hotel. Beige stone walls lifted the hotel up higher than any building around. Behind them the beach stretched out to the ocean on the island of Maui. None of the three were looking in that direction through. They were all peering through the glass doors leading into the golden lobby of the hotel. There was buzz of movement inside that lobby as men in suits swarming around -- who could it be, they wondered as they craned their necks.

'Prince David?' Melody turned to the others in amazement. 'Can it be him?'

Two weeks ago no one had heard of the prince from the small European country. And, now, here he was -- with them on vacation in Maui.

'Quick,' Jenny said. The other two were looking at the prince and Jenny saw the other man -- the one with a gun in his hand -- who was walking toward them with determination.

Melody and Janet Marie gasped when they saw the man, too. He was ---

(anyone can take a turn at the story now -- what happens next. There's no right or wrong way to take the story. Just take a turn. It's fun. You can move the action and add description of something (clothes, scenery, etc..)

message 25: by Melody (last edited Jun 03, 2013 05:09PM) (new)

Melody | 304 comments I'll go next! :) Its almost ready!

message 26: by Melody (last edited Jun 03, 2013 05:14PM) (new)

Melody | 304 comments Completely intimidating! That's what Melody was thinking once Jenny tugged on her arm and she finally forced her attention from the gorgeous prince.

The man strode out the doors, and my was he tall! The impressively build man stood at least a good foot above Melody's 5'2" frame. And he was glaring at her, dark blue eyes that held not even a hint of warmth or amusement.

"What have you done now, trouble?" Janet Marie muttered under her breath, using the nickname Melody had been given teasingly. Only this time Janet Marie was not teasing.

Melody gulped as the man drew closer, too fearful to move even as Jenny urged her to. "This time my friends, I am not certain."

"You there!" He said, his voice drawing the attention of anyone in earshot. But he pointed at Melody.

She met his eye bravely, though Jenny could feel her shaking. "Yes?"

"I need you to come in for questioning. Now."

Melody couldn't believe her ears! Questioning? Just what did the man think she had done? In the short time since they had arrived?

Jenny braved to ask just that. Melody was grateful for the support.

"Beg your pardon Ma'am, but I am not at liberty to say. It is a matter of national security."

Melody looked at her friends, uncertain what to do--

message 27: by JanetTronstad (new)

oh, cool, Melody -- I can't wait to hear what someone else does with the story!

message 28: by Melody (new)

Melody | 304 comments Me neither! I can tell this will be a fun adventure already! Thanks for a great start! :)

Janet Marie Dowell | 77 comments Melody went with the guy cautiously...........When they got to the station she was told that there was a diamond smuggler on the island and she fit the description! YIKES!

message 30: by Melody (new)

Melody | 304 comments Love it Janet Marie! :)

message 31: by JanetTronstad (new)

What a cool twist, Janet Marie! And who doesn't love diamonds?

Anyone willing to add a little more?

message 32: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments Jenny and Janet Marie, looked on as Melody was taken for questioning both wondering what was going on. They both wanted to go with her but were warned to stay back. As they took a step forward another armed guard stepped in to block there path.

Looking at each other they wondered what could be the problem.
"Maybe she forgot her passport" and with that Jenny checked her's was where she always carried it.
"no she's an American she doesn't need one to come to Maui besides I don't think she even has one"
As JanetMarie said this the second armed guard came up and said to Jenny
Ma'am we need you to come with us for questioning.
Oh no what did I do know thought Jenny.
She was taken into the same room with Melody where the guards spoke to each other.

"Ma'am I need to see both your passports"
Jenny hands over her passport still clueless to what she could have done while Melody looks aghast.
"Why would I need a passport to come to Hawaii? I am an American and I have never been out of the country before."
"Then I need to see your identification."

Janet Marie Dowell | 77 comments The diamond smuggling business is really just a cover up for a old manuscript that holds some dark secrets about national security in Maui and the officials want the secrets to stay "SECRET."

message 34: by JanetTronstad (last edited Jun 04, 2013 10:22AM) (new)

After Melody was taken to a police station and questioned by the tall man and was told about the old manuscript, she was taken back to the hotel lobby where Jenny and Janet Marie waited for her.

'What happened?' Jenny asked. They were inside, but the big windows let them look out to the ocean. It was a sunny day and the waves were calm.

'He was dreamy," Meloday said with a sigh as she looked out to the beach. Once she realized she wasn't in deep trouble, she had been able to focus on what a cute guy he was. 'He asked me out for dinner tonight."

"Tonight?" Janet Marie said. "But what did he want? You don't have any diamonds."

"The diamonds are only a cover for some old manuscript people are looking for," Melody said with a dismissive wave of her hand. "They say it has secrets in it that could damage Hawaii. The only old manuscript I know about in Maui is one by Jillian Hart and Janet Tronstad. I don't know what kind of secrets that might have in it."

Anyone can take it from here --

message 35: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 252 comments Paula and Mary came out of the elavator in the hall and seeing Janet,Jenny and Melody rushed over, where have you been? We have been upstairs waiting for everyone to come. The ocean is calling our names, look how inviting it looks. Melody had to tell them how she had been taken and all the news and they were astounded to hear something like this could be happening right here in this beautiful hotel. Oh! says Paula well maybe you don't feel like getting outside right now, Why don't we go upstairs and plan what we will wear tonight. I hear there is to be entertainment in the lounge later. Do you think it might be the guy that sings "Tiny Bubbles" , now what was that mans name? I can never remember names.

message 36: by Melody (last edited Jun 04, 2013 01:22PM) (new)

Melody | 304 comments Melody couldn't concentrate on anything Paula was saying. Her mind went back to her conversation with Desmond Dalcassian, her handsome date with quite the fascinating Irish background. She knew the ladies would probably like what she was about to inform them.

"Well you know Desmond is here as head off security for Prince David," Melody started, but Jenny interrupted her. "Desmond is it? First name basis already?"

"Oh Jenny, we are not back in the 1800's anymore, I can use his name." Still the thought made her instantly blush.

"Jenny, be nice. I think it preferable to the tall man with a gun!" Janet Marie piped up.

Melody looked at her gratefully. "As I was saying, Prince David is in need of some lovely ladies to spend the evening with, and I though maybe you all would like to be the lucky ones?"

Jenny grinned. "You only offered that because you want time with Mr. Dalcassian." She emphasized his name dramatically.

Melody shrugged. "Maybe so, but I happen to know the Prince is a lover of all kind of animals. And has quite the collection of shall we say, exotic pets?"

Jenny took the bait. "I'm in!" Her exuberance made everyone laugh.

"I thought you might be." Melody winked. "I trust you to stay out of trouble for one night. You know if anything is amiss my date will be cut short!"

Paula giggled. "No promises!"

message 37: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 252 comments I remembered, "It is Don Ho", says Paula. Mary says "No can't be him he died, don't you remember?"...
Well I guess we had better go with Melody anyway so she doesn't get in trouble tonight with that handsome fella.
"Do you suppose there could be a secret place in the hotel where this manuscript is hidden?" it seems like there are a lot of folks coming and going in the lobby.
I still think we had better go upstairs and change if we are going out in a little while, anyone going with me?

Janet Marie Dowell | 77 comments After they get all dressed up they go down stairs to meet the others. Janet Marie & Melody are the first to arrive. As they are waitig for the others, Melody leans against a "wall" and all of sudden it moves and she grabs Janet Marie and they disappear! When they get on the other side of the wall they find a room full of beautiful gems so they begin to wonder if the "Diamond Smuggling Tale" is really a Tale or not.

message 39: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments Meanwhile Jenny was still getting ready and telling Mary and Kathy about the Prince and how he loved exotic animals. She told them she had heard he even had a zoo with tigers, cougers, and a snow leopard.
Word was he was even interested in squirrels and chipmunks which had captivated Jenny. She could hardly wait to meet him to talk about the animals. Kathy and Mary had to hold her back when she started to leave with mis-matching shoes.
As they descended the stairs they thought they saw Melody and Janet Marie but they seemed to disappear.
"did you see that?" Mary and Jenny said at the same time
"Where did they go I am sure they were there by the wall and now they have gone" answered Kathy.
This is a mystery that needs an answer.
The ladies went to investigate but couldn't work out what had happened they would just have to keep looking.

message 40: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 252 comments Paula meets up with the group in the lobby and when they tell her of the dissappearance of Janet Marie and Melody she is very upset..."We must tell the authorities, someone needs to find them", she runs to the desk and out of breath she is talking so fast no one can understand anything she is saying at first. "The desk manager says slow down lady and tell me again". Paula gulps and then slowly says, "our friends Melody and Janet Marie have gone missing, we need help to find them". About that time the handsome Desmond comes along and hearing name of Melody, he steps up and starts asking lots of questions...Paula thinks ...Now we will get to the bottom of this.

message 41: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Eberly (kathyeberly) | 218 comments "You say that you saw Melody standing by the wall and in a blink of an eye, she was gone?" Desmond was rapt with attention.

The group of women began again to talk all at once until the clerk at the front desk rang his bell repeatedly to get order.

"Ladies, please one at a time. We can't solve this problem without keeping our heads clear. Not only that, but I have never had any guests disappear on my watch and I won't have it happen now." His voice was terse yet he seemed to have fear as well, "I mean after all, I can't add this to my job record. I'll get fired for sure."

Jenny glared at the clerk. Mary, Paula and Kathy looked at him as though he had lost his mind.
"Get this, our friends have disappeared and he's worried about his job?"

Kathy was about to jump over the desk to go after the clerk when Jenny and Mary stopped her, "Violence is not the answer, Kath. We have to put our heads together and solve this mystery."

message 42: by Ausjenny (last edited Jun 09, 2013 12:50AM) (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments Desmond had to admire the women's passion and asked some questions.

"Where exactly were they standing when you saw them disappear?"

Mary was quick to answer "right there by that Zebra painting. I remember cos I was admiring the picture when they just disappeared"

"Right lets go and have a good look at the area, did you see them do anything before they dissappeared?"

"Um I was thinking about spending time with Prince David talking about his zoo" blushed Jenny

"I saw Melody leaning against the wall then grabbing Janet Marie" replied Kath and Mary nodded.

"Like this asked Desmond?"

"No more like ........... oops whats happening the wall is moving" cried Kath.

message 43: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 136 comments Im enjoying your story! = )

message 44: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 252 comments as the wall moved forward, Janet Marie and Melody appeared before the surprised faces of the mgmt and Kathy and Jenny dissappeared...Paula fainted as she fell Desmond stopped her fall by reaching out to her...she came to as someone sprinkled water into her face.."What is happening where is Jenny and Kathy, Oh My ..Melody and Janet Marie where were you?
Desmond set Paula on her feet, "You ok now little lady?" I have to get to the bottom of this. He ran to the wall and ran his hands over it but nothing budged. He turned to Melody, "What is on the other side? How did you get over there?"
Melody's eyes are so big and she is looking all around the room when it finally sinks in that Desmond is talking to her. "I..as she starts to speak...

message 45: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryannie) | 286 comments "I am wondering if there is a code or password and I unknowingly said it, let's see, we were talking about food, very good bread we ate here at a luncheon, um, maybe it was "Sesame"? Isn't that an old time word to open doors, chests, etc.? OPEN SESAME...Well maybe this is silly...Melody again slid away as the door opened once more and closed just as fast.

Janet Marie Dowell | 77 comments Janet Marie told them what they saw! She said there was over a million dollars worth of beautiful gems behind that door...............the reason she could estimate the value was because she was a jeweler. Desmond started "acting" flustered and surprised!" Paula noticed he was overdoing his so called concern for what Melody and Janet Marie had experienced. So, she begins to wonder if Desmond is really who he says he is.

message 47: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 252 comments And now Melody is still behind the wall, no wonder she had such large eyes while ago, seeing all those gems..
Paula quitely slips away and goes back to the desk where she ask the manager if he will call the FBI,
"Something is looking fishy about that security man over there, we need someone to get all this cleared up and fast, we came to this beautiful hotel to enjoy your beach not some walled room and mystery games"

message 48: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Eberly (kathyeberly) | 218 comments The clerk gaped at the young woman before him. This was such a curious lot of women. One had tried to injur him. Could he believe them? He dialed the phone number to the local branch of the FBI.

Moments later two more women appeared at the front door of the hotel. They approached the desk.

"I'm agent Barbara P and this is my partner Valri," The first woman began, "Your call intrigued me." She looked at Paula, "Were you the woman who told the clerk to call?"
Paula nodded.

"This man claims to be a body guard to a prince of a foreign country, yet he slipped into a southern accent. I'm pretty sure he can't be believed and worse yet, there is a room full of diamonds in the secret room," Paula's voice was a whisper, yet she had both of the agents' complete attention.

"Can you show us this room?" The agent identified as Valri asked.

"Absolutely."

"Is it possible to get in without being seen?"

"That might be a problem..." Paula answered.

message 49: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments "Why is that" asked Barbara

"Well its like this we know where the entry to the room is but we are not really sure how it opens. Melody seemed to get it to work and we lost Jenny and Kathy but that to was when Melody came out. so we are not sure"
explains Paula.

"Show us the wall and where they were standing when they disappeared"

"thats easy it was under the Zebra picture"

They look at the picture and see Desmond is still trying to get the wall to open. Valri and Barbara speak to him.

message 50: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments whos going to be next?

« previous 1