Pick Up Lane Bookclub discussion

Lost in Suburbia: a Momoir: How I Got Pregnant, Lost Myself, and Got My Cool Back in the New Jersey Suburbs
This topic is about Lost in Suburbia
Welcome!!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Heather Davis (httpwwwgoodreadscomminivan-momma) | 78 comments Mod
I'm so thrilled to see everyone here! The book we're reading this month is Lost In Suburbia by Tracy Beckerman. BUT, if you don't get around to reading it or you don't get a copy in time, please jump in with the discussion questions--which can be answered without reading the book (but you'll want to read the book by the time we're through!).

So, let's get this party started with an easy question: Do you live in Suburbia? Or are you an urban dweller? Or is your home found in a small town? Basically, describe where you live. :)

I'll start. Even though we are 45 minutes away from the nearest metro area, I'd still say that we are a suburban area. We have corporate headquarters and blue collar factories along with several residential areas. We can buy anything we want in town (usually), but we don't have a target or an Olive Garden ... this anguishes me a lot. Momma loves her unlimited salad!

Sabrina Fish (sabrinaafish) | 4 comments I live smack dab in the middle of suburbia. A neighborhood in the S. OKC/W. Moore area in Oklahoma. I really have no need to drive out of my little part of the city as everything I need, i.e. Starbucks, Grocer,Target, shopping, etc is all here, however, to be limited to such a small area all of the time would drive me bonkers so I often look for activities all over the OKC metro and Oklahoma in general.

Sabrina wrote: "I live smack dab in the middle of suburbia. A neighborhood in the S. OKC/W. Moore area in Oklahoma. I really have no need to drive out of my little part of the city as everything I need, i.e. Starb..."

How close are you to a Whole Foods. That's becoming my new standard of real estate value. ;)

message 5: by Mari (new)

Mari (marimargene) | 9 comments Suburbia. Yup. I'm there. Knee-deep in it. Half a mile from cows in one direction, 3 miles from the city in the other. NE Moore area, everything retail is roughly 10 minutes away from my house. Whole Foods? Roughly 20 minutes.

Hi y'all! :)

Sabrina Fish (sabrinaafish) | 4 comments The Norman one is about 10 minutes from me and the OKC one is about the same. I'm set.

Peyton Price (SuburbanHaiku) | 19 comments Suburb dweller, here.

message 8: by C.D. (new)

C.D. Jarmola (cdjarmola) | 2 comments Heather wrote: "I'll start. Even though we are 45 minutes away from the nearest metro area, I'd still say that we are a suburban area. We have corporate headquarters and blue collar factories along with several re..."

I live a mile from Heather. But if I lived one hundred feet farther, I'd live in the countryside.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer McMurrain (jennifermcmurrain) | 2 comments I guess B'ville would be described as a small town, but I grew up in a real small town, 350 people TOTAL. And I too live about a mile from Heather. Hi!

message 10: by Mari (new)

Mari (marimargene) | 9 comments Sabrina wrote: "The Norman one is about 10 minutes from me and the OKC one is about the same. I'm set."

Norman Whole Foods? Did I miss something?

Sabrina Fish (sabrinaafish) | 4 comments I think it's actually called sprouts or something like that. A friend told me about it, haven't actually been to it. I'm one of those weird 'stick with the usual place if it works' people and so I continue going to the one on OKC that I'm used to.

message 12: by Mari (new)

Mari (marimargene) | 9 comments lol--I've heard of Sprouts and have been meaning to check it out. The on-site butcher kind of makes me happy. :)

Sabrina wrote: "The Norman one is about 10 minutes from me and the OKC one is about the same. I'm set."

I love the one on Western. I could live there.

Mari wrote: "Suburbia. Yup. I'm there. Knee-deep in it. Half a mile from cows in one direction, 3 miles from the city in the other. NE Moore area, everything retail is roughly 10 minutes away from my house. Who..."

Cows--I love the sound of cows in a neighborhood.

message 15: by ShaRhonda (new) - added it

ShaRhonda (crowmoma2) | 12 comments Suburbia for sure. Broken Arrow, OK- I can jump on the BA Expressway (see we get a road named after us) and be almost anywhere in the Tulsa Metro in 20 minutes. I live waaaay northeast of town though, I can see horses and cows, but am still 3 miles from Olive Garden and Target and the largest high school in Oklahoma. How can one class possibly have 1000+ seniors graduate? Culture shock for this small town Okie girl who only had 35 in her class. Yes, I am still trying to find my way in the big city. Whole Foods? Yeah, there's one, but I haven't bought into all that yet.

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Simons | 2 comments I do not think my town could be considered 'Suburbia', it's just a town in NW Arkansas. Eh..now that I think about it, it's probably closer to suburbia than the small town it used to be. Wal-Mart HQ is 20 minutes from my house so it's a growing area. My hometown is Tulsa, mid town to be precise:). We do not have a Whole Foods here, but we did get an Akin's two days ago!

message 17: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Chambers (peggychambers) | 18 comments I live in a town of 50,000 people (smallish). Enid has no Whole Foods or Target, but we have Kmart, WalMart and a couple of really great Italian places (not Olive Garden and you have to pay for the salad). But, we do okay and it is 2 hours to Tulsa, Oklahoma City or Wichita if we need extra culture!

message 18: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (jackiewolven) | 2 comments First, thanks for inviting me! How fun!

I live in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. A town of 2100 that balloons to just under a million with tourists. It is in rural northwest arkansas, an hour away from any kind of largish city. A far cry from growing up in the suburbs (Orange County, California) and city life of San Francisco that we left 10 years ago!