The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2013 > 20.2 - Rookie At the Top - Bamaace83's task: Family Vacations

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 02, 2013 06:51PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10641 comments Mod
20.2 - Rookie At the Top - Bamaace83's task: Family Vacations
Summer months always bring multiple opportunities for family activities. Growing up, we were shipped off to our grandparents’ houses for a few weeks. Family reunions, day trips, and sporting events were also on the family summer calendar. Memories were made that I will cherish for a lifetime. For this challenge, it’s a perfect time to remember our families.

Read one book from one of the options listed below:

Option 1: Read a book with the genre "Family" on the main page. For example: The Last Song, If I Stay, My Sister's Keeper, The Glass Castle, The Memory Keeper's Daughter, The Art of Racing in the Rain

Option 2:Read a book with one of the following words in its title or subtitle: “family”, “vacation”, or “reunion”. Plural versions are acceptable, but no other variations are allowed.

Required: State which option you used when you post.

message 2: by bamaace83 (last edited Jun 17, 2013 05:26PM) (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Approved Books:

Option 1:

Wonder by R.J. Palacio The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady by Elizabeth Stuckey-French The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman Hidden Summit (Virgin River, #17) by Robyn Carr The Middlesteins by Jami Attenberg The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly Moral Disorder and Other Stories by Margaret Atwood The Man of Property The Forsyte Saga (Wordsworth Classics) by John Galsworthy Restoring Harmony by Joelle Anthony

Option 2:

Vampire Vacation (The V V Inn, #1) by C.J. Ellisson Reunion by Jeff Bennington

message 3: by bamaace83 (last edited Jun 05, 2013 04:02PM) (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Not approved:

Vampire in Denial (Family Blood Ties, #1) by Dale Mayer

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10641 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 243 comments Just want to get this okayed for Option 1 in case Family disappears from the genre list. :)

The Light Between Oceans

message 6: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 133 comments For option 1, could I have The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady ? Family is the last genre on the list as of right now...

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Since genres have a habit of disappearing from the list, can I please have Wonder approved for option 1?

message 8: by bamaace83 (last edited Jun 03, 2013 06:22AM) (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Vicky wrote: "Just want to get this okayed for Option 1 in case Family disappears from the genre list. :)

The Light Between Oceans"

Sure, approved. :) I may need to slip this book in my readings for the summer. It looks popular.

message 9: by bamaace83 (last edited Jun 03, 2013 06:22AM) (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Cassie wrote: "For option 1, could I have The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady ? Family is the last genre on the list as of right now..."

Sure, approved. :) Looks like a good book.

message 10: by bamaace83 (last edited Jun 03, 2013 06:23AM) (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Since genres have a habit of disappearing from the list, can I please have Wonder approved for option 1?"

Sure, approved. :) I read this book for spring. It was pretty good.

message 11: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (whodunitrdr) | 191 comments May I please have Hidden Summit approved for option 1, family genre, in case that tag drops off the main page?

message 12: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) | 520 comments Can I have The Middlesteins approved in case Family drops off the main page? Thanks!

message 13: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Deanna wrote: "May I please have Hidden Summit approved for option 1, family genre, in case that tag drops off the main page?"

Approved. :) Book 17, wow, I think I've only read the first one. I might need to go back to those at some point.

message 14: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Chaitra wrote: "Can I have The Middlesteins approved in case Family drops off the main page? Thanks!"

Sure approved! :) Looking at the cover of the book for awhile would make me want to go get a "snack."

message 15: by Chaitra (last edited Jun 03, 2013 07:32PM) (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) | 520 comments Thank you! And, LOL!

message 16: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 243 comments bamaace83 wrote: "Sure, approved. :) I may need to slip this book in my readings for the summer. It looks popular."

Thanks!

message 17: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate has family on the front page but it may fall off, so I'd like to get it approved please :) It's listed as 'children's' too but I'll make sure my edition is over 300 pages.

message 18: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments mstan wrote: "The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate has family on the front page but it may fall off, so I'd like to get it approved please :) It's listed as 'children's' too but I'll make sure my edition is over 300 ..."

Sure, approved. Thanks for making sure it's over 300 pages.

message 19: by Fiona (Titch) (last edited Jun 05, 2013 08:00AM) (new)

message 20: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 434 comments Could you please approve Moral Disorder: and Other Stories for family in case the genre drops off the main page later?

Thanks.

message 21: by bamaace83 (last edited Jun 05, 2013 03:59PM) (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Vampire in Denial - Dale Mayer or Vampire Vacation - C.J. Ellisson or Reunion - Jeff Bennington?"

With this task, series titles are excluded, so Vampire in Denial will not work, but either Vampire Vacation or Reunion would work for option 2.

message 22: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Joanna wrote: "Could you please approve Moral Disorder: and Other Stories for family in case the genre drops off the main page later?

Thanks."

Approved! :) Have fun reading!

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilybookshelf) | 116 comments Could you please approve The Man of Property: The Forsyte Saga for Option 1?

The 'family' genre is listed on the main page, but I'm worried that it might change before I read/report.

message 24: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Emily wrote: "Could you please approve The Man of Property: The Forsyte Saga for Option 1?

The 'family' genre is listed on the main page, but I'm worried that it might change before I read/report."

Sure, approved! Have fun reading!

message 25: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Thanks x

message 26: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1300 comments Restoring Harmony Restoring Harmony by Joelle Anthony for option 1.

message 27: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Deborah wrote: "Restoring HarmonyRestoring Harmony by Joelle Anthony for option 1."

Sure! Looks like it will be an interesting story to read. :)

message 28: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments I'm going to read The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks.

message 29: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Claire wrote: "I'm going to read The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks."

Approved! That's a good book.

message 30: by Bucket (new)

Bucket | 320 comments How about The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison for option 1?

Thanks!

message 31: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Bucket wrote: "How about The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison for option 1?

Thanks!"

Sure, approved. Sorry for the late response!

message 32: by Peebee (last edited Jun 27, 2013 03:25PM) (new)

Peebee | 486 comments The Humanity Project or Mom & Me & Mom (in case it drops off)

message 33: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Peebee wrote: "The Humanity Project or Mom & Me & Mom (in case it drops off)"

Both are approved! Now the tough decision of which one to choose. :)

message 34: by Peebee (new)

Peebee | 486 comments Thanks....already read both so will figure out what fits best there.