Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2013-06 - Death - June Reviews

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (last edited Jun 03, 2013 03:48PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8335 comments Mod
What Deathly delights did you find this month?

and share a Deathly Quote

message 2: by Karen (last edited Jun 08, 2013 11:11AM) (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Tanith Low in the Maleficent Seven not bad for a filler book, it'll do until the new Skulduggery comes out.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished Clockwork Angel today. Lots of death, but does it really count as death if the "victim" is a vampire or a demon? They're kind of dead already. But never fear, there was a particularly gruesome death scene in there...well, gruesome to me since I never read horror...so I can see why this book is on this shelf. Anyway, it was an entertaining read, and I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1034 comments Finished Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson #3) by Darynda Jones - A solid mystery and I really like the characters, especially Charley, the strong willed, witty and sarcastic heroine. Nevertheless, I must say that the snarky humor is getting a little old and I wish Charley would take things a little more seriously.

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) Reading The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins and am LOVING it. It's my first time reading this genre (dystopian). I didn't think I would like it, but I do very much. Am looking forward to the othter books.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1034 comments Just realized that Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4) by Dan Brown is also on this shelf and I read it as well.

Anyone expecting the brilliance of The Da Vinci code is bound to be disappointed but it is nevertheless a fast paced and exciting scavenger hunt type thriller. I particularly enjoyed the references to Dante's Divine Comedy and the words of art that it spawned.

message 7: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) Am on pg.85 of "The Hunger Games" and I am so nervous for Katniss. (view spoiler)

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) I Am Not A Serial Killer, blah although as a series it has potential.

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) The Passage, really enjoyed this. It's a bit slow to start but after that the pace really picks up. Looking forward to the sequel.

message 10: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) I just finished reading The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins and I LOVED it! I was biting my nails throughout the last half of the book. I am definitly looking forward to the next in the series.

message 11: by Tien (new)

Karen wrote: "The Passage, really enjoyed this. It's a bit slow to start but after that the pace really picks up. Looking forward to the sequel."

I love this book. the sequel was just as good! can't wait for the next one.

message 12: by Tien (new)

Julia wrote: "I just finished reading The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins and I LOVED it! I was biting my nails throughout the last half of the book. I am definitly looking forward to the next in the series."

so glad so ended up enjoying this book, Julia :)
Team Peeta or Team Gale?

message 13: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) I think Team Peeta. I haven't started book 2 yet (is that Catching Fire?), but from what I've read in the 1st book, Peeta genuinly cares for Katniss, while I think Gale can be dangerous to her. Not abusive, but dangerouse b/c he seems so rebellious.

message 14: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Finished Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) by Katie McGarry and gave it 4 stars. Very good read about two damaged people who that find each other and deal with some really difficult stuff in their lives. When it started, I couldn't help but make some comparisons with Perfect Chemistry but the similarities faded away soon.

I liked that even though they are happy at the end, they both had to make changes and very difficult decisions in their lives.

Definitely reading the next book!

message 15: by Cheryl (Collier) (last edited Jun 13, 2013 09:47AM) (new)

Cheryl (Collier) (cheryllynn12) Finished Bridge to Terabithia. I so seldom give five stars that I had to take a day to think about it before committing to that. How I missed this little gem for so long can be chalked up to being far beyond fifth grade when it was published. I read it now as part of the theme of "death" for a book group. While it does deal with death and I felt the pain of it, I really think it spoke more of life and learning what you believe, who you are, and what you want to become. I am amazed at how the author, in such a short book, developed the characters so deftly and completely that I felt as if they actually exist. If you or your children have not read this, please get a copy and share this brief time in the lives of two caring and imaginative ten year old children, their families, and their friends. Race the wind, swing on a rope, be where others are not, bask for a moment in a golden room, and while living a very common-place life do it royally. For a short time I got to be ten years old again. What a fine thing for a book to do!

message 16: by Adrienne (last edited Jun 13, 2013 11:31AM) (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments I read Divergent by Veronica Roth. I gave it 4 stars. Yes, it is another dystopian YA novel, but the story was well-planned and the characters were round. So many times I give up on this genre because I am annoyed by the writing, but I raced through this one.

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) The Radleys, this started really slowly and I wasn't sure I was going to like it but in the end I really enjoyed it. Typical family drama, teenagers can't relate to their parents and the parents take each other for granted, with the added problem of them being vampires.

message 18: by Tien (new)

Adrienne wrote: "I read Divergent by Veronica Roth. I gave it 4 stars. Yes, it is another dystopian YA novel, but the story was well-planned and the characters were round. So many times I give up on this genre beca..."

Can't wait for Allegiant!

message 19: by Tien (last edited Jun 13, 2013 04:03PM) (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Finished Bridge to Terabithia. I so seldom give five stars that I had to take a day to think about it before committing to that. How I missed this little gem for so long can be chalked up to being ..."

life and death goes hand in hand, doesn't it? It makes life all the more precious to hold.

Did you shed any tears, Cheryl? I'm pretty sure I did ;p

message 20: by Cheryl (Collier) (new)

Cheryl (Collier) (cheryllynn12) Tien wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Finished Bridge to Terabithia. I so seldom give five stars that I had to take a day to think about it before committing to that. How I missed this little gem for so long can be chalk..."

Yes,there were definitely tears but there was joy, too. I think this book actually may be wasted on the very young.

message 21: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) The Red House, didn't like this. The characters were completely unlikeable, the best I can say about it is that it was a quick read.

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3377 comments Mod
I just finished two very different books, Gone Girl and The Fault in Our Stars. Two 4-star books in a row is rare for me, but they both clearly deserve it. Gone Girl I actually think of as really a 4.5.

My Gone Girl review here .

My Fault in Our Stars review here .

message 23: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) Finished Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins and I must say that I loved it. (view spoiler)

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments I managed to read The High Lord which was on this shelf this month.
I can't give too much away in my review as it is the final book of a trilogy but there is a fair bit of death and destruction throughout the novel. An enjoyable series overall even if the large amount of recap during the first few chapters was very annoying.
3.5 stars

message 25: by Tien (new)

Sarah wrote: "I managed to read The High Lord which was on this shelf this month.
I can't give too much away in my review as it is the final book of a trilogy but there is a fair bit of death and destruction thr..."

I really liked that trilogy and I like the prequel even more; The Magician's Apprentice (The Black Magician Trilogy 0.5)!

I'm going to Supanova tomorrow and Trudi Canavan is going to be there *super excited* going to get my copies sign! :D

message 26: by Adrienne (last edited Jun 22, 2013 10:12AM) (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I actually first read it about 13 years ago and didn't really see the fabulousness, but this time I really enjoyed it.

message 27: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1585 comments Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian. It's WWII historical fiction, set in Germany. A Prussian aristocratic family in 1945 on the run from the Russian soldiers. Obviously, at that time in Germany there was much death and destruction and some of it is detailed in this book. It's a good story, but maybe not for those who are overly squeemish.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments Tien wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I managed to read The High Lord which was on this shelf this month.
I can't give too much away in my review as it is the final book of a trilogy but there is a fair bit of death and d..."

Ooooh, I didn't know there was prequel, must go hunt it down. :)
Hehe, lucky you!! Signed books are awesome.

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) The Crow Road 4*. I really enjoyed this, it was a well written read with characters I liked. How can you not like a book with the opening line 'It was the day me Grandmother exploded'

Snow White & the Huntsman 3*, this was much better than I expected. I only picked it up because I needed a fairy tale book for Zombie Monopoly, but in the end I really enjoyed it and it is certainly a lot darker than Disney's version.

message 30: by Susan (new)

Karen wrote: "The Crow Road 4*. I really enjoyed this, it was a well written read with characters I liked. How can you not like a book with the opening line 'It was the day me Grandmother exploded'"

Nice to know. It's been on my TBR. Sadly, Iain Banks, the author, just died earlier this month.

message 31: by Rora (new)

Rora I read...

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (4 stars)
Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly (3 stars)
The Death And Life Of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood (3 stars)
Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma (3 stars)

message 32: by Alik (new)

Alik I also read A Monster Calls Amazing, especially the ending. I think I scared my daughter when I couldn't stop sobbing, then laughing that I was sobbing! I haven't had a book envoke such emotion for a long time...

message 33: by Susan (last edited Jul 03, 2013 05:48AM) (new)

My last "death" books for the month were quite a varied bunch. I had a lot of trouble getting my reviews written for them all.

I loved Jellicoe Road, and gave it 4 stars. My review here .

The Great Gatsby was also 4-star good. My review here .

I didn't enjoy Cat's Cradle (3 stars) or Ubik (2 stars) as much, though. My Cat's Cradle review here . My Ubik review here .

message 34: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 87 comments I read some books really early in the month of June for this shelf that I forgot to post here.

If I Stay which I gave 5 stars. Too bad I read the sequel. I only gave that 3 stars.

Before I Die which I gave 3 stars.