This topic is about Beautiful Disaster
Series > Beautiful Disaster

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - added it

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5113 comments Mod
Thoughts?

Brooke Loved this book. Couldn't put it down

Suzy (yardiebookfanatic) | 6 comments Loved both books, couldn't stop reading... Reread both books when I'm bored..

Taylor | 7 comments Loved it. Read it in less than 8 hours here at work...what to do with the other 4
??

message 5: by Tessa (new) - added it

Tessa Livers | 2 comments I couldn't put the book dow,,

message 6: by Tessa (new) - added it

Tessa Livers | 2 comments Down!* lol

Mags~CVAddikt~ Am I the only one who thinks the singing scene in the cafeteria was a bit too much????

Just saying ... please don't lynch me :P

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Im currently reading Beautiful Disaster and I think it has the potential for a good book and series, which is more than Incan say for a lot of modern romance books. The only problem I really have with it is that I find myself rooting for guys that aren't Travis.
For example:

"'what is that?' I asked, reading the writing on the gas tank too late.
"'ta a Harley Night Rod. she's the love of my life so don't scratch her when you get on."

Then Parker with the same context:
"She's not just a Porche. she's a Porshe 911 GT3. there's a difference."
"Let me guess, she's the love of your life?" I said, quoting Travis' statement about his motorcycle.
"No, it's a car. The love of my life will be the woman who shares my last name."

.... This Parton the book confused me soo much as to who we (as the readers) were supposed to want to end up with Abby.
Did anyone else feel this way?

Sent from my IPad

message 9: by Dizzy (new)

Dizzy (dizzy_booknerd) I loved this book!! It totally sucked me in and I couldn't put it down. (view spoiler)

Stephanie Read this a while back and absolutely fell head over heels in love with Travis and this book. There were moments I wanted to shake both of them because of plain stupidity, but I never questioned my gut telling me Travis and Abby were meant to be.

Read Walking Disaster and loved it way, way more then this one. It's the same story, but from Travis' point of view and some special extra stuff at the end that left me smiling for days :)

Shannon I really enjoyed this book! I made the mistake of starting it just before bed and I didn't get to sleep until 5am. I loved the characters even though they both have issues. I thought some of the drama was a little over the top but I guess I was in the right mood for it. It was just fun to read and I really liked their story. Though they might want to consider counselling? Anger management? haha..

Shannon Mary wrote: ".... This Parton the book confused me soo much as to who we (as the readers) were supposed to want to end up with Abby.
Did anyone else feel this way?"

I kind of liked that a nice guy was presented as a viable option for her to be with. Though I kept expecting him to do something awful like force himself on her or something. I guess this book was written to prove that saying, "Nice guys finish last".

Betty Jo Pritchett (busylady) | 42 comments Spoiler alert**** This was not my favorite. I kept wanting to like it. But I feel like the relationship presented between Travis and Abby is not a viable one. Love like that never lasts. It's too combustible. Like oil and water. And getting married at 18 like that is a mistake. I feel like it was pretty irresponsible for the author to present this as a 'happy ending' for young adults/teens. They are both rash and impulsive. Also codependent. People just don't change on a dime...even for the 'love of their life'. Both of them are very unstable and don't even know who they are themselves. And they get married at 18?? I love a love story as much as the next gal, but I feel like it should be a healthy relationship, that is good for both parties.

message 14: by Lia (new)

Lia (liamiller) | 33 comments I actually read this in 2011 shortly after Jamie self published it. It took and 8 hour over-night flight to Scotland for me to finish it. Absolutely loved it and couldn't put it down! I sympathize with a previous reviewer that said she wanted to shake both Abby and Travis at times for their own stupidity but that's part of what makes the book so good and gut wrenching. Love Jamie McGuire, can't wait to read more from her.

message 15: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt (mgesch) | 3 comments Mary wrote: "Im currently reading Beautiful Disaster and I think it has the potential for a good book and series, which is more than Incan say for a lot of modern romance books. The only problem I really have w..."

I completely agree.
Have you read Something About You by Julie James? or Wallbanger by Alice Clayton?
They are both really good.

message 16: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Matt wrote: "Mary wrote: "Im currently reading Beautiful Disaster and I think it has the potential for a good book and series, which is more than Incan say for a lot of modern romance books. The only problem I ..."
i agree ...wallbanger is funny

Angelique | 56 comments I finished it in one day. Reread it again in less time than before. I just love everything about it.

Daniela Rodriguez | 1 comments Honestly one of my favorite books!!!

message 19: by Inda (new) - rated it 3 stars

Inda (indaherwood) Eh. Not the best but not the worst I guess.

message 20: by Wren (new)

Wren Figueiro | 77 comments Mags~CVAddikt~Chaos defies imagination! wrote: "Am I the only one who thinks the singing scene in the cafeteria was a bit too much????

Just saying ... please don't lynch me :P"

Have to agree with you, and I thought (view spoiler)

message 21: by Wren (new)

Wren Figueiro | 77 comments Mary wrote: "Im currently reading Beautiful Disaster and I think it has the potential for a good book and series, which is more than Incan say for a lot of modern romance books. The only problem I really have w..."

I think she was trying to show that though the relationship with Parker would have been more sensible and healthier, she couldn't deny the spark she had with Travis. Not sure it's the best as a role model story...

Yorett I absolutely loved it!! I love how in the begging you believe the book is a cliché that the good girl and the bad boy who are totally different, fall in love. But later in the book they reveal that there not so different after all.. That the good girl wasn't always so good in the past and even Abby - who always wore cardigans;) - had here own demons to hide.

Andrea | 6 comments Loved this book, one of my faves!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Mary wrote: "Im currently reading Beautiful Disaster and I think it has the potential for a good book and series, which is more than Incan say for a lot of modern romance books. The only problem I really have w..."

I felt really bad for Parker! He deserved so much better. Don't get me wrong, Travis was OK most of the time, but you get the feeling that he's got some ISSUES. I mean, the whole beating-people-up-thing? Not cool.

SashaSay | 5 comments I love it... I've read it twice now and I think I'm gonna read it again, ESPECIALLY Walking Disaster...

The title sums up their relationship perfectly. It was a disaster waiting to happen but somehow they made it work. It wasn't perfect but that's what made me love this book. I'm so tired of reading about a perfect relationship where they have minor fights and then get together. Abby and Travis were both prideful and stubborn and it got in the way of their relationship too many times yet they made it work. Also reading the mini books would explain why the sudden marriage. :D

Has anyone read A Beautiful Wedding and Mrs Maddox? Those two mini-books are also nice. It gave me a nice warm fuzzy feeling after!

Christina (littlecabbage) Looooved this!

message 27: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Torino | 1 comments I don't even know how many times i have read this books, but every single time i do i fell in love with it even more! It's an amazing book and i always recommmend it to everybody. Travis Maddox is my fuckin' obsession! I think i will never be able to get over him...he's just so perfect!!

message 28: by Amy (new) - rated it 1 star

Amy Reads (amyreadsss) Mags~CVAddikt~Chaos defies imagination! wrote: "Am I the only one who thinks the singing scene in the cafeteria was a bit too much????

Just saying ... please don't lynch me :P"

I totally agree. Actually, I think most of his behavior was a bit much. He should have been in jail long before the end of the book.

Needless to say, this was not my favorite. As far as tough guys with issues books go, I prefer Easy.

❥Katlynn (katlynnvn) To those below or above: that was my favorite part though!! lol anyways...Beautiful Disaster tbh gave me a headache. The main character annoyed me so much at some points I wanted to rip the pages out, but I would do that to a book:P Besides that I thought it was cute how Travis did all that to get her heart.

Andrea Parkins | 1 comments ❥Katlynn wrote: "To those below or above: that was my favorite part though!! lol anyways...Beautiful Disaster tbh gave me a headache. The main character annoyed me so much at some points I wanted to rip the pages o..."

I agree about th main character, but I for one loved the book!

Bespectacledreader | 534 comments Erika wrote: "Thoughts?"

1. Makes me want to go back and enjoy my College years.
2. I ❤ Travis [Wait, I think this should be numero 1]
3. I became partial to motorbikes and tats.
4. I am proud of the author when I learned that this book is self-published.
5. After reading this one on pdf format, I immediately went to buy a copy of the second book.

Jenny (jennyredcherry) | 8 comments I've just finished this book and I really enjoyed it! I liked how unpredictable it was, you never knew what to expect next, unlike a lot of other books about romance.

Abby was a complete idiot at times, I mean how could it take her so long to realise he was in love with her, it was so frustrating ! And even though I understand her reasons for wanting to stay away from him, I really wanted to shake her at times because she was so indenial! But overall I did like her character.

Travis also had a lot of ups and downs but I enjoyed how complex his character was. And yes he had a lot of issues , but if he was a 'good boy ' like Parker we wouldn't have much of a story would we?

Their relationship was a massive rollercoaster but despite their issues and imperfections they were meant to be.

Estefany  | 4 comments I loved it! There was only one annoying problem! I kept picturing ARIANA GRANDE as Abby!

Keisha Grazette (loulou876) | 56 comments i love this book! i have read it twice, i actually enjoyed the fact that abby denied loving him for so long i hate books where they fall in love after a week.

travis was a great complex character, i enjoyed his humor as well as his angry outburst

Jenea Mason | 9 comments I loved this book so much! It gripped me from the get go and I couldn't put it down.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I honestly think Beautiful Disaster is one of the worst books I've ever got to read, I mean, I only read 69 pages and it was plain torture. It's really, really, really so poorly written and it also felt like the book was going to explode from all the cliché scenes. So lame, so stupid. I also have read quite a lot of chliché stories on Wattpad and I don't really mind reading another cliché book but if it's good. Everything's already predicted but it can still be good. And I find Beautiful Disaster one of the most horrible ones. I have a non-ending list as to why I hate the book (although I didn't even complete 70 pages) but it would take a lot of time to write all the reasons. But if it's already shit since page one, should I really finish it? I highly doubt I would.

message 37: by Gina (new) - rated it 1 star

Gina I feel I may be the odd one out in this discussion board because I didn't care for this book at all.

It took me entire night to finish the first chapter after many times of reading a few paragraphs, closing the book in disgust, and trying to read again. Eventually I just gave up trying. If the book continued the way the first chapter read then I knew I wouldn't like it at all.
I've never delved in the enemies to lovers trope but I blame Zutara from Avatar for getting me interested. I thought Beautiful Disaster would be an interesting read to help me start down that unfamiliar path.

However the writing style, in my opinion, was atrocious and bland. I felt McGuire kept me right at the ice looking down into the ocean of potential. I hoped since the book was on first person I'd get an idea of how Abby felt or thought or anything but I got nothing. No introspective. No way to relate or sympathize with her.

The characters were kept at face value and the writing had me pulling my hair in frustration.

I really wanted to like this book. I truly did. Perhaps I gave up on way too quickly. I just knew I couldn't read on based on how it started and wanted to save myself the agony.