Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Totally Off Topic > How do YOU review???

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Reynolds (goodreadscomelylibrarysec) | 10 comments First and foremost, be honest. Everyone has their own style but tell what you like and what you don't like. Start following other review blogs and you can check out how some others are writing their review. Congratulations and good luck!

Jessica *The Lovely Books* (jessybabe) | 30 comments Yes, I second what Lynn said.

message 3: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 76 comments I third that. :)
When I write reviews, I like to talk about the characters, and then I talk a little about the plot. What I liked, and what I didn't like.

message 4: by a_tiffyfit (new)

a_tiffyfit | 6 comments I fourth or fifth that! Lol I trends to write from my gut without giving away plot points. I mention things that tossed me out of what I call reader zone. I praise things I liked. I try to be honest without being disrespectful or rude.

message 5: by a_tiffyfit (new)

a_tiffyfit | 6 comments Tend. Sorry. Written from my phone!

message 6: by texxie-PRUFreads.blogspot.com (last edited Jun 02, 2013 06:01PM) (new)

texxie-PRUFreads.blogspot.com (prufreadsblogspotcom) | 198 comments on my blog, I tend to give a quick plot/character break down and then my thoughts. I personally don't think there is a right or wrong way, aside from "spoiling" without warning. good luck, I really enjoy it!

message 7: by Trina (last edited Jun 12, 2013 11:28AM) (new)

Trina (afterdarkrendezvous) | 1 comments I always give the authors synopsis, then my review. I'm never nasty but I'm honest. There's enough negativity in the world! I never spoil the plot. I was on B&N one time and was horrified that a well known book blogger gave a chapter by chapter breakdown of a book, that's a huge nono for me. Why would anyone do that? It gave away everything! Why would you buy the book after that? Just my opinion though.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments I fly by the seat of my pants with my reviews...

BUT, one word of advice I find helpful, write the review as if you were telling a good book friend pros/cons to buying that book, and pretend the author is there listening to you. I always find it's easier to leave out truly 'evil' stuff out of a review when I'm writing it as if the author is listening in, or looking over my shoulder and knows I am writing that review. Being online- it gives this nameless/faceless sense of false security and can make reviews nastier and snarkier.

And even in the 'worst' books, try to find one thing that isn't as bad. It helps soften the blows (of listing the 'bad')

Just my $0.02

message 9: by MarieJ (new)

MarieJ (kindleaddict66) | 8 comments I've only ever left a few reviews, I'm just too embarrassed to write them them as I read the reviews on here and mine are never nearly as good : (

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments Marie I am sure that isn't true at all! Don't ever be afraid to express your thoughts, I am sure they aren't as bad as you think they are.

message 11: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda I don't like it at all when, after I've made a review or comment, someone who doesn't like it comes right out and disagrees with what I said. People should respect each other's individuality instead of responding as though they're right and others are outright in error.
Give everyone a chance to speak out.
Our opinions are based on our life experiences.

message 12: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) I tend to keep my reviews brief, and don't go into a lot of detail. I admire reviewers who do, but I guess I just like not giving so much of the story away. I prefer the "teaser" approach.

message 13: by MarieJ (new)

MarieJ (kindleaddict66) | 8 comments Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) wrote: "Marie I am sure that isn't true at all! Don't ever be afraid to express your thoughts, I am sure they aren't as bad as you think they are."

Ah thanks,that's very kind if you Mlpmom : )

message 14: by Jeanae (new)

Jeanae Tyra (jeanaetyra) | 44 comments I just give my concluded emotion(s) of the book and why. Then I say all the funny parts and who I liked/hated/LOVED.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann Gimpel | 45 comments I keep my reviews brief and to the point. I say something about the characters and the plot and the craft. Some writers have great story ideas, but their craft is poor with slithery POV, infodumps, and tons of tell. I never do less than 3 star reviews, so if I really didn't like a book, I won't write a review of it. I understand this is pretty subjective, but for everyone who doesn't care for something, there are others who do.

message 16: by C.C. (new)

C.C. | 219 comments I'm sort of an emotional reviewer. lol So, I review based on how I felt for that book. I try to as honest as I can and sometimes it comes out harsh. Anyway, I try to write a little bit about the characters, the plot and the writing style. Although, most of the time I just point out the things that I liked and didn't like and use .gifs for emphasis

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann Gimpel | 45 comments I review most, but not all, the books I read. If I can't find much in the way of redeeming qualities, I don't review. For the books I do review, I say something about characterization and plot development including pacing/tension. And I try to balance any concerns with positives. My opinion is just that: mine. The way I see any book may well not match someone else's opinion and I try to say that, too.

I've been on the receiving end of lots of reviews that have been, essentially, one sentence. And I'm here to tell ya that while, "I loved this book" feels better than, "this book sucked." Neither "review" gives me anything to work with to improve my writing. Even worse is when someone leaves a 1 or 2 star rating with NO review, leaving me wondering just what it was about my book that didn't work for them--or, in my worse moments, if they even read it at all.

message 18: by ~Thena~ (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 63 comments I've been trying to make a point to review every book I read now, but I don't have a formula. I just say whatever I'm thinking about the book. My reviews are mostly written to help me remember how I felt. Sometimes they're only a couple of sentences, sometimes a few paragraphs. Unless I'm specifically reading a book to review it. Then I'll make it a point to be more detailed and address the plot, writing, pacing, world building, and characters.

message 19: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Kenney (jennyakenney) | 38 comments If I read the whole book without throwing it across the room...it earns 3 stars...

For 4 it must hold my interest that whole time...

For 5 it must WOW me and make me look for another book by the same author(s)...