YA LGBT Books discussion

LGBT Events and Charities > LGBT Pride month - list your favorite LGBTQ heroes

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Rooyen (suzannevanrooyen) | 22 comments Hi everyone,

Since June is LGBT Pride month, I'm running a giveaway over at my blog. The whole point of the giveaway is to get people to comment with who they think is a QUILTBAG hero or role model, real or fictional, alive or dead. Some examples include Ellen DeGeneres and Captain Jack Harkness. I'm compiling a list for a new blog feature I want to start running in July. If anyone feels like popping by my blog to enter the giveaway that's awesome - otherwise, if you just want to comment here with who your QUILTBAG heroes are that would be awesome too!

Thanks,
Suzanne

message 2: by Kaje (last edited Jun 02, 2013 02:36PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments I'm going with two men who recently stepped up and became out and proud gay figures in American professional sports: NBA center Jason Collins and soccer player Robbie Rogers. Professional team sports has been one of the last bastions of homophobia, and it's time that changes. I'm really grateful to both of these men for speaking up, and showing the world, especially young LGBTQ teens, that you can be gay and be big and tough and play professional sports.

message 3: by Louise (last edited Jun 02, 2013 05:03PM) (new)

Louise (lw95) | 795 comments I have to say Ellen DeGeneres is definitely one on her own and Ellen DeGeneres and Portia De Rossi as a couple.

My reason that I've put them separately is because Ellen is just a role model in herself - she promotes kindness, helps people, spreads fun and laughter, as a few examples. And then Ellen and Portia as a couple are brilliant role models for the LGBTQ community (sorry, I don't like the term QUILTBAG) because they don't care what people think about them being a same-sex couple and they don't treat the relationship as 'different' which some people do see same-sex relationship as. They aren't afraid to show their love to each other in public and in the media (I've seen them together on The Ellen Show and Oprah and they're so obviously comfortable with each other). They also disprove the stereotypes some people have based on lesbians such as being butch, having tattoos, drinking loads etc. But yeah, I definitely love them two :)

Edit
Jim Parsons too - He's just hilarious! Strangely enough I can't think of anyone from the UK...

message 4: by Gabby (new)

Gabby | 166 comments Here's a few...i'm just going to list them because I think they're all awesome!

-Neil Patrick Harris
-Jane Lynch
-Ellen DeGeneres

message 5: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments Louise wrote: "im Parsons too - He's just hilarious! Strangely enough I can't think of anyone from the UK... ..."

Eddie Izzard? Elton John?

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam | 30 comments Russel T Davies. I really like Doctor Who, and I admire him for bringing it back and I really liked most of his writing. I also really like how he managed to casually integrate LGBTQ characters into the show. And honestly, I feel like scriptwriters don't get enough credit for the good stuff they do.

The Doctor. While his orientation isn't addressed much on screen and he's always been in relationships with females, it's implied a few times that he's been in relationships with males, and I always see him as pansexual. Since Timelords can regenerate as a different gender, I would think that all Timelords would be pansexual, but that aspect of Timelord regeneration hasn't been explored much in canon. I also feel like I can really relate to him because he's smart about most things but still really awkward with people in some of his regenerations. And come on, him and the Master totally had something going on.

Various roller derby skaters. I would list a few, but I don't remember how publicly out they all are, so...

Madame Vastra and Jenny Flint. "I'm a lizard woman from the land before time. And this is my wife." And we're both awesome Victorian detectives.

Brittney Griner, from what I've seen of her, has seemed to be a pretty good role model and generally cool person.

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Rooyen (suzannevanrooyen) | 22 comments Thank you so much for all the awesome people! If you think of any others please let me know!

message 8: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Rooyen (suzannevanrooyen) | 22 comments Louise wrote: "I have to say Ellen DeGeneres is definitely one on her own and Ellen DeGeneres and Portia De Rossi as a couple.

My reason that I've put them separately is because Ellen is just a role model in he..."

Can I ask why you dislike the term QUILTBAG?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Louise wrote: "I have to say Ellen DeGeneres is definitely one on her own and Ellen DeGeneres and Portia De Rossi as a couple.

My reason that I've put them separately is because Ellen is just a role model in he..."

I'm also an Ellen DeGeneres fan. She's never wavered in her course, for so many years, she's been so strong and such a public figure to look up to. And she's really funny too, so, that just makes her the best.

message 10: by K (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments Louise wrote: "Strangely enough I can't think of anyone from the UK....."

Really :)

I think I would start with Claire Balding and Stephen Fry as good LGBTQ* role models from here.

message 11: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments Suzanne wrote: "Can I ask why you dislike the term QUILTBAG? .."

We had quite a discussion about generalizable terms for the LGBTQ community here - I think most of the objections to the term QUILTBAG is that it's an ugly-sounding word (to some people, reminiscent of insults with the word "bag" on the end) and that it's hard to use personally. You can say "I'm queer" or "I'm gay" but "I'm QUILTBAG" sounds odd.

message 12: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Rooyen (suzannevanrooyen) | 22 comments Kaje wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Can I ask why you dislike the term QUILTBAG? .."

We had quite a discussion about generalizable terms for the LGBTQ community here - I think most of the objections to the term QUIL..."

OK - I actually kind of like the term personally - easy to say and covers all the various sexualities better than just the LGBTQ tag does. But I can understand some objecting to the 'bag' part.

message 13: by SibylM (new)

SibylM (sibyldiane) | 2 comments Definitely Adam Lambert :)
He's done lots of work for various LGBT charities and organizations such as The Trevor Project and the True Colors Fund. He just received the Davidson Award from GLAAD. And he was the first out gay man to have a no. 1 record on the Billboard chart.

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Rooyen (suzannevanrooyen) | 22 comments Sibyl wrote: "Definitely Adam Lambert :)
He's done lots of work for various LGBT charities and organizations such as The Trevor Project and the True Colors Fund. He just received the Davidson Award from GLAAD. A..."

Great suggestion - thank you!

message 15: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments Sibyl wrote: "Definitely Adam Lambert :)
..."

Oh yes.

And can I add Johnny Weir - not the first out gay figure skater, but one of the first to be willing to be flaming and flamboyant and proud of it, and to have his marriage and husband in the public eye. He shows how eyeliner and athleticism are not mutually exclusive.

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 93 comments First ones that come to mind are:
Stephen Fry
Oscar Wilde
Sarah Waters
Graham Norton
Andrej Pejic
Chris Colfer
John Barrowman

message 17: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Rooyen (suzannevanrooyen) | 22 comments Thank you for some more great names :)

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 93 comments Real people:
E.M. Forster
Zachary Quinto

Fictional characters:
Maurice & Alec from Maurice
Albus Dumbledore from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

message 19: by Louise (new)

Louise (lw95) | 795 comments Suzanne wrote: "Can I ask why you dislike the term QUILTBAG? "

It just sounds offensive to me and I feel if it were to become more widely used then it could easily be used as an insult as it sounds degrading. It also reminds me of the word 'scumbag' (not sure how widely used that is?)

Ahh yes, I knew there were people in the UK, I just couldn't think of them off the top of my head :)

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 93 comments Louise wrote: "It just sounds offensive to me and I feel if it were to become more widely used then it could easily be used as an insult as it sounds degrading. It also reminds me of the word 'scumbag' (not sure how widely used that is?)"

+1

message 21: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Rooyen (suzannevanrooyen) | 22 comments Louise wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Can I ask why you dislike the term QUILTBAG? "

It just sounds offensive to me and I feel if it were to become more widely used then it could easily be used as an insult as it sound..."

Interesting - I never thought about the scumbag connection. You've given me something to think about thank you.

I'm the type of person who rarely takes offense and has an extremely thick skin so I'm not the most sensitive when it comes how certain words might be misconstrued or misused.

message 22: by Gabby (new)

Gabby | 166 comments Okay...for fictional characters, i'd have to choose the one and only

MAGNUS BANE from the City of Bones books and he's gotten his own series called "The Bane Chronicles"

I seriously want to marry him!! :)

message 23: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Harrington (trishaharrington) | 101 comments At the moment I would say mine is Macklemore. He is a rapper who has a song about equality. I think that is truly amazing. :)

message 24: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments Trisha - No Cheating or Menage Allowed wrote: "At the moment I would say mine is Macklemore. He is a rapper who has a song about equality. I think that is truly amazing. :)"

Wow, one more place where the support is unexpected, and so welcome.

message 25: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Harrington (trishaharrington) | 101 comments Kaje wrote: "Trisha - No Cheating or Menage Allowed wrote: "At the moment I would say mine is Macklemore. He is a rapper who has a song about equality. I think that is truly amazing. :)"

Wow, one more place wh..."

I agree. He is amazing and "Same Love" has to be my new favourite song. He's straight, too. Which is even better!

message 26: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Rooyen (suzannevanrooyen) | 22 comments Thank you everyone!

message 27: by Gabby (last edited Jul 21, 2013 08:53PM) (new)

Gabby | 166 comments Trisha - No Cheating or Menage Allowed wrote: "At the moment I would say mine is Macklemore. He is a rapper who has a song about equality. I think that is truly amazing. :)"

Macklemore isn't gay.

message 28: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments Yeah, Trisha said that. But you're right, that's expanding "LGBTQ Hero" to include an ally. Still worth a mention though, as the world of rap music has been one of the most prejudiced and narrow genres of music to date.

message 29: by Gabby (new)

Gabby | 166 comments Kaje wrote: "Yeah, Trisha said that. But you're right, that's expanding "LGBTQ Hero" to include an ally. Still worth a mention though, as the world of rap music has been one of the most prejudiced and narrow ..."

Aaah, I see now, I didn't read the comments fully. Sorry.

message 30: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments No worries - you are right that it expands the question.

message 31: by Eli (new)

Eli (elknight20) | 19 comments This may bring some back, but...
Xena & Gabrielle are my top faves. :)

And a BUNCH of comic book characters like Batwoman/Kate Kane, Batwoman/Wonder Woman/Artemis/Cheetah/Etta Candy, & Renee Montoya, Scandal Savage/Liana/Kay, Phylla-Vell/Moondragon, Barbara Gordon/Dinah Lance, Apollo/Midnighter, Rictor/Shatterstar,Wiccan/Hulking,Creote/Savant, Harley Quinn/Poison Ivy/Catwoman,Peter David's Linda Danvers/Supergirl & Comet,Emma Frost/Jean Grey... Just to name a few. ;)

In real life? Listing everyone named in this post.
:)

message 32: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Rooyen (suzannevanrooyen) | 22 comments Esther wrote: "This may bring some back, but...

And a BUNCH of comic book characters like Batwoman/Kate Kane, Batwoman/Wonder Woman/Artemis/Cheetah/Etta Candy, & Renee Monto..."

Thank you for great suggestions!

message 33: by Eli (new)

Eli (elknight20) | 19 comments Suzanne wrote: "Esther wrote: "This may bring some back, but...

And a BUNCH of comic book characters like Batwoman/Kate Kane, Batwoman/Wonder Woman/Artemis/Cheetah/Etta Candy..."

Anytime! :)