YAholics Anonymous! discussion

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
This topic is about The Hunger Games
Book Discussion > The Hunger Games *Spoilers Possible*

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

ali  ᵏᵉᵉᵖ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᵐᵒᵘᵗʰ ˢʰᵘᵗ (time_wont_fly) Okay, I know, this is one of the most read books ever, but I just wanted to see what everyone thought about it. :)

Post your thoughts here. Did you like it, not like it? Did you think it recieved too much praise, or too little praise? Tell us what you thought, and what you liked about it. :)

PS: Please put anything that will give the plot away, ect. in spoilers. Thank you!

message 2: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat (kaitlins16) This book deserves all the praise that has been given it. It truly is a fantastic one. :)

Sara (abookbuff) | 26 comments I absolutely love this trilogy. Every time I hear about it, my fangirl mode switches on!

Nordlys | 35 comments I was quite sceptical to this trilogy before I read it, but I'm really glad I did, because I loved it. It's so good and I really like how brutal she can be in it, showing that wars really have no winners.

ali  ᵏᵉᵉᵖ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᵐᵒᵘᵗʰ ˢʰᵘᵗ (time_wont_fly) I started this book on my fathers reccomendation. I am proud to say I read the book before the craze came on. The truth was, I finished it, like, the day before it became extremely popular. I just loved this book! It was amazing! I never re-read books, but I certainly would re-read this one. :)

One question: One of my teacher has a hypothesis that the capital knew the Katniss was hunting in the woods. She thinks that they picked her sisters name on purpose, to get Katniss to join the Hunger Games and get killed, so the threat of her running away would deminish. Their plan didn't work so well. So, what do you think? Do you think that this is true or not true? Please give your popinions below. I will give my opinion after there is at least one post.

Cassie (cannefrye) | 226 comments Mod
Loved THG. It's the book that really opened the door to YA for me.

As for that theory, I think it's unlikely. Very unlikely. Prim was chosen by chance. And why didn't they just pull Katniss' name if they wanted her in the games?

Nordlys | 35 comments I agree, I think that is unlikely. If they knew they would have gotten rid of her some way I think. Or they would turn on the electricity in the fence.

Nordlys | 35 comments By the way, is this just for the first one, or the whole trilogy? Can we mention spoilers from the other two books?

ali  ᵏᵉᵉᵖ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᵐᵒᵘᵗʰ ˢʰᵘᵗ (time_wont_fly) I also thought it was unlikely. Some students brought up the fact that why wouldn't they have just killed her in the first place, or even just stopped her from hunting. I can also see reason with my teacher. Maybe they wanted, as cruel as the capital is, to give the people a good show. So, they picked Prim's name, knowing that Katniss cared enough to volenteer. It would have spiced things up.

Though, my true opinion is that my teacher's theory is not right.

@Nordlys: Well, I intended it for the first book, but I say that discussing the whole series would be better.

Brittany | 3369 comments Mod
As far as I'm concerned, THG deserved all the hype it got. There were great characters, a compelling plot, great pacing... I practically inhaled the books. And, in my opinion, the movie lived up pretty well to the book, too. :)

Nordlys | 35 comments Brittany wrote: "As far as I'm concerned, THG deserved all the hype it got. There were great characters, a compelling plot, great pacing... I practically inhaled the books. And, in my opinion, the movie lived up pr..."

I agree, and I think her writing style is superb. I definitely think they deserved the hype. I have to admit that my first reaction when I heard about it was Battle Royale (as many others thought of too), but reading them they are so different, with such different focuses that I think the whole similarity discussion is a bit silly...
As for the movie, I thought it was alright, and I love that the wonderful Jennifer Lawrence was cast as Katniss:D

Brittany | 3369 comments Mod
Nordlys wrote: "I agree, I think that is unlikely. If they knew they would have gotten rid of her some way I think. Or they would turn on the electricity in the fence."

I imagine it would be for the whole series, especially considering that most of the drama happened in the second and third books.

Nordlys | 35 comments Brittany wrote: "Nordlys wrote: "I agree, I think that is unlikely. If they knew they would have gotten rid of her some way I think. Or they would turn on the electricity in the fence."

I imagine it would be for t..."

Yeah, and they are so connected that it is more interesting to discuss all three at the same time I think:)
Apart from the Battle Royale image that people gave the story, I knew nothing about it, so the way the two last books developed was really good I think. I remember I was worried that she would just have three different hunger games, one in each book, hehe.

ali  ᵏᵉᵉᵖ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᵐᵒᵘᵗʰ ˢʰᵘᵗ (time_wont_fly) Okay. :)

This discussion is now for all three books

roshay (sadderdaze) Definitely amazing. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. Awesome.

Gloria I loved this serie too :D
But I didn't like the third book ad much as I liked the two other ones :/
But it was still awesome !! XD

ali  ᵏᵉᵉᵖ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᵐᵒᵘᵗʰ ˢʰᵘᵗ (time_wont_fly) I am planning on re-reading the third book. Honestly, it let me down, so that's why I'm going to re-read it, to see if I like it any better the second time around.

Nordlys | 35 comments Why did you guys not like the third one as much?

Unidragonfrag The series was great, but the third was a letdown. So many people that didn't have to die did and I feel bad for Katniss ending up with Peeta. I hate that lame ass dude -.-

ali  ᵏᵉᵉᵖ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᵐᵒᵘᵗʰ ˢʰᵘᵗ (time_wont_fly) Me too! Gosh. They let too many people die. And she should have been with Gale! Although, Peeta is okay for her. Just not great.

message 22: by Riya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riya | 753 comments Mod
Loved it, except for Mockingjay which was quite bad....

ali  ᵏᵉᵉᵖ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᵐᵒᵘᵗʰ ˢʰᵘᵗ (time_wont_fly) XD Mockingjay obviously disappointed some people.

May I ask; What was it that disappointed you most? What would you have changed, what was your favorite part?

message 24: by Riya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riya | 753 comments Mod
I never relaly got into it. THe plot didn't grip me at all, and I also felt all the characters went downhill- they were nothing like the people they were in the earlier books. I would've changed the plot, I can deal with teh characters since it's important for them to grow, but I found myself completley bored by the plot :( And I'm not really sure what my favorite part was :/ I'm gonna reread Mockingjay sometime soon, so maybe I'll let you know then :)

message 26: by Riya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riya | 753 comments Mod
No problemo!!! :)

ali  ᵏᵉᵉᵖ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᵐᵒᵘᵗʰ ˢʰᵘᵗ (time_wont_fly) Yes, and while she did do a good job of describing the trauma, in my opinion she added too much. Every great book needs some good dramatics in it, but this was too overfilled with it. It seemed like it was too fast paced near the end, and it just went on drama overload. To me, it made the book sorely bad. I still liked it, but it just wasn't as good. I did like, though, how she showed that Katniss, as well as the others, might end up as heartless as the capital.

Jojobean I loved it and everything about it. The movie was awesome

message 29: by Maya (new) - added it

Maya Pankratz (simply__stardustx) | 98 comments I absolutely loved this book, as well as the rest of the series, but I thought Katniss and Gale should have ended up together.

message 30: by Riya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riya | 753 comments Mod
YES- GALE :D