Written in Red (The Others, #1) Written in Red discussion

Asia Crane, what was the deal?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emilie (last edited Jun 02, 2013 11:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emilie Though I liked the suspense building up as Asia plotted against Meg and The Other's, I found the whole background story a bit odd... She was doing research for "Sparkly Town"? I might've missed something crucial here, but wasn't that a bit weird of a background story?Why couldn't she just be in the Courtyard just for her own entertainment and reaching for opportunities as they came along (such as the whole deal with Sam)...?

Shells Storm Well I think that Asia's shadowy boss could possibly come into play later. She was so idiotic, and her motivation was so shallow. She was basically a wanna be actress that some unknown villain was using to spy on various people, including the Others. So who knows Who her boss is or what he is up to

Emilie I guess. But couldn't she just have been a wannabe secret agent?

I really feel I missed something here...

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam Asia was a spy. She thought of herself as an investigator, but since she was investigating what was essentially an embassy for a foreign government, spy is more accurate.

Confusing her status is Asia's delusion that she was researching an acting role

If Asia was smarter she would have realized that spying sabotaged any future acting career, but instead she listened to whatever lies Bigwig fed her to keep her spying

Dianne Emilie wrote: "Though I liked the suspense building up as Asia plotted against Meg and The Other's, I found the whole background story a bit odd... She was doing research for "Sparkly Town"? I might've missed som..."Sparkletown is an analogy occasionally used for Hollywood. If you were older you might have heard this term used before.

Asia was an idiot being used by money men and thought that she could make her way to the top by riding the casting couch. It was interesting for Ms Bishop to use so many analogies and cliches from the 1930's 40's and 50's.

Dianne Shells wrote: "Well I think that Asia's shadowy boss could possibly come into play later. She was so idiotic, and her motivation was so shallow. She was basically a wanna be actress that some unknown villain was ..."

I can't wait for March! I think at least one of Asia's bosses are still going to be after Meg. Since one of them is the head of the place Meg was in...

With Asia out of the way, how do you think Ms Bishop is going to show how evil humans can be?

Do you think there will be more about Meg's blood and that new drug or do you think Ms Bishop will hold off on that story line until the last book?

I do so love how Anne Bishop can take what we have always thought of as evil (think the Jewels books) and make it seem a perfectly normal and sensible place to live. I mean it takes an amazing story-teller to make a reader beleive that Hell is as wonderful as it sounded or filled with such loving caring people.

*sorry I think I'm babbling about this - I need more coffee before I make much(any) sense!*

Autumn Hanna The nest book is named A Murder of Crows, so I am pretty sure there will be more about the drug; if you remember in the story they mentioned that the one thing linking all the savage attacks where the drug was involved was crows being killed before hand. I am not sure how much she will tell, but I suspect that they will maybe learn more about how her blood is affecting humans and others, and then maybe in the third book they find a way to stop them using the blood, or a way to counteract it.

I am wondering if Bishop is going to take us to one of the compounds that Meg was in, to get a better look at how the CS live, and maybe free a some of them. It would be interesting to see how different or similar Meg is to her own kind.

As far as Asia goes, she needed to be stupid. Meg is a person who was locked away all her life, she had little dealings with the outside world, so she was not in the habit of seeing a lot of people being manipulated. And the others do not understand the motivations of humans, that is mainly why there have been so many wars. To the others something is what it is, where as humans may make something seem like it is one way, when it is really another. So if you had a very smart spy in the story, they may have been able to manipulate all the characters to the point where there would have been no story. I see Asia as a starter character that the others and Meg can test theirselves out on. Hopefully in the next book, we will see an evolution of the others and Meg with their understanding of the outside world and the difference between humans who wish to harm, and humans who wish to live in peace and share a culture with the others. In this growth, I expect to see a smarter, deadlier villain.

Emilie Dianne wrote: "Emilie wrote: "Though I liked the suspense building up as Asia plotted against Meg and The Other's, I found the whole background story a bit odd... She was doing research for "Sparkly Town"? I migh..."

Well, that was nice and condecending, wasn't it? Here to brighten my day. How old do you think I am? I might not remember the 30's but I am old enough to read books and have an opinion about them.

I don't mind the term "Sparkletown" one bit. I love the way the Others have simple and somewhat childish names for things. "Rund and Thump" must be my favorite! I just didn't get why Asia's back story was relevant... Or that it was this particular one. Couldn't she just be a spy for Meg's controller? The whole thing was so out of place for me. It just bugged me.