Talk About It! discussion

Moving

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ella (new)

Ella Many people have moved in their lives. Some only from one house to another within a city, some to a new city, some to a new state, some to a new country, some even to a new continent. Share about your experiences here.

message 2: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (jazzyjams) | 77 comments I've never moved once in my life (well I got my own room a few months ago but I dont think that counts :P).
There's this one guy who moved down the street from me, and it was his (I think...) 3rd move. The idea of moving is just weird to me, so I'm looking forwards to seeing everyone else's thoughts on this

message 3: by Ella (new)

Ella I've moved a few times. The first time I moved was almost 6 years ago, I was 8. I was living in Finland, and then my parents told me we were moving to the US (more specifically, Indiana). I was shocked. (I had always wanted to move, because it seemed cool, and most of my friends had moved, but nothing that extreme, but just within the city we lived in.) I had to learn English. My mom says that when we moved, I knew less than 100 words in English. And that includes the numbers from 0 to 20. It was a hard adjustment. I did not adapt well. I was really mean that year.
Then a year later, we moved from Indiana to Ohio (only about an hour east). I hadn't really had time to dig my roots deep there, so it wasn't as hard. This also gave me the opportunity to change for the better. I'm really thankful for that opportunity now. Now I've lived here for 5 years.
Now I'm moving this summer back to Finland. And I've had time to settle in and get comfortable. It's going to be really hard, I think. In the middle of this last year, I started to withdraw from my friends, trying to make my move easier for them (and me). I realized finally that this would just make it more painful, so I got closer to a lot of them in the last few months. (Hey, anyone who is reading this and knows me in real life, I'll miss seeing you guys face to face! This may be kind of hard to read for you... Sorry.) Okay, I'll just stop now before I start crying. Oh, too late, already did.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 07, 2013 10:20PM) (new)

I've only moved when I was 5 months old, from New York to California. Can't say it was stressful or anything because I hardly remember it! I don't have many friends in my school because I get wallowed up in my books all day, but it would probably still be painful if I moved now.

(And that time as a 5-month-old was the first time I ever laughed, according to my mother. My grandmother stripped duct tape off our luggage, and apparently I found that very hilarious. I don't remember a thing.)

@Ella: that sounds awful! I've never had to deal with that before, it must have been sad and stressful for you. But I'm glad you ended up coping with it. All the best in your move to Finland! :)

message 5: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Jocelyn wrote: "I've only moved when I was 5 months old, from New York to California. Can't say it was stressful or anything because I hardly remember it! I don't have many friends in my school because I get wallo..."

For a minute, I thought that said "last time I ever laughed" and I just thought, "Darn, Jocelyn's being kind of emo."

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments I've moved twice. Once I remember and once I don't (I was also five that first time). But the second time was basically moving from one suburb in the city to another. And it was only a half an hour from where I used to live (oddly enough my University is practically in the area I used to live).

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: 'For a minute, I thought that said "last time I ever laughed" and I just thought, "Darn, Jocelyn's being kind of emo."'

>_> I'm always emo...

message 8: by Lydia (last edited Jun 08, 2013 12:43AM) (new)

Lydia Jocelyn wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: 'For a minute, I thought that said "last time I ever laughed" and I just thought, "Darn, Jocelyn's being kind of emo."'

>_> I'm always emo..."

Not quite that emo though.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I've only moved once, and that was when I was three years old, so... I don't exactly remember. In fact, I don't remember anything before my kindergarten orientation day - except small flashes of playing with kids at the park and going to preschool.

I think that I would hate to move around a lot, :/

message 10: by Lydia (new)

Lydia I've never moved. I was actually born in the house I currently live in, so I think I was destined to be a home-body.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "I've never moved. I was actually born in the house I currently live in, so I think I was destined to be a home-body."

Aww that's great :)

message 12: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Yeah, it is pretty cool. I'm the only kid in my family to not be born in a hospital.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, that is cool. Now you can't ever move out or it'll ruin it :) (view spoiler)

message 14: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Ha, that's not really an issue at this point. I don't really have any interest to move right now, and I can barely even leave my room, so there's really no danger of my leaving.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Well my mum tried to threaten me that I'd have to move out and I told her that I would and I'd move to Canberra or Melbourne and she laughed at me. But I'm not moving out yet :)

message 16: by Lydia (new)

Lydia I don't really plan to move out till much later. I'm kind of attached to my house.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha :D is it more than one floor? I have literally never been in a multi storey house. Oh! does it have a basement??

message 18: by Lydia (new)

Lydia It's two floors with a basement. But the basement is kind of a piece of junk so there's no cool game room down there or anything. Is your house just one floor then?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never been in a basement :/ Yep, just one floor, nothing exciting.

message 20: by Ella (new)

Ella Lydia, I'll warn you already, since you haven't moved before, if you do move, it will be very hard. The longer you live somewhere, the harder it is to leave (there are exceptions, of course). Well, this applies to everyone, not just you.

message 21: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Well, I don't plan on moving anytime soon. I'd need a job and some additional education first. But when I do move, I'm sure it'll be hard. (And I'll probably, you know, cry.)

message 22: by Ella (new)

Ella Lydia, I don't think "cry" is the correct word. I believe "bawl" is slightly more accurate. :)

message 23: by Lydia (new)

Lydia True. When I start crying, it tends to turn into really intense sobbing, but I rarely cry because I'm good at holding it in. I've developed a system to prevent it.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "True. When I start crying, it tends to turn into really intense sobbing, but I rarely cry because I'm good at holding it in. I've developed a system to prevent it."

Share the system please!

message 25: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Haha, it's just generic stuff that most people probably do. Like, biting the inside of your cheek, pinching your arm, biting your lip, that sort of thing. The most effective, however, is to look upward. If you look down, than your tears start falling, but if you force your eyes to look at the ceiling, then your eyes start drying. Just some tips I've noticed.

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 09, 2013 10:27PM) (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "Haha, it's just generic stuff that most people probably do. Like, biting the inside of your cheek, pinching your arm, biting your lip, that sort of thing. The most effective, however, is to look up..."

Looking upward is something I do a lot when holding back tears, though if you want to look down (say someone is taller than you) you have to do it fast. Luckily I don't cry very often. Nowadays, most of my crying is from reading some heartbreaking book than real-life situations, really.

message 27: by Lydia (new)

Lydia So I'm not the only one who does this! I don't cry too often either, but whenever I get emotional, I find this a useful tip in preventing tears.

I've only ever cried a couple of times reading, so I definitely cry more in real-life situations. I think my total of book-inspired-crying is maybe three times.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "Haha, it's just generic stuff that most people probably do. Like, biting the inside of your cheek, pinching your arm, biting your lip, that sort of thing. The most effective, however, is to look up..."

Yes, the looking upward thing definitely works. I have found that avoiding talking to ANYONE while almost on the verge of tears also helps.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Jocelyn wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "Haha, it's just generic stuff that most people probably do. Like, biting the inside of your cheek, pinching your arm, biting your lip, that sort of thing. The most effecti..."

I think in the past few months I have cried a tonne more than ever before in my life and I owe it all to stress and freaking out over mathematics. Bloody maths. I love doing it but I hate its complexity all at the same time :/

message 30: by Ella (new)

Ella I'm a crier. I cry through books, I cry if someone yells at me, I cry if someone else is crying, I cry if I don't do well on a school assignment, and the thing is, I can't stop. Then people ask me "What's wrong?" and I either say something like, "Just don't talk to me!" or "I just can't stop." And then when a good friend moves away, nope, no tears. Not a single one. My Spanish teacher said I'm like a vase on a table, I let the water into the vase when big things happen, and I don't let them out, and then when one small thing happens, it shakes the table, and the vase falls and breaks, and all the water is let out.

message 31: by Danny, Business Bro (new)

Danny | 194 comments Mod
Look what you started, Lydia. This thread has become incredibly emo.

message 32: by Ella (new)

Ella It was to begin with. Or at least it was supposed to. :) Moving is a hard subject, like it or not. And some people need to Talk About It to get over stuff.

But Danny, don't blame your sister, I started this, not her.

message 33: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Yes, don't blame your sister :P

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Come now Danny, that's not very supportive! >:D We're all sorta emo.

message 35: by Ella (new)

Ella Oh, we all love a nice girls v. boys argument, don't we? :P

message 36: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Jocelyn wrote: "Come now Danny, that's not very supportive! >:D We're all sorta emo."

Hey, I'm not emo! Don't generalize for all of us.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Lydia just doesn't want to admit it.

message 38: by Ella (new)

Ella Jocelyn wrote: "Lydia just doesn't want to admit it."

You know it!

message 39: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Jocelyn wrote: "Lydia just doesn't want to admit it."

You think I'm emo?

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Well--um, yes.

message 41: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Well, if we're hurling insults, I'm sure I could think of a few...

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll just call you Inquisitor Hobo from now on. That ought to be an insult enough!

But come on, surely you must be emo sometimes.

message 43: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Hey, I believe I said you were not allowed to use that name!

Ha, actually, I'm usually very upbeat. Once in a blue moon, I'll get a bit depressed but it's very rare.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Can I ask why you are even called Inquisitor Hobo to start with?

Everyone gets a little bit emo sometimes...right?

message 45: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Emily wrote: "Can I ask why you are even called Inquisitor Hobo to start with?"

No.

message 46: by Ella (new)

Ella Emily wrote: "Can I ask why you are even called Inquisitor Hobo to start with?"

Blame Danny. Brothers have interesting senses of humor.

message 47: by Ella (last edited Jun 12, 2013 10:57AM) (new)

Ella Going back to the girls v. guys argument, I created a poll for it in this group. http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/85... All the other polls aren't that exciting, so I decided we should have one like this.
Thanks, Jocelyn, for voting!

message 48: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 13, 2013 05:06AM) (new)

Ella wrote: "Going back to the girls v. guys argument, I created a poll for it in this group. http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/85... All th..."

It does depend what type of argument though - verbal, physical, staring contest, I don't know - and the group of people, and also the topic of the argument.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "Emily wrote: "Can I ask why you are even called Inquisitor Hobo to start with?"

No."

Okaaaaay then....

message 50: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (jazzyjams) | 77 comments I agree with you people... everyone gets emo sometimes (some are just better at hiding it...)

Ella: I voted Girls on principle (Girl power! ;D) but I think it depends on the group of people. I know some guys who could anyone at an argument, while I also know some girls that could beat a dude in a athletic contest.

« previous 1