Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1) Gardens of the Moon question

New to the series
Varun Varun Jun 02, 2013 10:20AM
I am not that attracted to get into a fantasy series which is "not completed" (technically at least).
A friend has suggested me this series and told me this series is pretty long but it is "completed".

Do you believe this series is easy to read or (intriguing enough to stick with) for a new reader ?.
I really don't mind the complexity of the language/plot as long as the series is of high caliber.

Having said that do you guys recommend this to me ?

I don't know what kind of stuff you like, but I believe it's safe to say this series is almost unparalleled in the ambition of it's scope or, at least for me, it's quality.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen cycle contains 10 books and is completed, as envisioned by Erikson. That said, new stories about the universe, containing some of the same places and/or characters are still being written by Erikson and Esslemont, which, if you find yourself liking the series is just awesome news :)

I definitely recommend it, but would say it requires an amount of patience and intelligence from the reader. Nothing gets served on the platter, you need to work a little to reap the benefits.
If you do decide to give it a try and find yourself overwhelmed and needing help, the guys at TOR have started a re-read a couple of years back, reading both Erikson and Esslemont, in the stories' internal chronological order. The discussions IMO are pretty insightful and certainly help in tying various threads together...
The link:
http://www.tor.com/features/series/ma...

Have fun :)
Rgds,
Damir

These books are superb.

Benji (last edited Jun 03, 2013 08:16PM ) Jun 03, 2013 08:13PM   0 votes
Varun wrote: "I am not that attracted to get into a fantasy series which is "not completed" (technically at least).
A friend has suggested me this series and told me this series is pretty long but it is "complet..."

This is the first fantasy series I've read, at least in my adult life, and I was immediately blown away.
You will also find that we Malazan fans are very passionate about the series and therefore incredibly biased

Billy (last edited Feb 07, 2014 06:52AM ) Feb 07, 2014 06:51AM   0 votes
This series is without doubt the pinnacle of fantasy writing. OK, so it's not the easiest to follow and will require your full concentration at all times and no skipping of paragraphs, dialogue etc. but I guarantee you will be fully rewarded for your efforts.
I can fully endorse the above references to http://www.malazanempire.com/ and the re-reads at http://www.tor.com/features/series/ma.... May I also recommend you join the 'Malazan Empire' group on Facebook; if you have any queries about the book, anything at all, the guys on there will help you.

I read the first book in 2002 and wasn't impressed. Then I saw every succeeding volume earning an average four stars or better, and thought I'd better try again. Now I've read all ten and I can say it was well worth it to overcome the obstacle that is the first book and carry on. Every novel in the series is worth reading, there is no slump like in many other series.

I've read the first four books in the series and have to say, its fantastic and well worth your time. Though I do agree with Xavi about the first book, Gardens of the Moon. It didn't grip me right off the bat, but I'm glad I carried on with it.

I've just finished the series (and I loved it), and I want to warn you, Varun, about its difficulty.
It's hard to understand the world of Malaz in the first book. Do not give up.

Callum (last edited Jun 16, 2013 04:49AM ) Jun 16, 2013 04:47AM   0 votes
I just started book 6 - however I left book 5 a few months ago and since then I have completed a number of other books.

Oh and by the way... freaking awesome series. It is deep, it is difficult to understand at times, but it is all worth it. Erikson has a knack for building extremely intruiging characters that just keep me coming back for more!

Wow - I need to get my head back into it! Thankfully, I understand enough of the world to keep reading and 're-pickup' the concepts.

**Thanks Damir for the re-read post from TOR. This should help "quickly" catch up on what I have already read.

Benji Glaab www.malazanempire.com is also a wicked site for Malazan fans. ...more
Jun 19, 2013 08:00PM