Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > HELP!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Derrolyn (new)

Derrolyn Anderson Can anyone help me to update the newest covers on two of my books here? I've been kind of shocked to find out that as the author i can't just go in and add new covers myself :(

The books are : The Athena Effect (The Athena Effect, #1) by Derrolyn Anderson
and, The Mackenzie Legacy (The Athena Effect, #2) by Derrolyn Anderson

The newest covers are available on Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/Derrolyn-Anders...

Smashwords : https://www.smashwords.com/books/sear...

I've written Goodreads for three days with no answer, and I have no idea what to do...

I hate to sound stupid (actually, not really) But, any ideas or help?

message 2: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Jun 02, 2013 10:02AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) You can always add new covers yourself; you just cannot overwrite existing covers. You just create a new alternate cover edition with the new cover or request a librarian to do for you. See author FAQs this group for directions on setting the new covers to be the default/primary covers that then show on your author page, searches, etc.

Goodreads has no product pages. Just data pages. Like a library, goodreads has tons of book editions not currently in print or available for sale—if it was ever published it still stays (and members can catalog their books by whichever edition/bookcover they wish without anyone coming behind them and changing the cover they added to their bookshelves).

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

It's done.

message 4: by Emy (last edited Jun 02, 2013 10:42AM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments Hi Derrolyn

As your books were all previously published with these covers we need to create Alternate Cover Editions rather than swapping out the old ones. I will create those for you now, but so you know for the future, the instructions are below.

EITHER: Just create a new edition without ISBN/ASIN and add the new covers. If you then let us know we can combine them with the old editions. Once the new editions are created and combined with the older ones, you as author can set the a new one as Primary edition (see #4 in the link at the bottom of this post).

OR Alternatively, if you would prefer us to do it, you will need to either upload the new cover to your Personal photos, OR provide us with a link to a NON-Bookseller site, we can add those for you. It would also help to know which formats have new covers.

Check posts #3 & #4 Here if you have any further questions.

Snafu - Changes reverted. Heads up: do NOT change published covers, as it counts as abuse of Librarian privileges, and may get your status revoked :)

message 5: by Derrolyn (new)

Derrolyn Anderson YAAAY!!!

@Debbie : Thanks for the info :) They wouldn't let me create a new book because I have none listed in my profile. (I choose not to review!)

@Snafu : That's what I'm talkin' about!!! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH - You're awesome XD

@Emy : Thank you! I'll definitely come here first in the future - You guys ought to get paid for doing Goodreads's customer service!

message 6: by Derrolyn (new)

Derrolyn Anderson ARGHH! Why did they revert???

message 7: by Emy (last edited Jun 02, 2013 10:43AM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments Derrolyn wrote: "ARGHH! Why did they revert???"

Because Snafu made the changes in error.

The alternate cover editions are now all combined with the original editions. If you follow the instructions here (post #4) you can set the new covers as primary. As Debbie says above, think of this as a library or archive, not as a seller. This means that ALL covers that have existed as retained.

message 8: by Derrolyn (new)

Derrolyn Anderson I added a new book with no ISBN or ASIN. I tried to set the new cover as primary, but it said that it was already primary. Both books showed up on my profile. I combined the editions and it reverted back to the old cover. Now I'm afraid to combine the two covers of the second book.

Why does this have to be so difficult? I want to cry.

message 9: by Derrolyn (new)

Derrolyn Anderson AHA! It changed back!

message 10: by Renske (new)

Renske | 10804 comments You need to combine the editions before setting the new cover as primary.

message 11: by Derrolyn (last edited Jun 02, 2013 11:56AM) (new)

Derrolyn Anderson Renske wrote: "You need to combine the editions before setting the new cover as primary."

I think I finally have it all dialed in :)

Thank you so much to everyone who took a moment to help out a clueless indie. You guys are the best!