Making Connections discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES - Book of The Month > Nominations for July's BOTM - Women's Fiction

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tana (last edited Jun 02, 2013 06:50AM) (new)

Tana (tana_t) | 14665 comments Mod
This book will be selected from an open nomination process. Any book may be nominated as long as it meets the group's BOM nomination criteria*.

The Theme for July is Women's Fiction

The first 10 books that have second and third nominations will be eligible for being voted on by the membership via a poll.

The book with the highest amount of votes will be one of our Books of the Months.

*BOM Nomination Criteria:

All books nominated must be listed in our group under our ARR Programor have been listed in the past under Completed ARR Books.

Please do NOT nominate a book that is part of a series unless it is the first book (at the moderator's discretion)

Nominated books should not have recently been a BOM.
You should check the Book of the Month group bookshelf to make sure the book you nominate has not already been a group read.

Authors if your book wins the BOM you may contact one of the mod's if you’re interested in giving the members it for free with the condition they will write a review.

Anyone can nominate a book, but must be different member to second or third said book.

Any other questions leave us a message below.

message 2: by Tana (new)

Please remember that this BOTM Program is for books that are listed or were listed in our ARR Program.

All books nominated must be in the Women's Fiction Genre.

Nominations will close on June 15th.

message 3: by Jill (last edited Jun 04, 2013 10:00AM) (new)

Jill Sanders (jillmsanders) | 57 comments I'd like to nominate my first book in my Pride Series, Finding Pride. The third book in this series release date is July 1st.

Finding Pride

description

It's a wonderful story about second chances in love & life.

Megan Kimble was traveling a long way to find the next chapter in her life, one that would not include her brother Matt. Losing him now was tragic, even more so since she had finally freed herself from the abuse and the shame of a bad marriage. She had spent years hiding things from Matt, so he wouldn't know about her horrible life. Keeping her secret world of bruises, cuts, and broken bones, much like the one she now sported with a large white cast.

Dealing with her loss was hard, but, now she was thinking of taking over Matt's new business venture. This could be the fresh start she needed, a new town, a new place to forget the pain and maybe she could learn to trust again.

Todd Jordan was a successful businessman, who had once lost it all, and now he had just lost his best friend and business partner. But, then she came into town broken and scared, and for the first time in a long time he was looking forward to his future. Breaking down Megan's barriers would take patience and strength, and he would need that strength to keep what he loves safe.

Trailer video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULkyL...

message 4: by Tracey (last edited Jun 03, 2013 03:52PM) (new)

Tracey Smith | 84 comments I'd like to nominate the first book in my romantic series Love's Fate
The entire Love Trilogy is available Free for review at this link
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...
Love's Fate (Love Trilogy, #1) by Tracey Smith
Connected by Tragedy… Consumed By Love
Do you believe in Fate? Do you believe in soul mates? What if there was just one man out there who was meant for you? Would you know him if you saw him? Would he know you?
Katherine didn’t believe in soul mates, she wasn’t even sure if she believed in love… until the night she saw him. There was something oddly familiar about his dark blue eyes, but she was sure she’d never seen him before. The only thing more confusing than the overwhelming attraction she felt toward this mysterious stranger, was the way he was staring right back at her with that same look of curious fascination. Then suddenly he leaves and she’s left with nothing but the haunting memory of his beautiful eyes and the strange connection they seem to have with her recurring nightmares.
The day Michael’s mother died was one of greatly mixed emotions. He would miss his mother, but her passing meant that he would finally be free of his oppressive father. He was leaving and nothing was going to stop him. But why couldn’t he stop thinking about the beautiful woman he had seen the night he got the call about his mother. Why had she seemed so familiar?
More than once their paths will cross, but will they ever find each other? Will Fate ultimately bring them together or keep them apart?

message 5: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Smith | 84 comments I'll also second the nomination for Finding Pride. Read it. Loved it!

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Kalthoff (wkalthoff) | 27 comments I want to nominate murphy's law in the mystery series by rhys bowen.

message 7: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Kalthoff (wkalthoff) | 27 comments Also finding pride looks great.

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Kalthoff (wkalthoff) | 27 comments Barefoot season by susan mallery would be another good option.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

message 10: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Ashton | 1 comments Mad Max Unintended Consequences by Betsy Ashton I'll nominate my Mad Max Unintended Consequences. It's book 1 of a series, so it meets criteria. It's about a woman who faces the challenge of giving up her comfortable lifestyle to return to the world of full time parenthood. Internal and external conflicts abound as she makes her decision. Oh, did I forget? Her daughter is murdered so she and her two grandchildren have to help solve the murder.

message 11: by Barbra (new)

Barbra | 2 comments "Finding Pride" looks great!!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd nominate anything by Kresley Cole! :-)

message 13: by Tara (new)

Tara McTiernan (TaraMcTiernan) | 13 comments I'd like to nominate my latest women's fiction novel, Cocktail Hour.
Cocktail Hour by Tara McTiernan

Here is the description:

What if your friend, someone admired, envied, and fervently sought after by everyone who knew her, was really a dangerous sociopath?

Spring in glamorous uber-rich Fairfield County, Connecticut is a time of beginnings: a new diet for the approaching summer spent out on the yacht, fresh-faced interns being offered up at the office as the seasonal sacrifice to the gods of money, and corporate takeovers galore. Five women in their thirties have a brand-new friendship, too, one that's fed and watered regularly at local hotspots over cocktails. With all of their personal struggles - Lucie's new catering business is foundering due to vicious gossip, Kate's marriage is troubled due to an inability to conceive, Chelsea's series of misses in the romance department have led to frantic desperation, and Sharon's career problems are spinning out of control - the women look forward to a break and a drink and a chance to let their guards down with their friends. And letting their guards down is the last thing they should do in the kind of company they unknowingly keep with the fifth member of their cocktail-clique: Bianca Rossi, a woman who will stop at nothing to have it all.

message 14: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 28 comments I will 4th Pride and 2nd Cocktail hour.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Burke (rachelkburke) I'd like to nominate my novel, Finding Mia.

Intelligent and fiercely independent, sixteen-year-old Mia Marchette has never had a childhood. After her father’s disappearance when she was six, she has alone borne the burden of her mother’s bipolar disorder.

When her mother is institutionalized after a failed suicide attempt, Mia is abruptly forced to live with the estranged father she has not known for ten years. She is shocked to discover that he has created a new, picture-perfect life for himself, and is now living with a stepmother and a half-sister Mia never knew she had. Together, Mia and her new family must face the bitterness, mistakes, and long-hidden secrets that threaten to destroy their precarious happiness.

Finding Mia follows Mia's journey as she searches to find the unanswered questions from her past, leading to her own self-discovery.

Ultimately, this is a story of confronting pain and finding freedom, of letting go and learning to search for love in unexpected places.

Finding Mia

message 16: by Rebecca (last edited Jun 03, 2013 02:25PM) (new)

Rebecca Elswick (wwwgoodreadscomrebeccaelswick) | 50 comments Mama's Shoes by Rebecca D. Elswick
By the time Sylvia Richardson is eighteen, she has buried her parents; given birth to a daughter; and become a widow. It is 1942, and World War II has destroyed Sylvia's dream of dancing in red heels through life to the melody of a Hank Snow record. Instead, she is raising her daughter, Sassy, alone in the coal mining town she vowed to leave behind.

By 1955, thirteen-year-old Sassy has been brought up on a stiff dose of Mama's lessons on how to be a lady--even though Mama drinks, smokes, and dates a myriad of men. But everything changes the day a woman accuses Sylvia of trying to steal her husband, forcing Sassy to come to terms with her Mama's harsh teen years. For Sylvia, only the support of kith and kin can rescue her from her mistakes.

Spanning twenty years, Mama's Shoes is a haunting saga of love, despair, and forgiveness as a cadence of female voices weaves a spell of mountain lore and secrets, defines family as more than blood kin, and proves second chances can bring happiness.

"An absolutely wonderful novel, its setting a beautifully realized small Appalachian coal town, its characters so vivid they're practically jumping off the page."
--Lee Smith, author of Mrs. Darcy and the Blue-Eyed Stranger and The Last Girls
http://www.amazon.com/Mamas-Shoes-ebo...
Mama's Shoes by Rebecca D. Elswick

message 17: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (dianne212) | 33 comments Jill wrote: "I'd like to nominate my first book in my Pride Series, Finding Pride. The third book in this series release date is July 1st.

Finding Pride

It's a wonderful story about second chances in love ..."

Sounds good to me!

message 18: by Vera (new)

Vera | 5 comments I'd like to nominate my first book in the Cobweb Bride Trilogy, Cobweb Bride.

For the book description, please see here:

http://www.norilana.com/cobweb.htm

Thanks! :)

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Arrowood | 1 comments I nominate Kimberely Brouillette & Karen Vance Hammond's book, "Secrets in the Shallows" love it!

message 21: by Tara (new)

Tara McTiernan (TaraMcTiernan) | 13 comments I second Mama's Shoes - sounds amazing!

message 22: by Pavarti (new)

Pavarti Tyler (pavartiktyler) I'd like to nominate my novel White Chalk. It will be released on 7/22 so this would be a fun way to start some buzz and a chance for the group to read a new release :) I'd be happy to provide some review copies :)

White Chalk, coming July 2013.

Chelle isn’t a typical 13-year-old girl—she doesn’t laugh with friends, play sports, or hang out at the mall after school. Instead, she navigates a world well beyond her years.

Life in Dawson, ND spins on as she grasps at people, pleading for someone to save her—to return her to the simple childhood of unicorns on her bedroom wall and stories on her father’s knee.

When Troy Christiansen walks into her life, Chelle is desperate to believe his arrival will be her salvation. So much so, she forgets to save herself. After experiencing a tragedy at school, her world begins to crack, causing a deeper scar in her already fragile psyche.

Follow Chelle’s twisted tale of modern adolescence, as she travels down the rabbit hole into a reality none of us wants to admit actually exists.

message 23: by Missy (new)

Missy Johnson | 13 comments I'd love to nominate my latest release, Inseparable

Nineteen year old Lily is still struggling with the death of her identical twin, Abby, a year later when she moves away from home for college. Even in death though, their bond is still strong, with Abby visiting Lily in her dreams.

When a chance encounter with Twenty-One year old Dane Hansen changes Lily’s life, Lily’s friends warn her off becoming involved with Dane. He’s bad news, according to the rumors, anyway.

Dane has experienced loss himself, he understands Lily, and the more time he spends with her, the harder he falls. There is something he hasn’t told her though, something almost nobody knows, and it’s something that might stop Lily from feeling the same way.

Abby holds the key to something that will change Lily and Dane's life forever, but how do you get someone else to believe something you don't quite understand yourself?

message 24: by Angel (new)

Angel Lepire | 13 comments I haven't read any of these yet, but they all look awesome! Whatever wins I will be reading in July. ;-)

I would also like to recommend
Trading Poisons by Angel Lepire

After years of settling into the comfortable family life she always wanted, Jorie Asher made a decision to improve her physical health and well-being. She thought her life would be perfect if she no longer had to struggle with her weight. Instead, Jorie discovered how ill-prepared she was to face the anguish of her past, and the resulting truth of life in a body she doesn’t recognize.

Mistakes and disillusions sink Jorie into the darkest period of her life. When forced to face the consequences of her choices, she blocks out the world. Jorie has no idea how to be...her. Supported by those in her life who had been at the same bottom, she begins to fight her way back. But how hard is Jorie willing to push to gain the peace that has always eluded her? What and who must be sacrificed for her own serenity?

Thanks!
*Angel

message 25: by Simon (new)

Simon Wheeler (simonhughwheeler) I'd like to second Angel Lepire's book, Trading Poisons. I've read it and reviewed it. She's really brave to tackle a subject like that - addictions in many forms.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I would also like to nominate Angel Lepire's, Trading Poison. Wishing you all the best!

message 27: by Sally (new)

Sally Grotta (sally_wiener_grotta) | 8 comments May I be so bold as to suggest my own novel Jo Joe, which was just recently published?

“Jo Joe” is about Judith Ormand, who was the only Black – and the only Jew -- in a small Pennsylvania mountain village, where she was raised by her white Christian grandparents. Now, as a young woman, she must break her vow to never return to the town she learned to hate. During her one week visit, she buries and mourns her beloved grandmother, is forced to deal with the white boy who cruelly broke her heart, and is menaced by an old enemy. But with her traumatic discovery of a long buried secret, Judith finds more questions than answers about the prejudice that scarred her childhood. Within the framework of a character-driven story, “Jo Joe” explores issues of prejudice, bigotry and the two-edged sword of memory, that generate passionate and personally revealing discussions among readers. "A compelling, beautifully crafted story, with richly drawn, intriguing characters."

To see a video of a talk I recently gave in New York about the inspirations and passions behind my creation of "Jo Joe", please go to my Goodreads author profile, by clicking on my picture here.

By the way, a Goodreads giveaway of an autographed copy of "Jo Joe" will start this Monday, June 10th.

Thank you.

message 28: by Margaret (last edited Jun 10, 2013 04:01AM) (new)

Margaret Sharp (margaretlynettesharp) | 40 comments I'd like to nominate my sixth title, Long and Short Australian Stories.
It's a romance anthology, with characters in a diverse range of ages. There are a few human interest stories, too.
This title has received a few very encouraging reviews on Goodreads, including one from the highly respected book blogger, Shelleyrae (at Book'd Out).
It is available as both Kindle and paperback.Long and Short Australian Stories Long and Short Australian Stories by Margaret Lynette Sharp

message 29: by Tana (new)

This nomination thread is now closed.

Voting polls are up Vote here:

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/85...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.