Into the Forest discussion

Previous Group Read Nominations > July/Aug Group Read

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1388 comments Mod
Hi all,

It's time to nominate for the July/Aug Group read. We select one YA and one Adult book. You can nominate as many books as you wish in both (or either) catergories. Keep in mind that the books should be at least one of the below

1. fairy tale (folk, legend, myth etc) retellings.
2. A traditional collection of tales
3. A critical work on tales or tellers
4. Influenced by fairy, folk, legend.

Please if you nominate a book in a series make sure it is the first book or the series can be easily read out of order.

message 3: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
I'm running out of books from Mt. TBR to nominate! (Been reading a lot of fairy tales in the last couple of months)

YA:
The Two Princesses of Bamarre
The Thirteenth Princess

Adult:
The Complete Tales of Ketzia Gold
The Wandering Unicorn

message 4: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4336 comments Mod
There are already so many good titles that I don't feel like suggesting any more! I know I have already chosen The Wandering Unicorn.
Wow! Never heard of it. I have noticed that English language writers dominate the fantasy genre. I like the fact the writer is Argentinian.

message 5: by Melanti (new)

Just as a warning, Jalilah, the English translation of The Wandering Unicorn has been out of print since the mid 80's, so it might be very hard to get a hold of a copy unless you want to buy it online.

I only nominated it this month because I've already nominated practically everything else on my TBR!

message 6: by Jalilah (last edited Jun 04, 2013 03:05PM) (new)

Melanti wrote: "Just as a warning, Jalilah, the English translation of The Wandering Unicorn has been out of print since the mid 80's, so it might be very hard to get a hold of a copy unless you want to buy it onl..."

Good to know! In that case I nominate Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leicht
and for YA Stolen Away by Alyxandra Harvey (the same author as Waking).
I still would like to get a hold of the Wandering Unicorn for myself however.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Wandering Unicorn is pretty easy to get in paperback. I've seen it in so many used bookstores and swaps. But Blood and Honey is great!

message 9: by Karolína (new)

Karolína Moravcová (makhachunkshi) | 4 comments Adult:
(non-fiction)
On Fairy-Stories by J.R.R.Tolkien
(fiction)
Sir Orfeo + Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Unknown
The Storytelling Stone: Traditional Native American Myths and Tales
The Kalevala (Finnish folklore)
YA:
Runemark by Joanne Harris
Wabi: A Hero's Tale by J.Bruchar
Legendary Tales of the Australian Aborigines

message 10: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (bobbichukran) Wow,thanks for all the great book titles. I had no idea there were so many out there. It makes me feel better, because I've been feeling I'm all alone out in fairy tale land. LOL. Onward, through the forest! bc
PRINCESS PRIMROSE and the CURSE OF THE BIG SLEEP

message 11: by Jalilah (new)

Wow,So many good titles! Bobbie, you are in good company here, we all love Fairy Tales!

message 12: by Christine (last edited Jun 06, 2013 06:54AM) (new)

Leah, if the Bluebeard collection doesn't win, I'm willing to do a buddy read with you.

message 13: by Gene (new)

Gene Phillips | 19 comments Don't have any YA titles, but I'll second Tolkien's ON FAIRY STORIES and Salman Rushdie's MIDNIGHT'S CHILDREN.

message 14: by Lee Anne (new)

Lee Anne (ladyofrohan2995) Tolkien's "On Fairy Stories" is one of the best nonfiction pieces I have ever read. It was originally a lecture, and is fairly short, but reading it with his short story "Leaf by Niggle" and his poem "Mythopoeia" is a fantastic combo.

message 15: by Jalilah (new)

Hi Karolina,and Gene,
Please post your nominations with the link "add book/author"!
Thanks!

message 16: by Lee Anne (new)

Lee Anne (ladyofrohan2995) Runemarks (Runemarks, #1) by Joanne Harris Runemarks is a great book! The audiobook is supposed to be excellent, too.

message 18: by Karolína (new)

Karolína Moravcová (makhachunkshi) | 4 comments Hello.. I'm having a very important university exam tomorrow, and am now only writing from my mobile - I won't get to my comp till tomorrow evening, then I'll add the links...Hope that's alright..;-)
Anyhow, Lee Anne, it seems we have very similar tastes! "On the Fairy-Stories" is the best study of the developement and reasons of human imagination, religions, myths and folklore traditions! (and Mythopoeia is the best poem explaining in a few words all the magic and work of fantasy - only Keats' Lamia, maybe, nears a little to its simple, excellent point.) And as for Leaf by Niggle, I feel it as a very apposite and exciting allegory on Tolkien's own life, however unintentional the first author's impulse could have been..:-)
And The Runemark? ..I love the way the old viking gods are portrayed there! - especially Loki - he's irresistible! - exactly as I have always felt him to be when reading Edda! ..and the defence of his causing the Baldr's death? ..it's the very point wilfully omitted by the Christian collector of Edda myths! ;-)

message 19: by Christine (new)

Ashleigh wrote: "I have a question regarding group reads. What happens if we want to participate but can't access or find a copy of the book(s)? This is always something at the back of my mind with group reads and ..."

Sometimes other members can give a link or a heads up, but there is no sure fire way. What we can always do, what any member is welcome to do, is start a buddy read. That way, if you can't particpate in a group read, you can read something with someone.

message 20: by Christine (new)

Karolína wrote: "Hello.. I'm having a very important university exam tomorrow, and am now only writing from my mobile - I won't get to my comp till tomorrow evening, then I'll add the links...Hope that's alright..;..."

Good luck on the test!

message 21: by Jalilah (new)

Ashleigh wrote: "I have a question regarding group reads. What happens if we want to participate but can't access or find a copy of the book(s)? This is always something at the back of my mind with group reads and ..."

In this group I have always been able to find the titles chosen for the group read. However it is always a good idea to nominate books that are accessible.
As Chris already said, if you can't find the book that has been chosen, and or there is another book you'd like to read, you can always do a buddy read. So many of the nominated books look interesting, so I'll probably be interested in buddy reading myself!

message 22: by Karolína (new)

Karolína Moravcová (makhachunkshi) | 4 comments Thanks for support! It really did go quite well..;-)
And here you are:

Adult:
(non-fiction)
On Fairy-Stories by J.R.R.Tolkien

(fiction)
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, and Sir Orfeo
The Kalevala(Finnish folklore)
The Storytelling Stone: Traditional Native American Myths and Tales

YA:
Runemarks by Joanne Harris
Wabi: A Hero's Tale by J.Bruchar
Legendary Tales of the Australian Aborigines

message 23: by Karolína (new)

Karolína Moravcová (makhachunkshi) | 4 comments ...And if it came to choosing from other people´s nominations (as I suppose it will come to that, won´t it? - I´m new here, so I don´t know what´s the precise way of selecting the reads from nominations here :-) I would be for: Salman Rushdie's MIDNIGHT'S CHILDREN and THE TWO PRINCESSES OF BAMARRE...

message 24: by Melanti (new)

Karolina,
Once Chris declares the nominations over, we'll set up a poll with all of the nominations on it. Then everyone can vote on that.

message 25: by Christine (new)

Last day to nominate will be Thursday. I'll put up polls on Friday.