Fans of Christian Romance discussion

Group Reads > June 2013 - Stealing the Preacher by Karen Witemeyer

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) For June 2013, we are reading Stealing the Preacher by Karen Witemeyer.

Stealing the Preacher by Karen Witemeyer

Summary: On his way to interview for a position at a church in the Piney Woods of Texas, Crockett Archer can scarcely believe it when he's forced off the train by a retired outlaw and presented to the man's daughter as the minister she requested for her birthday. Worried this unfortunate detour will ruin his chances of finally serving a congregation of his own, Crockett is determined to escape. But when he finally gets away, he's haunted by the memory of the young woman he left behind--a woman whose dreams now hinge on him.

For months, Joanna Robbins prayed for a preacher. A man to breathe life back into the abandoned church at the heart of her community. A man to assist her in fulfilling a promise to her dying mother. A man to help her discover answers to the questions that have been on her heart for so long. But just when it seems God has answered her prayers, it turns out the person is there against his will and has dreams of his own calling him elsewhere. Is there any way she can convince Crockett to stay in her little backwoods community? And does the attraction between them have any chance of blossoming when Joanna's outlaw father is dead set against his daughter courting a preacher?

message 2: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) Is anyone reading this?

I just started it yesterday and it is really good! I love Karen's books anyways so I figured it would be good!

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Witemeyer | 38 comments If anyone would like to chat about the book as you read it, I'd be happy to join in.

Glad you are enjoying it, Diane!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Diane U wrote: "Is anyone reading this?

I just started it yesterday and it is really good! I love Karen's books anyways so I figured it would be good!"

Short Straw Bride was probably my least favorite of Karen's books. I don't think I'll read more about those characters. My favorite book of Karen's, by far, is Head In The Clouds. A 5 star read if there ever was one!

message 5: by Joleen (new)

Joleen | 17 comments I LOVED Short Straw Bride! It was my top read of 2012! And to follow up with Stealing the Preacher--Oh! I was so thrilled to read more about the Archer Brothers. :)

Karen, you do an incredible job writing with purpose! One of the most creative things I noticed in this one was that the moving character wasn't one of the Leads. I mean, he was...but not for the romantic, get together Leads. I really, really loved it! Karen, how did you go about choosing who would grow in this novel? I mean, Crockett already had it together pretty well (no need for a redemption story through him). How did you choose to use Silas instead of his daughter?

I think I really enjoyed it because I grew up never in trouble or into parties, drinking, etc. I was "the good girl." So it's nice to read stories that have a "good girl" and "good boy" but still be able to experience a redemption story and feel the power of ministry through this book.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Witemeyer | 38 comments Hi, Joleen. So glad you enjoyed Crockett and Joanna's story. And Silas, too. :-)

I have to be honest - I think I had more fun writing Silas's character than even Crockett's. :-) He was such a stubborn, ornery character, yet his heart was full of love for his family.

I, too, was the "good little Christian girl" growing up, and when I thought about what kind of heroine to create for Crockett, I wanted her to be someone of mature faith who could step in and partner with him in ministry. Yet I needed conflict to make the story interesting and fun, so I gave her an outlaw father who hated "sermonizers." Everything just seems to grow from there.

I also wanted to show that just because Crockett was a preacher, that didn't mean he wasn't still a rugged cowboy. So I have him working the ranch with Silas to earn the older man's grudging respect and even pair the two up in a shooting contest.

Silas certainly has the most dramatic spiritual arc in this story, but even Crockett and Joanna have to grow in order to allow God to work more fully through them.

Thanks for your encouraging comments!

message 7: by Joleen (new)

Joleen | 17 comments Thanks for yours! I thought all the arcs were fantastic. Yes, growth in all of them; I loved the entire cast! Truly inspiring. :)

message 8: by Nanci (new)

Nanci | 17 comments I have to admit I haven't got the depth that others have when reading. I just enjoy a good book. I appreciate the comments of others who are willing to share greater thoughts. I had a great time reading this book. I had my daughter read Short-Straw bride just so I could hand this one to her. When is the next book?

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen Witemeyer | 38 comments Hi, Nanci. The next book picks up with the youngest Archer brother - Neill. It is actually a novella that will part of a collection entitled A Match Made in Texas. The other authors include Mary Connealy, Regina Jennings, and Carol Cox. It will be out in January 2014.

Nanci wrote: "I have to admit I haven't got the depth that others have when reading. I just enjoy a good book. I appreciate the comments of others who are willing to share greater thoughts. I had a great time r..."

message 10: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) I just finished it last night! I really enjoyed it and watching Crockett develop into as strong a character as Travis was in Short Straw Bride. Thanks Karen for a wonderful read!

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen Witemeyer | 38 comments You are so welcome, Diane. I'm delighted that you enjoyed it so well. :-)

Diane U wrote: "I just finished it last night! I really enjoyed it and watching Crockett develop into as strong a character as Travis was in Short Straw Bride. Thanks Karen for a wonderful read!"

message 12: by Emmly (new)

Emmly Jane (emmlyjane) | 1 comments Diane U wrote: "For June 2013, we are reading Stealing the Preacher by Karen Witemeyer.

I enjoyed the story although it wasn't my favorite from Witemeyer. I struggled when Crockett did not shut down the unwanted female advances earlier in the story. To me, I think he knew her kind from the first sign of the sloshing bucket and gave her too much rope to hang himself. Silas was an enjoyable character to read. The love for his family shined through making him irresistible no matter his flaws.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Stealing the Preacher (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karen Witemeyer (other topics)