Mystery Lovers! discussion

Random Chats > Who do you like among the non-best sellers?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chester (new)

Chester | 17 comments When asked about their favorite series, nearly everybody lists the big names like Sue Grafton, James Lee Burke, Robert B. Parker, Janet Evanovich. But who have you read and liked among the so-called mid-list authors? There are some great writers out there turning out superb books who don't get all the notice of the big names. I'm thinking about people like Betty Webb, Justin Scott, Kit Ehrman, Lonnie Cruse, Richard Helms, Randy Rawls. Who have you read?

message 2: by David (new)

David (mugsynoir) | 14 comments You're right, there are many "unrecognized" mid-list authors. John Lescroart is a favorite of mine, and James W. Hall is another one.

Curious to see what others list.

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 5 comments I doubt many would want to be considered B Listers ::grin:: - and Lescroart, I believe, does hit the lists, and is fairly well known.

Paul Levine is a very good writer, had one good series, now working on a new one, both very good. Sanders was good, and I think unmentioned. Let's not forget MacDonald, not just for Fletch, but also for Flynn. (We can forget his stab at a third character.) I enjoy Nancy Packard a lot. I loved her first character/series, and her second has more depth, and I enjoy reading them.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth I like Western mystery authors like C.J. Box, Kathy Brandt, Margaret Coel, Christine Goff, and Maggie Sefton. For comedy, I go to Donna Andrews and Tim Cockey. Then there's my own series with a gift basket designer as an amateur sleuth... :)

message 5: by Lillian (new)

Lillian | 26 comments I like the Lewis Cole series by Brendan DuBois

message 6: by Caroline (new)

Caroline My favorite non bestseller series is Laura Joh Rowland's Sano Ichiro mysteries. They're fun and quite a bit different from the usual mystery novel since they're set in feudal Japan rather than modern day America/Britain, as always seems to be the case.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth I like the following authors: Margaret Coel, Kathy Brandt, Christine Goff, Maggie Sefton, Donna Andrews, Tim Cockey, C.J. Box, and Sharyn McCrumb, though I don't know if the last two would qualify as mid-list authors, since their sales are pretty good. And, of course, I recommend my own gift basket designer series. The first is A REAL BASKET CASE, and I just signed the contract for the sequel, TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET, that will be published in early 2009.