Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Is Kindle enough?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler I need some advice.
At the moment, my new humorous novel "Sunderwynde Revisited" is only available in paperback. I should make an electronic version available, but not owning any variety of Ereader myself, I was wondering: Would uploading the book to Kindle be sufficient, or should I find someone who knows what they're doing and get it formally Epublished? Any thoughts?

message 2: by Lex (new)

Lex Allen (lexallenbooks) | 123 comments You should definitely upload an e-book version. Do so on Amazon for Kindle and Smashwords for every other e-book format (and distribution to all the other online stores - Nook, Apple, Kobo, et al).
It will take some work, trial and error, but you can do it yourself; no need for professional help... ;o).
Oh... and if you're seriously going to be an indie author/publisher, you really should get yourself some type of e-book reader.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian McClellan | 50 comments You can pay someone to to the Sashwords conversion for like 50 or 75 dollars. When it's done just right they distribute it to all the other channels for you. A wise investment if you're like me and not too computer savvy.

message 4: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments I would say an e-book is a must. Personally I get way more kindle sales than any where else but that said some people have a lot of success elsewhere. Publishing only to Amazon does limit you but it is whether you wish to use the free promos and the KoLL facilities on Amazon. If you don't then upload to KDP and don't opt in to select.

message 5: by Rinelle (new)

Rinelle Grey (rinellegrey) | 38 comments I don't buy books in any format except ebooks these days. My own ebook is only published in kindle for now, you can definitely get away with it. There are pros and cons to both options.

message 6: by E.B. (new)

E.B. Brown (ebbrown) | 73 comments Lex wrote: "You should definitely upload an e-book version. Do so on Amazon for Kindle and Smashwords for every other e-book format (and distribution to all the other online stores - Nook, Apple, Kobo, et al)..."

I agree with this. Use Amazon, which is fairly straightforward. I would also suggest using Smashwords to upload and distribute to other eBooks sellers. Peronally I have found this the most efficient way to go. The bulk of my sales come from mazon, but I am having a strong showing from Barnes & Noble and Kobo as well.

It is also well worth it to have someone format your eBook who knows what they are doing. If you're decent with computers you can do it yourself, but it can be time consuming. Your time is better spent writing your next book ;)

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Leigh (jedijessicuh) | 27 comments I would say no, Kindle is not enough.

I hear that the Nook is a big up and coming player in the eReader games now. Since they aren't a part of the Amazon / Kindle area, you can't really sell to them. So I'd follow everyone else's advice and either learn to format yourself or use a professional formatter who will be able to do it for you.

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 212 comments Agree with those who say to cover all options, and agree Smashwords is a good way to do it. If your book is just text (I.e. without illustrations) it is really not that hard. Download the Guide and give it a try. Give me a shout if it gives you trouble--I have done it a couple of times without undue pain and suffering (and will soon be doing it again).

message 9: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler Thanks for all the input. I'll give Smashwords a go, though as an avowed technophobe I may find myself giving Rebecca the offered shout after I've finished shouting at my computer.

message 10: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler Well, "Sunderwynde Revisited" is now available in a Kindle edition. Other e-formats will follow. Thanks again to everyone for your helpful comments and advice. I really appreciate it!
Regards,
Joel Bresler

message 11: by Marianna (new)

Marianna Randazzo (goodreadscommariannarandazzo) | 5 comments I am in the process of having my ebook professionally formatted for Kindle and Smashwords (different files are required), Smashwords will provide you with a list of recommended formatters. If mine turns out okay, I can give you her name. It is costing me $100.00. Like everything else it is a learning process. You will also need a new ISBN number for an e-book. Best to buy them in bulk. Think big. Good luck. Marianna

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 212 comments Joel wrote: "Well, "Sunderwynde Revisited" is now available in a Kindle edition. Other e-formats will follow. Thanks again to everyone for your helpful comments and advice. I really appreciate it!
Regards,
J..."

See? That wasn't so bad!

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Hartwell | 40 comments Kindle/amazon represents about 80% of e-books and Nook is losing ground, so don't spend a lot of money formatting for Nook!

message 14: by E.B. (new)

E.B. Brown (ebbrown) | 73 comments Congrats & best of luck to you! :)

message 15: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler Rebecca wrote: "Joel wrote: "Well, "Sunderwynde Revisited" is now available in a Kindle edition. Other e-formats will follow. Thanks again to everyone for your helpful comments and advice. I really appreciate i..."

I sometimes have to remind myself that I'm not nearly as dumb as I look. No, seriously. I'm not.

message 16: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler E.B. wrote: "Congrats & best of luck to you! :)"

Thanks!

message 17: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler Nancy wrote: "Kindle/amazon represents about 80% of e-books and Nook is losing ground, so don't spend a lot of money formatting for Nook!"

That's kinda why I posed my original question. I'll probably look into Smashwords in the fall, but KDP Select has their giveaway program, which may be a good promotional tool. Of course, I've never been very good with tools...

message 18: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Hartwell | 40 comments My novel, which has only been on Kindle for five weeks, had 528 downloads in 2 days of promotion. 802 altogether so far. This of course doesn't compare to how-to books, which might get more than 1,000 downloads a day, but for a brand-new novel, pretty darn good!

message 19: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Rinelle wrote: "I don't buy books in any format except ebooks these days. My own ebook is only published in kindle for now, you can definitely get away with it. There are pros and cons to both options."

Yep ... not the least of which is discoverability. If you only go with KDP-S, you are missing out on everyone who uses a Nook or Kobo (the most popular eReader in Europe, BTW), just to name a couple of sales channels. To be perfectly blunt, what you're telling non-Kindle readers is "I don't want you in my audience." Is that the message you really wish to send to potential readers? I certainly hope not.

If you go with Smashwords, you can create a giveaway coupon any time you want.

message 20: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Nancy wrote: "Kindle/amazon represents about 80% of e-books and Nook is losing ground, so don't spend a lot of money formatting for Nook!"

That's a really naive position to take; ePub is a huge share of the audience abroad, with Kobo the most popular reader.

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 212 comments Nancy wrote: "Kindle/amazon represents about 80% of e-books and Nook is losing ground, so don't spend a lot of money formatting for Nook!"

I wouldn't spend money on it, but I'd get it done for Smashwords (again, not that hard to do yourself) so that it is available in every form. Those of us who do have Nooks are not inclined to buy books that are only on Kindle, as that restricts us to reading them on the computer.

message 22: by Elle (new)

Elle Jacklee | 33 comments Nancy wrote: "My novel, which has only been on Kindle for five weeks, had 528 downloads in 2 days of promotion. 802 altogether so far. This of course doesn't compare to how-to books, which might get more than 1,..."

Nancy, just curious: what do you mean by 2 days of promotion? Did you pay for ads or something along those lines? I'm overwhelmed with all the choices for promotion and am really interested in hearing about others' experiences.

Regarding the original question: I would suggest having files available for all ereaders. While there is an argument that Amazon KDP does more to help promote your book if you're enrolled in KDP-S, you can start out with Smashwords (who will distribute to all the other big sellers in whatever format is needed for you). If you don't get results that way, you can take it off Smashwords and try KDP-S to see if you have better results. Some people have a lot of success with KDP-S and no success with Smashwords or Kobo, etc. and for some people it's the other way around. So what works for one author doesn't necessarily work for another... I don't think there's a tried and true formula. If I'm wrong, someone please enlighten me ;)