The Sword and Laser discussion

Author Promo (Share Your Stuff!) > My novel is free on Amazon today

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) Hello,

Thanks for the opportunity to let people here know that my first novel, The Alecto Initiative, is free today at Amazon.

You are invited to grab a copy and (especially as this is a first novel) leave any constructive feedback you may have.

message 2: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 33 comments It shows none available :(

message 3: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) You must have looked at the paperback edition? That is not out yet. It's the Kindle edition that is free today. My apologies; I should have clarified that.

The direct link is: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COJPAP0

message 4: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 33 comments Ok thanks :)

message 5: by Jay (new)

Jay (grimey) Half way through and I'm very impressed. I'll leave proper feedback/reviews when I've done

message 6: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) Thanks very much, Jay. All feedback is very much appreciated. As we are finishing up the second novel now, it's a great time to get reader's perspectives.

message 7: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Stirling | 80 comments I just finished the book. I loved the characters, but ended the book feeling like I didn't know much about the internal workings of their minds. The universe was interesting. You obviously know a lot about the military, and the FTL travel concepts were brilliant. The politics were a bit slim, I hope they are further fleshed out in the future since they obviously play a role in the plot line. I really enjoyed the story itself, but it was not as smooth-flowing in places as it could have been. Still, while I could put it down, I had no desire to.

Also, whoever commented positively on the lack of proof reading mistakes must not have been reading the Kindle version. I spotted dozens of mistakes. Nothing worse than bad proof reading in a book. But that's a publishing issue and not necessarily your fault.

message 8: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) Thanks! The feedback is much appreciated. Regarding the next book, I suppose I can only say that 'fleshed out' vs 'egregious infodump' is pretty much in the eye of the beholder. I like to over-explain and Jordan likes to keep things moving, so I hope we hit a good balance. The next book is significantly different than the first and deals with new issues, and we are most interested to see how it will be received.

Regarding the proofreading, we did employ a proofreader but we all know that typos breed. Also, people don't always agree on usage. We have updated the Kindle edition to catch a few things that were missed, especially some missing words (and missing period in th 1st paragraph, I think it was, that somehow went away in the conversion, since it's in my proof copy).

If you feel so inclined, please send me a note here pointing out some of the errors you found. The conversion process to Kindle format, which goes through an HTML file, can step on things. I'm hoping the last conversion didn't introduce a bunch of new errors.