UK Book Club discussion

Around the World in 80 Books > Sarah M's Around the World in 80

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Thought I'd give this a go and I'm back dating to the beginning of 2013 as I've read quite a number of books so far in various countries. I'm only going to list them once I've read them.

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1340 comments Enjoy your trip Sarah - look forward to seeing where you have been!

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Jan 19, 2014 09:53AM) (new)

Sarah Thanks Sue.

Here's where I've been so far.

1. Afghanistan - The Kite Runner (may use for Pakistan once read other Khaled Hosseini book)
2. Canada - Bitten
3. China - A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar
4. Czech Republic - Daughter of Smoke & Bone
5. England - Ice Diaries
6. France - Five Quarters of the Orange
7. Germany - The Book Thief
8. Japan - Neuromancer
9. Norway - The Redbreast
10. Poland - The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
11. Russia - The Firebird
12. Sweden - The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
13. USA - 11/22/63
14. Israel - World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
15. Morocco - Days of Blood & Starlight
16. Italy - Only the Innocent
17. Thailand - The Windup Girl
18. Australia - The Bat
19. Luxembourg - The Expats
20. Jamaica - Pirate Latitudes
21. Botswana - The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
22. Iceland - Burial Rites

Complete: 22

message 4: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1311 comments Mod
Wow, that's a good start! Enjoy your trip. :)

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1340 comments It is good fun - I have read so many interesting books I wouldn't usually have given a second glance at.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Thanks Trojanhorse and Sue. It will be good to see how many I can do!

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (superkev) | 37 comments Hi Sarah. Can I recommend' The Old Man And His Sons' by Heoin Bru. It's a delightful, gently comical tale of a stubbornly traditional hardworking fisherman and his lazier more modern-thinking offspring, set in the Faroe Islands. It's also a quick read!

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments Enjoy Sarah , it has certainly expanded my reading and it becomes a bit addictive!

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah As I'm back-dating, I might need to thumb through a couple of my books to see if they also count - I know World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War was located in quite a number of countries but I can't remember which ones - the only one I do remember was Israel so perhaps I'll use it for that.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Just been to China with A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar.

message 11: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
Enjoy your trip Sarah.

message 12: by Sarah (last edited Jun 24, 2013 03:40AM) (new)

Sarah Just been to Prague in Czech Republic, both literally and via book! A great place and a great book! Daughter of Smoke & Bone Looking forward to the follow-up book.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Just visited Morocco in Days of Blood & Starlight the sequel to the book I read for Prague.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Just visited Venice and Positano in Italy via Only the Innocent

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Just visited Thailand with The Windup Girl. I really enjoyed the book.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Been to Australia with The Bat. I really enjoyed this first instalment in the Harry hole series.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Visited Luxemburg with The Expats but it wasn't a great stay - only 3 stars!

message 18: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) | 785 comments Quite enjoyed Expats. gave a 4. Thought good first book

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Robert wrote: "Quite enjoyed Expats. gave a 4. Thought good first book"

I listed to the audiobook and I found the narrator quite annoying which obviously didn't help. It was good for a first book definitely but I didn't really like the characters much and I didn't feel much actually happened. I'm pleased I read it though.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Just visited Jamaica with Pirate Latitudes. A very stormy ride at sea it was! 4 stars.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Progress so far!

message 22: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
South America is calling - Brazil and Argentina make really nice blobs on the map.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Definitely! I will have to go hunting what I can read for those countries!

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Just visited Botswana with The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. It was an enjoyable but average stay! 3 stars.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Spent a long cold winter in Iceland with Burial Rites. Awesome! 5 stars.