The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Lightning Thief discussion

Percy Jackson and the Olympians or Heroes of Olympus?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Skyla (last edited Jun 12, 2013 02:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skyla which series is better? Percy Jackson And The Olympians or Heroes Of Olympus?

My Favourite is Heroes Of Olympus because I like the characters in it like leo and piper. But without the PJO series , HoO wouldn't make sense.

message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee Percy Jackson and the Olympians (by the time the others came out I was reading on a much higher reading level)

Elena I don't think you can really compare them considering if HoO was a stand alone series, it wouldn't be as good because it wouldn't make sense. PJO and
HoO are dependent on each other.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

PJO.

Rachel Jackson PJO. I like HoO but the original was better. You can't top Percy first person.

Jacqueline Aparicio It really dependes on if you have read both a the series. Like in my opinion i both like both the series, because in order to understand the heroes of olympies you have to read the percy jackson and the olympies to understand. Like in the 2nd series they talk about Percy being lost, and if you read the last olympiest then you would understand why percy was gone. Another example is that Annabeth a character from the percy jackson series, she is sending parties of people to find percy. As in the 2nd series people would not know her if they haven't read the 1st.

message 7: by Molly (last edited Jun 12, 2013 09:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Molly PJO! I love HoO and I'm going to keep reading them until they stop (whenever that is.) But I think Rick is stretching everything. I mean, now he's bringing Carter and Percy together? What?! I don't know if I can take it much longer...

Jacqueline Aparicio Well the fourth book on the HoH is coming out in October. And i wonder what is going to happen between percy and Annabeth!!!! And if they are going to be seprated again. As in the last book the mark of athena percy and annabeth gave them selves into the underworld to save their friends. And the end of the mark of athena was a clift hanger into leaving the reader wanting more into the story, when they had barley gotten together!!

Kaelyn I love both there both very,very good and with out Percy Jackson and the Olypians the other one wouldn't make sence...:3

the fire burns inside me nothing will beat the original books.

message 11: by May (new) - rated it 5 stars

May 舞 Merlin's lover wrote: "nothing will beat the original books."

I agree, and if it weren't for percy being in HoO i wouldn't have been as excited about it, i really like his character.

message 12: by Ana (new)

Ana Both of them are great and rely on each other, but originals always win my heart

message 13: by Neha (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neha The Heroes of Olympus for sure!

Lauryn I don't know... The first series built a lot of characters into who they are and holds a lot of messages about yourself. The second series is more about friends and working as a team. They're both really excellent series. I don't know how to choose!!

Christine heros of olympus

Babafaba The Heroes of Olympus!

Elise, I choose both!

Cecily The Heroes of Olympus!

Cecily Skyla wrote: "which series is better? Percy Jackson And The Olympians or Heroes Of Olympus?

My Favourite is Heroes Of Olympus because I like the characters in it like leo and piper. But without the PJO series ..."

very good point.

message 20: by Inam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Inam Definitely Heroes of Olympus because is more variety of characters and it has more suspense.

Snowcloud Heroes of Olympus! Because of the new characters, the plot, the whole Greek-Roman thing... And because they are longer! They don't get finished in a day! They get finished in one and a half days! By me, anyway. Have you guessed that I'm an extremely fast reader?

message 22: by Jared (new) - added it

Jared West Personally I like HoO better. There are a broader range of characters and it's nice having different viewpoints. I loved seeing how each character reacts to others abilities. Also, the rivalry between Percy and Jason is amazing! The books are longer which allows Riordan to develop the story better. The only thing I was a little disappointed about was was there wasn't enough teamwork in the books. With a few exceptions (Hazel and Frank fighting Alcyoneus and Percy and Jason fighting the twins) mostly it was one character defeating a monster while the others were knocked out. Besides that, I have no complaints.

message 23: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Elliott PJO-nothing beats Percy's first person POV.

Maria Without the Percy Jackson series, the Heroes of Olympus wouldn't make sense, but I definitely LOVE Heroes of Olympus much more because of all the action.

Kelly Brigid ♡ Percy Jackson.

message 26: by josh (new) - rated it 5 stars

josh PJO. I love HOO but PJO is the bomb.com

Wiljam Definitely PJO, the Heroes of Olympus was kind of boring and in the final book everything was too easy. PJO will always be my favorite book series because its story is better and the characters feel more likeable than in THoO.

message 28: by Abeerah (last edited Aug 27, 2015 07:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abeerah I CAN'T CHOOSE!!!!!! Well, the ending of Heros Of OLymps was utterly dissapointing. While the Last Olympian was just, Wow. Though I liked how we got more charactars to love in Heros of Olympus adding on to our basic ones. BUT THE BASIC ONES ARE AMAZING.

Cleopatraselene2 Heroes of Olympus because I love the new characters.

Qunny PJO! :)

message 31: by Percy (last edited Aug 21, 2015 05:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Percy PJO wins by a mile.

This isn't even a contest. Percy Jackson and the Olympians is better in almost every way. It's funnier, more entertaining, and the character development is MUCH better.

All of the characters in Heroes of Olympus (aside from Percy and Annabeth and Leo) are terrible. Jason is a complete copy of Percy minus the sense of humor, Piper is a whiney mary-sue, and Frank and Hazel are boring.

The story just isn't the same without Percy's first person point of view.

Cleopatraselene2 Percy wrote: "PJO wins by a mile.

This isn't even a contest. Percy Jackson and the Olympians is better in almost every way. It's funnier, more entertaining, and the character development is MUCH better.

All..."

How is Jason a copy of Percy? They couldn't get anymore different.

message 33: by Percy (last edited Aug 25, 2015 12:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Percy Cleopatraselene2 wrote: "How is Jason a copy of Percy? They couldn't get anymore different?"

Jason, to me at least, is just Riordan trying to repeat his success with Percy. Except all the personality traits, and flaws, and goofs are taken out and replaced with a perfect "golden boy" image.

His flaws are not heavily adressed, and his relationship with the other 7 demigods is half-hearted at best. We are supposed to accept that Jason is this great leader, but he never really does anything to set himself apart from the other demigods and earn the title.

Cleopatraselene2 Percy wrote: "Cleopatraselene2 wrote: "How is Jason a copy of Percy? They couldn't get anymore different?"

Jason, to me at least, is just Riordan trying to repeat his success with Percy. Except all the persona..."

Just because Jason isn't a talkative extrovert like Percy doesn't mean he is bad. Is he supposed to draw attention to himself and openly express his flaws to the world? Is he supposed to suddenly be the entertainer of the seven and mouth off to gods? People push Jason to be someone he isn't, even outside the books. His girlfriend, teammates, friends, and even his own parents try to change him when he is only trying to be himself. As if there is something wrong with him.

And he is anything but perfect. He is not a "golden boy". It just comes off that way because he sees no logical reason to break the rules or to sass mouth anyone. He has many flaws, but he doesn't shove them in other's faces because he thinks there his own problem.

message 35: by Percy (last edited Aug 26, 2015 12:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Percy Cleopatraselene2 wrote: "Percy wrote: "Cleopatraselene2 wrote: "How is Jason a copy of Percy? They couldn't get anymore different?"

Jason, to me at least, is just Riordan trying to repeat his success with Percy. Except a..."

You just addressed pretty much all the reasons I think Jason is a boring character. There's nothing wrong with Jason, it's just hard for me to hop on the bandwagon when I feel like I know absolutely nothing about him. He was okay in The Lost Hero, but throughout the rest of the series it didn't feel like his character developed much. Just my opinion....

message 36: by Jasonkronos100 (new)

Jasonkronos100 Jason Grace is a amazing character but Nico is my fave and I wish frank had more chapters in the series as for what series was the best HoO because of the suspense, romance, and cliffhangers albeit last olmpyian was a way better finisher than Blood of Olympus and the supposed unstoppable gaea got beat so easily which made me pretty upset but overall HoO takes the cake excluding BoO out of the series the rest of the books were masterpieces

Cameron the heroes of olympus wouldn't make any sense without percy jackson but overall i liked the hero's of olympus better.

Cameron Jasonkronos100 wrote: "Jason Grace is a amazing character but Nico is my fave and I wish frank had more chapters in the series as for what series was the best HoO because of the suspense, romance, and cliffhangers albeit..."

very very true