! YA Heroines ! discussion

A Curse Dark as Gold
This topic is about A Curse Dark as Gold
Book Discussions > 2013 JUN - A Curse Dark As Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments Charlotte Miller has always scoffed at talk of a curse on her family's woolen mill, which holds her beloved small town together. But after her father's death, the bad luck piles up: departing workers, impossible debts, an overbearing uncle. Then a stranger named Jack Spinner offers a tempting proposition: He can turn straw into gold thread, for the small price of her mother's ring. As Charlotte is drawn deeper into her bargains with Spinner-and a romance with the local banker-she must unravel the truth of the curse on the mill and save the community she's always called home.

4 words: I Must Read This!

Thoughts???

message 2: by Sumayyah (new)

Sumayyah  Y. | 1 comments dunno, it doesn't seem like the story of my life, neither does it have to be. but sure, i think i will definitely give it a shot.

Kate (kaitlins16) I'm not sure why I first bought this book. I got it at a book fair in middle school, and for awhile, I didn't pick it up to actually read it. I guess I just wasn't very interested in it.

I felt really stupid after I read the book. It was really awesome, and I don't get why I wasn't very interested in it before I decided to finally read it (a similar situation happened with Divergent). It's a really nice historical fiction book that refreshingly featured a young heroine that was quite grown up. She had a lot of responsibilities to take care of, and she handled them very well.

Here's a minor spoiler about the romance: (view spoiler).

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments Agreed Kaitlin I just finished it and I have to say I'm pleasantly suprised I liked this take on Rumpelstiltskin. I was refreshingly orginal and I do agree very much with your 'spoiler', the only thing was I felt it was slightled rushed and a bit out of the blue. But I did love the slow romance. And another thing the last few chapters scared me hahaha.
Most of all I love how Charlotte is a iron-backboned heroine!