Book Loving Kiwis discussion

The Lighthouse Keeper's Wife: An Autobiography
This topic is about The Lighthouse Keeper's Wife
Archives > The Lighthouse Keeper's Wife

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (last edited Jun 28, 2013 01:00AM) (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Please leave a comment here if you intend to read The Lighthouse Keeper's Wife: An Autobiography by Jeanette Aplin during the month of June.

Participating:
Kathleen
Sweetp-1
Darkpool
Ella's Gran

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1471 comments I've reserved this from the library - count me in.

message 3: by Sweetp-1 (new) - added it

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Me :)

Darkpool | 1020 comments Arrgghh.... running so behind on my group reads this year.... totally up for this one, but I may not get to it during June...

Lesley | 1568 comments My library copy has arrived in time after all. I'm in.

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1471 comments Read the first chapter last night - the author gets straight into it! I'm going to enjoy this.

Lesley | 1568 comments Kathleen wrote: "Read the first chapter last night - the author gets straight into it! I'm going to enjoy this."

I also like the Author's Note where you learn a bit about the background to the story as well as the actual writing of it.

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1471 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "I also like the Author's Note where you learn a bit about the background to the st..."

Yes - it feels like you're listening to her speaking.

Lesley | 1568 comments I have enjoyed this well written story of The Lighthouse Keeper's Wife. Exactly as Kathleen said - it is written just as though you are listening to her speak.

I'm interested in reading the two other books she has written - The Lighthouse Children's Mother and The Price of Bacon.

Reading this has also bought back memories of another book read many, many years ago that was written by a New Zealand lighthouse keeper and the stations he and his family lived on around New Zealand. I hope if I think about it long enough I will remember the title!

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1471 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "Reading this has also bought back memories of another book read many, many years ago that was written by a New Zealand lighthouse keeper and the stations he and his family lived on around New Zealand. I hope if I think about it long enough I will remember the title! "

I do so enjoy following the pathways that a book will take us to! I've just searched on the library site and found this book "The tall white tower" by W.E.H. Creamer. Is it the one you're thinking of?
(It doesn't appear to be listed on Goodreads)

message 11: by Sweetp-1 (new) - added it

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments I never got to read this during June. Has been a hellish month - just home from a week in hospital with my littlest :( I will need to check this out on interloan and our library is only open for a couple of hrs a day. I really do want to read this though so once life returns to normal (ha!) I will try and get down there

Lesley | 1568 comments Kathleen wrote: "Ella's Gran wrote: "Reading this has also bought back memories of another book read many, many years ago that was written by a New Zealand lighthouse keeper and the stations he and his family lived..."

This is just a new book but looks good though. The one I read must have been published back in the 1970s I think - it was a long time ago, yet it has stayed in my head except for the necessary facts like title and author.

I know the author's name is something short and suddenly had this revelation yesterday that it was Tom. I couldn't convince my colleague who does the interloans to search the NUC for based on this information though (lol).

Hopefully today I will have further inspiration. I know the book covered his experiences at various lighthouse stations around the country. Can't remember whether he was married at the beginning of the book but he certainly was married and had family. I shall continue to work on my memory and let you know when I have success.

message 13: by Lesley (last edited Jul 01, 2013 04:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lesley | 1568 comments Persistence pays off ... a trawl through Te Puna 'lighthouse keepers new zealand' search and I found it!

The sea is my neighbour : a lighthouse keeper’s story / by T.A. (Tom) Clark published by Whitcombe & Tombs, 1963.

A few libraries have copies too, so I might be able to interloan it. Better go and do what I'm paid for!

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1471 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "Persistence pays off ... a trawl through Te Puna 'lighthouse keepers new zealand' search and I found it!

The sea is my neighbour : a lighthouse keeper’s story / by T.A. (Tom) Clark published by Wh..."

This sounds so familiar I think I may well have read it way back myself!

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1471 comments Sweetp-1 wrote: "I never got to read this during June. Has been a hellish month - just home from a week in hospital with my littlest :( I will need to check this out on interloan and our library is only open for a ..."

Sorry to hear about your littlest in hospital. My smallest granddaughter has had quite a bit of hospitalization in her 2 years - born with a cleft lip and palate + feeding complications.

Can you put such things behind, or is it an ongoing thing?
My thoughts are with you.

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1471 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "I'm interested in reading the two other two books she has written - The Lighthouse Children's Mother and The Price of Bacon...."

Yes! I've reserved her second book from the library.

I did enjoy this snapshot of life as it will never be lived again...

Lesley | 1568 comments Kathleen wrote: "Ella's Gran wrote: "I'm interested in reading the two other two books she has written - The Lighthouse Children's Mother and The Price of Bacon...."

Yes! I've reserved her second book from the li..."

Yes. When she was 'boiling the washing' I recalled how Sunday night Mum would fill the copper and get the fire set ready for Dad to light before he went off to catch the 6:10am bus to work on Monday. Once boiled it would be heaved through the wringers into the concrete tubs for rinsing, back through the wringers before being hung on the wire string clothes line with manuka 'props' to keep it all high enough not to drag on the ground! We have luxury by comparison eh?

message 18: by Sweetp-1 (new) - added it

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Kathleen wrote: Can you put such things behind, or is it an ongoing thing?
My thoughts are with you.

Not ongoing thankfully (I am still recovering from the stress of it all!). Nasty (and atypical) strain of pneumonia. She is good now, fingers crossed no more bugs this winter, I feel like June was just one thing after another.