LDS Ladies Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Threads > Nominations for July's Group Read

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) | 120 comments Let's start making suggestions for July's Group Read.

Let's each make one nomination between now and the 7th, then I'll set up a poll and we can vote between the 8th and the 14th. That'll give us a month to get a hold of the book and read it, and we can plan on starting the discussion July 14th. Does that sound ok to everyone?

message 2: by Amber G., Group Creator (new)

Amber G. (lavenderbutterfly) | 288 comments Mod
Sounds great! Inferno is a given but I'd love a new suggestion by the group. I put Covenant Motherhood up, so that will be my vote, but I'm fine with whatever is chosen. I will remove CM or move it to another month. One main group read and then an extra one for those who are up for it (Inferno).

message 3: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) | 120 comments Ok. Covenant Motherhood sounds really good.

I'm going to suggest Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis.

message 4: by Carri (new)

Carri | 44 comments Are we still doing two seconds per person?

message 5: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) | 120 comments No, Carri, I don't think seconds are necessary now that we are picking the group read by voting in a poll. But if you like a nomination, let us know why, maybe you will influence the vote in that book's favor.

message 6: by Rachel (last edited Jun 03, 2013 09:47PM) (new)

Rachel John (racheljohn) | 17 comments I am going to suggest:
Things We Couldn't Say by Diet Eman, James Schaap

message 7: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) | 120 comments Thanks Rachel. That one also looks really good.

message 8: by Shauna (new)

Shauna | 12 comments I just finished the Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. I think it would be a great read for the group.

message 9: by Pippa (new)

Pippa | 3 comments What about Queen Esther by HB Moore?

message 10: by Maurine (new)

Maurine | 86 comments I'd like to nominate Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand!!

message 11: by Beth A. (last edited Jun 08, 2013 10:19AM) (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) | 120 comments Thank you everyone for your nominations. They all look really good. I'm going to set up a poll.

Please Vote! :) http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/54...

message 12: by Amber G., Group Creator (new)

Our poll indicates the Esther the Queen is the winner. Looks like it's a good one, and I think we should go for it unless we get a bunch more votes in that changes it. Last call! Vote if you want to read something else!

message 13: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 16 comments Esther the Queen is not available at my library system...anyone else unable to get it? I don't mind sitting this one out, just curious how many will be able to participate.

message 14: by Pippa (new)

Pippa | 3 comments What about iner-library loan?

message 15: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) | 120 comments Meredith- my library doesn't have it either. Also not available by IRL or used/cheap. I did find a kindle copy for $10 but that's more than I wanted to pay. I'm debating.

message 16: by Amber G., Group Creator (new)

Same here. Esther the Queen is not available from my library or inter-library loan. However, I do have access to other books by Heather Moore. Are we up to changing to one of her other books, or should we pick a new book? We could go with the second choice in the poll. I'd rather not buy a book this month. I have Amazon Prime and could get a free Kindle book this month, but not sure if it will be there either. I'm kind of leaning toward reading something else. When I'm up for buying a book down the road, I'd consider the Esther book. What does everyone else think?

message 17: by Maurine (new)

Maurine | 86 comments Same here... Esther the Queen is not available neither in my library nor by inter-library loans... I was hoping we could switch it because I really don't have the money to buy a book this month... Can we do Unbroken? My library has that one...

message 18: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (zolaone) | 65 comments I haven't been able to find Esther at our library either.

message 19: by Amber G., Group Creator (new)

Well, 2nd place is Unbroken. We could go with that one. Lets all see if we can find copies.

message 20: by Linda (new)

Linda Hart (lindahart) | 20 comments Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling
by Richard L. Bushman
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23...

message 21: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) | 120 comments What do you all think? Stick with Ester or go with Unbroken? Should we do another poll?

message 22: by Maurine (new)

Maurine | 86 comments I would.. And if you do start a poll, could you include the link to it in this forum again? That was perfect... Otherwise I cannot access the poll from my mobile device for some reason. Thanks!

message 23: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) | 120 comments Ok. Here it is, please vote!!

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/85...

message 24: by Amber G., Group Creator (new)

I personally would rather not read a WWII book again after reading Rivers Edge. I would prefer reading something different. Maybe a love story. I may sit this one out, because I would rather not buy a book right now, too. Especially since I plan to read Inferno in July.

I would also like to discuss ideas on how to go about discussing books in a more interactive way. Maybe we can start a new thread and figure out how we read and discuss without waiting until the end of the month.

message 25: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 20 comments Esther, if you liked the Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton - then pick up 'The Secret Keeper' - it is Kate's best work, in my opinion.

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel John (racheljohn) | 17 comments I can get Unbroken from my library, although otherwise I'd rather read Esther the Queen.

As far as a more interactive discussion, maybe the moderators could make some questions in advance for everyone to answer?

message 27: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 20 comments I meant Shauna - re Kate Morton's book. Must have had Queen Esther on my mind...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.