Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Legend (Legend, #1)
This topic is about Legend
Archive > Legend by Marie Lu - Starts July 25th

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ElvenRaven (last edited Jun 01, 2013 08:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ElvenRaven | 244 comments Alycia and I have decided to buddy-read Legend by Marie Lu, starting on July 25th. Everyone is welcome to join us! The more, the merrier :)
By the way, this book was a nominee for the Goodreads Choice Awards last year, so those who read it can use it for their Goodreads Choice Awards Challenge :)

Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Alycia (bookhound18) Yay! Looking forward to it! I've had this one on my Nook for awhile. And, like you said, it'll count towards our Goodreads Choice Award Challenge. :)

ElvenRaven | 244 comments Great! I'm looking forward to discussing the book with you :)

Alycia (bookhound18) So we start this tomorrow already! Where has this summer gone??

message 5: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
I started this early (yesterday) because I didn't want to start another book only to break off for this (I'm pretty much a one book girl) .... and I've already finished! lol

I will still join in the discussion though, I'll just say at the moment that I loved it.

ElvenRaven | 244 comments I'm so glad you liked it Lynn, hopefully I'll love it too :) I've just started it, but I'll comment as I read.

Alycia (bookhound18) I'm planning on starting this today...looking forward to it! :)

ElvenRaven | 244 comments I've just finished part one, and I like it so far :) this book has a lot of action! (view spoiler)
I'll keep reading now :D I'll probably finish it today, it's pretty a fast read!

message 9: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Cin - (view spoiler) Marie Lu is not afraid to pull the punches ... more to come!

ElvenRaven | 244 comments Just finished it!
Wow, you were right Lynn, Marie Lu isn't afraid to pull the punches AT ALL. (view spoiler)

message 11: by Alycia (last edited Jul 26, 2013 04:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alycia (bookhound18) Man, I'm way behind! I've been getting ready to go away for the weekend today and only got about 40 pages in so far. I love it though! Hopefully, I'll have a bit of downtime while I'm gone to read some more. :)

ElvenRaven | 244 comments Take your time, Alycia :)

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 6035 comments Mod
Lol. This read just started yesterday and two of you have finished already! I really need to move this up my TBR. :)

ElvenRaven | 244 comments LOL Kristie, it's just that the book is really gripping once you get started!

message 15: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Not to worry Alycia, we are both here to discuss when you're ready :)

Kristie - As Cin said it's a really gripping book, I just kept swiping the pages and read it within 24 hours.

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

It sounds like it! That's why I need to move it up my TBR a bit. :) I'm so curious now!

message 17: by Anima (new) - added it

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I was not planning on reading this book, but it seems worth it, so I will put it on my TBR, hopefully this month :)

message 18: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
LOL Anima :)

message 19: by Anima (last edited Jul 28, 2013 12:09PM) (new) - added it

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Lynn, I'm really trying hard to achieve your goal, and read all the YA novels in the world LOL :), in August I'm going to break my personal record on number of YA books read in one month LOL

message 20: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
::like::

Alycia (bookhound18) Well, I didn't get any reading done this weekend. We were busy sightseeing! lol

message 22: by Alycia (last edited Jul 31, 2013 05:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alycia (bookhound18) Ok, I've finally made some headway! I'm into Part 2 now....let me just say that (view spoiler) Like you guys said, Marie Lu isn't afraid to pull punches!

I think I'll probably finish this book either today or tomorrow. :)

message 23: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Well you seem to be enjoying it as much as we did :)

Alycia (bookhound18) Yes, I am! Have about 40 pg. left now! :)

message 25: by Alycia (last edited Jul 31, 2013 01:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alycia (bookhound18) I love that it isn't like so many of the other teen books nowadays. No love triangle, no futuristic technology...I like the military feel of the book. All in all, it's been extremely enjoyable. In a lot of ways, it feels more "adult" to me.

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geez...I really do need to move this up my TBR! Lol Maybe September?

message 27: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
That's ok Kristie, we're used to you resurrecting threads a few months later ;)

Alycia (bookhound18) LOL Lynn! Kristie- You will love it if you decide to read it! :)

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol Lynn!

Alycia (bookhound18) Finished! What a fantastic book! I'm hoping the second one is as interesting as the first.

message 31: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
::like::

Alycia - When are you starting the next one?

message 32: by Alycia (last edited Aug 01, 2013 01:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alycia (bookhound18) I'm currently reading The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult and then I plan on reading the next one. Shall we do another buddy read?? :)

message 33: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Well shout when you're ready and if I can fit it in then yes :)

Alycia (bookhound18) Ok!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Legend (other topics)
The Storyteller (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marie Lu (other topics)