The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

General Chat > Mystery Protagonist

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janet (last edited Jun 01, 2013 07:46PM) (new)

Janet (Janet949) | 9 comments Which do you prefer as the protagonist in your crime fiction:

Police detective
Private investigator
Newspaper/TV reporter
?Other

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I like the private investigator best out of your list. They don't have anybody to answer to.

message 3: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2248 comments No preference.
It's not the career, it's the character that matters to me.
Those practicing each profession you've listed and all the others out there have unique insights and skills that can be useful in solving crime.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth | 408 comments Other. I like protagonists who are "outside the box" of typical mystery protagonists like my own river ranger and gift basket designer in my own two series.

message 5: by James (new)

James Jackson (jamesmjackson) | 10 comments I'm probably less interested in the police detective because there are so many. Like Beth, I prefer "outside the box" protagonists, which is why my protagonist is a financial crimes investigator.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

If I stop and think about it, some of my favorite stand-alone books have just the average Joe thrust into a big situation. These books tend to be more interesting because the reader may be able to relate a little more. It certainly makes things more interesting for me and also less predictable.

message 7: by K.J. (new)

K.J. Cales (KJ_Cales) | 2 comments I prefer protagonists who are drawn in by circumstances. The old Watson to Holmes and Rose to Doctor scenario. Not detectives or interested in crime until they find themselves caught up in the situation. After the mystery is solved, the journey has altered their perception of the world and life to the point that going back to the old normal is unthinkable. That is why I made my protagonist an author fighting for her life in a world of lies about her.

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori Rader-Day (loriraderday) | 25 comments I'm so glad to see so many people say they like books where normal people get pulled in to mysterious situations, since that's what I write. Those are my favorite books, too. Amateur detective, in the parlance.

message 9: by John (new)

John Bohnert I like all three. In fact I limit my crime fiction reading to these three categories.

message 10: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I have never given this much thought; it's a good question. Although I do read novels with detective protagonists, I do like to read about someone inadvertently pulled into a situation.