Murders & Mysteries discussion

General Discussions > Favorite Mystery/Thriller/Crime Author

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abenet (new)

Abenet | 8 comments Mod
Who's your all-time favorite mystery/thriller/crime author? And, what do you love about their books and writing style?

message 2: by The (new)

The Killer | 2 comments Hey Abenet,
One always has immense intrigue about subjects related to future & personality traits.Here is a book that offers a reader a homogeneous mixture of both with an ounce of mystery & suspense.A quick read with an engaging plot,the story is set in Mexico & NYC engages the readers to visualize a simple boy next door turning into a serial killer.The challenge is he leaves no signs behind...SIMPLY ENGAGING & HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

The Killer Loop

message 3: by Ceará (new)

Ceará (cearaloraine) john grisham. His book "The Confession" is one of my favorites. Because it gives you a thrill that you have no idea what will happen in the ending and it has twisted stories. Because I always like a book that makes you want to read more because you cannot predict of what might happen at the ending. So yeah John Grisham for me.

message 4: by Annmarie (new)

Annmarie Wilkerson | 4 comments Patricia Cornwell is my favorite. I love the characters in her books.

message 5: by Joe (new)

Joe Swithers | 3 comments Lee Child I love his attention to detail. Kathy Reich also.

message 6: by Mona (new)

Mona Grant-Holmes (monatwin) | 7 comments My favorite is Walter Mosley. I love his characters,his plot lines, and his overall style.

message 7: by Tonya. (new)

Tonya.  (tonyatonya) | 5 comments I have a few: Ann Cleeves, Ken Bruen, Chelsea Cain, Cody McFayden, Elizabeth George. Chelsea and Cody really pull you into the book, you actually feel your heart racing, looking over your shoulder and even telling other people about the books with so much enthusiasm they would have assumed you had literally lived the story !!!

message 8: by Loosescrews (new)

Loosescrews I never pass up books by Connelly, Child, or Crais. Their protagonists keep me coming back for more.

message 9: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 1 comments I love Kathy Reichs. Also Linda Fairstein. Think that it has something to do with the fact that they do the job they write about... makes it more real for me!

message 10: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Waines (ajwaines) | 38 comments I think my favourite at the moment (it changes!)is Zoe Heller What Was She Thinking? Notes on a Scandal . I love the writing style and the insidious creepy, stalky nature of Barbara. The pacing is excellent.

message 11: by Kristen Wendel (new)

Kristen Wendel | 1 comments Robert Crais, John Sandford (prey series), Harlan Coben, & Lee Child (reacher!) are my top favorite authors.

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark Michael Connelly is the best. The man can spin an awesome story.

message 13: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth Zguta (zguta) | 1 comments There are so many and each with their own merit. One of my favorites is Karen Slaughter - just finished Criminal not long ago, and I'm still thinking of it. A new talent is Jeremy Bates - loved his story The Taste of Fear. Susan Fleet has a great detective series going - the first book was Absolution. I just read a Grant McKenzie story, he is also a good talent. Of course I love Grisham, Sanford, Koontz & Agatha :)too

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin Podur (justinpodur) | 1 comments I know, I know, but I gotta say Conan Doyle. But after that, Lee Child does pop right into mind. And Lois McMaster Bujold. Some of the Vorkosigan books are pretty straight mystery-thrillers (Memory and Cryoburn). What I love about all these is the detectives ability to stay ahead of me - they keep coming up with amazing deductive leaps that make sense after the reveal. I love that feeling.

message 15: by Marcy (new)

Marcy Luikart | 6 comments Depends on my mood:
Ngaio Marsh for a good cozy
Rex Stout when I need an Archie fix
PD James when I want some deeper character

message 16: by Steven (new)

Steven Kohlhagen (stevenkohlhagen) | 6 comments elmore leonard and michael connelly.

message 17: by James (new)

James Mullen | 1 comments I mirror many favorites already mentioned. Crais, Connelly, Child, and James Lee Burke. I also try to squeeze a Chandler in periodically.

message 18: by Francisco (new)

Francisco DelCampo | 1 comments Slaughter and the Georgia series: absolutely interesting

message 19: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Wiggins | 1 comments I can't say that I have a "favorite" author but John Sandford with the "Prey" series and Lee Child with the "Reacher" series are right up there.

message 20: by Margery (new)

Margery Marcus | 1 comments Just finished listening to A Case of Redemption by Adam Mitzner. So engaging, I was sorry to finish it. Great courtroom scenes and a twists I never saw coming.

message 21: by Mahree (new)

Mahree Moyle | 5 comments Grisham, love to read his stories.

message 22: by Fisca (new)

Fisca | 1 comments Uhm...
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
:D
Dan Brown, Jeffery Deaver.
They're genius.

message 23: by Steven (new)

Steven Kohlhagen (stevenkohlhagen) | 6 comments michael connelly, elmore leonard, agree on "reacher," lee childs actually.

message 24: by R. (new)

R. Smith | 3 comments Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for me too. :-)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Abenet wrote: "Who's your all-time favorite mystery/thriller/crime author? And, what do you love about their books and writing style?"

For stand alone crime novels is Laura Lippman. For crime series writer is Michael Connely.

message 26: by JG (new)

JG | 1 comments hmmm........well i love Victoria Laurie, it's a cozy mystery/thriller but that doesn't keep me from feeling on the edge every time i read her books...
i dont really have a favorite author, i just have favorite books, Mary Higgins Clark have great books i love too, Dan Brown has some impressive books too

message 27: by Steven (new)

Steven Kohlhagen (stevenkohlhagen) | 6 comments can't miss with bernard cornwell (he also has a ton of english historical fiction, including king arthur series)