Struggling Writers discussion

*Archives * > June Newsletter 2013

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ingrid, Just another writer. (last edited Jun 01, 2013 06:17PM) (new)

Ingrid | 932 comments Mod
~2013 June Newsletter~
The newsletters are back and running! Booksellers, bloggists, and authors in the cyber community are welcome here to scroll through our many social attractions, including new book releases, book ads, events, and featured member writing. Thank you for the people who submitted their works to be handselected in our e-letters, as well as the grand focus exerted from the moderators of Struggling Writers. For those people who were not chosen in our selective process, don't worry---you have a greater chance of being promoted next year! Without further ado, please sit back and enjoy our newsletter of the month of June!
June Writing Contest 2013
Our Writing Contest will begin on June 1st and end on July 1st. The Moderators and I hold a standard for submissions and entries. First, any of the mentioned rules stated below with qualify or disqualify your piece. And secondly the theme of the Writing Contest is "Summer". or in plainest terms, the "June Writing Contest". We expect that you diligently follow our rules and guidelines:
Use the following words in your writing as you write your story:
Remember to send your very best work. Have it proofread by someone skilled at writing. Errors can cost you a win. Failure to follow ALL Contest Rules will result in disqualification.
Entries must be original and previously unpublished. You pick the subject and genre.
MAXIMUM WORD LIMIT - 20,000 words. NO MINIMUM WORD COUNT REQUIRED
We are seeking fiction and nonfiction short stories, NOT essays or poems. Short stories have a plot, characters, and dialogue as well as a sense of time and place.
Give your story a title . We receive entries continuously and having a title on your entry helps us identify it.
Proofread your work . Proofread it again. Have a mentor or parent proofread it one more time. Send only your best work.
Title Formatting : In the upper LEFT corner of PAGE 1 you must include name of author, title of story, the number of words, and the number of pages the story contains.
No Fancy Fonts - No Fancy Formatting - No Colored Text - No Pictures - No Text Boxes. This is a writing contest. We want to see your story written in a normal readable font. Times New Roman 12 is a good choice.
Explicit Material- Entries containing profanity, violent and/or sexually explicit material are not considered appropriate for this contest and will not be considered.
Entries MUST be written in English.
Multiple Submissions are NOT allowed. One story per person.
Please: Send your entry via this link here [insert link]. Or if the circumstances are barred, email it to ingrid596@easy.com
Entries MUST be received by midnight, July 1st, 2013.
Entries WILL NOT be returned . It is important that you maintain a copy for your files.
Winners will be announced and prizes awarded 30 - 45 days of close of the contest. Information the awards will be made public on the site for Struggling Writers, or in an upcoming topic.
Age Limit: Don't be confused by the title; this contest recruits all age groups!
Decision of the judges is final

Coming Soon: A-Z Book Challenge

"Calling all bookworms! Do you read so many books that it feels like you can no longer keep track? Well, the A-Z Book Challenge is back! Here's how it goes: each participant has to read a book for each letter of the alphabet. (For example, read a book whose title begins with A, then a book whose title begins with B, etc.).

Who will be the first to complete the challenge? Good luck to all of our readers!

If you're interested in joining the challenge, click here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... For the rules and guidelines, click here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

News: Introducing A New Support Group for Writers!!

"Are you a writer that's experiencing writer's block? Do you want to be part of a support group where you can get ideas, helpful tips, and inspiration? Look no further than the Support-A-Writer group on Google+, which is run by one of our very own Struggling Writers Members, Alana! This group hosts book swaps, blog swaps, prompts for writing, and more! Any writers with a Google+ account can join. Check it out and join here: https://plus.google.com/communities/1...
NEW: Poetry Share Festivity Starting Until June 10th
Calling all poets! Do you want feedback on your poetry and a chance to broaden your reader audince? Then The Poetry Share, held by one of our members, Elizabeth, is the thing for you. Taking place at her blog, http://dragonplume.wordpress.com/ , from now until June sixth each poet can submit up to three poems for viewing (by the blog's readers). This is not a contest, but the ten poets with the most likes by June 10th will be nominated for the Sunshine Award. Please send all entries to: inquiringminds149@yahoo.com

NEW BOOK RELEASES FROM OUR FELLOW MEMBERS
Congrats to the two book authors whose ads were chosen to be published: Mike Correy and Tista Ray!Here is Mike's rejuvenated ad for his upcoming song book.

A Light in The Darkness :
A Beginner's Guide to Wellness
Authored by Mike Corey
Photographs by Michael Luna, Tracey Schock, Herbert Buckle
Contributions by Brenda Lynn Logan, Jennifer Sieck, Chris Sweeney, Sabrina Marie Reynolds
Edited by Angela Lingelbach
description

Excerpt:
6 years of DBT classes, working in recovery resource centers, performing with the award winning Stars of Light Theater Troupe, speaking and running his own work shop at various conventions. Mike Corey now brings you his self help work book. Based around his own way of dealing with his mental differences such as (BPD) & (PTSD) among many others. This book is ment to help one get control over their worries, fears & anxiety's and to help one gain confidence & control over their lives. Although ment for those living with mental differences it can be used by all so enjoy.
For more information on Mike Corey's book, or to buy his book, go here:
https://www.createspace.com/4235217
or visit his online website at:
http://mikecorey2.wix.com/mikecorey#!...

Melancholic Delight
By Tista Ray
description

Tista Ray, an aspiring writer of seventeen, tries her luck in the world of literature. She was a student of St. Augustine’s Day School and at present a student of class XII. Now she is a self-published author, who is delightfully sending 50% of her proceeds from the sales of her new book, to an orphanage. Her book, Melancholic Delight, is an overview of love and companionship, and will be an inciteful read to young teen adults and romance fans.

Excerpt: ‘There’s no love like the first love. There’s no feeling like the desperation to attain true love. Love or lust matters not when two eyes meet, uniting the souls at once’

It’s this love which frees Sri from the reign of darkness and makes her heart rise to lofty heights of anticipated passion with no one to pull her back to reality. It’s Jishu, who appears as the first ray of hope in her overshadowed life and showers her with the ultimate sense of freedom, which she has been craving for. He fills her life with the long awaited perfection. To a flawed person he appears as the flawless. He becomes one among her most perfect acquaintances, but is he really as unblemished as he appears to be. If so, can a flawed person risk a life with the flawless? Do opposites really attract each other or it deviate them from their normal avenues of life?
For just $2.99 you can order Ray's book. For more information, or to order her book, go to her page at:
http://www.swiftboox.com/melancholic-...

The New Books Of 2013

Own the Wind
by Kristen Ashley

description

Rush
by Maya Banks
description

In Flight: (Up In the Air Book One)
by R.K. Lilley
description

Riddle of the Month
What goes up when rain comes down?
Answer: (read it backwards) !allerbmu na

message 2: by Ingrid, Just another writer. (new)

p.2 of the June newsletter

Writing Horoscopes

ARIES: March 21-April 19
If you are an Aries, then today you may be in a very stressful atmosphere. Your entourage is likely to be tense and anxious, and you're no exception. You may need to stay in the environment until you've accomplished your objectives. Your writing prompt this month is to write about a male or female whose weight, or 'baggage', is lifted off their shoulders.

TAURUS: April 20-May 20
Ahoy, Taurus! Right now, you're character is involved with a potential/current spouse. Often she disagrees on whether to spend some time together alone or go out with friends with her husband.Well, the best choice would be to communicate with one another and find apposition, right? But what if the two were still at odds? Write this ending.

GEMINI: May 21-June 21
A relaxing evening at home may be just what your character needs, Gemini, but a colleague might ask him to attend a business-related event. He may have had a stressful few days. Such a party may be the last thing he wants to do. Don't be afraid to say no. For this, write about a man stressed out over two events that he needs to attend: a colleague's birthday and a job interview. The closing end sentence will have a surprise of an ending.

CANCER: June 22-July 22
Today your character, Phil, may try to contact several people, Cancer, none of whom may be available. He'll particularly want to reach a lady friend or spouse who lives far away. This could prove frustrating, as he have some interesting news for her. In perspective, write about the female who is avoiding his calls. Why is she taking so long to answer and what can she possibly be doing that overscores his plans? Take a long minute to conjure this, along with setting, time, and plot before reinstating the thesis in your storytale. What happens?

LEO: July 23 - August 22
Whether or not your character should make a specific expidenture could cause some tension between she and a partner, Leo. She may think it isn't feasible, while a friend encourages her to oppose her partner. How does this monstrous fairytale end?

VIRGO: August 23 - September 22
Until now, your main character may have been too stubborn about doing what they wanted without trying to address the question of their financial means, Virgo. Your prompt, however, is limitless to your desires. You will write about a fashion mogule who is buried in her career and company to find happiness in a man, or child. Will she revert to her own ways, taxing digits in her retirement account or find Mr.Right in the nick of time?

LIBRA: September 23 - October 22
Your character is in a situation in which he or she has to make a decision about a relationship, Libra. Perhaps old demons have come back to haunt them about their freedom, and now they have doubts. Write about this event and how it shadows the protagonist.

SCORPIO: October 23 - November 21
Your protagonist isn't a big advocate for working under constraints, Scorpio. Only, your character is a bum teacher who suddenly strives to get his students Straight As. Can this self-absorbed narcissist grade his students as well as his life?

SAGITTARIUS - November 22-December 21
Today your character may be anxious to spend time with her family, Sagittarius, but there could be some chores she has to do before her summer release. You decide the issue she needs to battle in order to front her parents. And what will happen in the end?

CAPRICORN: December 22-January 19
Capricorn, your character is on the Wheel of Love. If she's waiting for someone to fulfill all of her needs, you may have to wait a very long time before old age. The paradox of love is that it arrives on your doorstep in its most profound form when you need it least.So write about the person she encounters and if its truly the atrocious fit.

AQUARIUS: January 20-February 18
Your mother-of-four protagonist faces difficulties of her own, Aquarius. Her children's education brings back memories of her taken. Has she held onto any issues from that period that still bother her today? This would be a good time to ask yourself that question in your short story. Write about the thoughts that go through her mind as she cares for her children, including a flashback of her adolescent years.

PISCES: February 19-March 20
Your character usually spends beyond their means today, Pisces! If they happen to be in a crowd of enthusiastic shoppers, it could be disastrous for your wallet. Write about an instance where your character is robbed, directly or indirectly, in their home!

message 3: by Ingrid, Just another writer. (new)

P.3!

Featured Writing

Congrats to Charlotte Howard, our contestant winner! This is an excerpt of her novel: Dirty Words

I died for a short while the first time we met. There was no fluttering in my chest, no somersault of my stomach, no burning in my loins. My heart literally stopped. He was tall, at least six-foot-four, and dressed in a pair of worn indigo jeans that perfectly matched his intense stare. A silk black shirt covered what I imagined
to be a ripple of hard muscle, and opened at the top, showing a dusting of tight, dark curls. His thick neck led towards a razor-sharp, square jaw line, a straight nose that had clearly never seen the ill effects of rough play, and deep, hooded eyes. Hair that could have been straight had been styled with a slight wave. I was sure it
was dark brown, but it could have easily been black, and had shots of silver-grey streaking through it.
My face was lined up with his toes, or more precisely, his pristinely polished black patent chukka boots.
Palms down in the thick mud beneath me, I pushed up and let my eyes glance at the man in front of me. He looked none too pleased to see his clothes spattered with flecks of dirt from where I had landed and splashed him.
I struggled to get to my feet as my own boots dug into the ground, slipping against the wet grass.
Eventually I found my knees and leant back, looking up at him. I forced a grin on my mud-covered face, but he didn’t return it. Finally able to stand without landing on my backside, I wiped my hands down the sides of my bare thighs.
His glare speared through the apology that I tried to splutter, words failing to come from my vocal cords. In the distance, I heard someone call my name. Looking over my shoulder, I could see my teammates beckoning me to rejoin the group.
“Sorry,” the word leapt forward.
A dark eyebrow flicked upwards. “Are you going to pay for that?” he asked, snapping each word as though he was talking to some insolent child.
“It’s a muddy field, you’re watching a rugby match,” I countered, my eyes narrowing. “Try stepping away from the lines.”
“You’ve got a mouth on you.” A smile twitched at the corners of his lips. I’ve got a mouth on me? What the hell was that supposed to mean? I was about to make some loud comment about him being arrogant and
conceited, but the captain of the team had already reached my heel.
“You coming?” Lou tugged on my elbow, throwing a smile towards the man who loomed over me.
“Yeah,” I said, racing back into the game.
“Who’s your friend?” Lou asked, nodding towards Tall, Dark, and Smoldering.
“I haven’t got a clue, but he wasn’t impressed by my skidding halt!” I laughed, tossing her the ball.
We finished practice at two o’clock, as we did every Saturday afternoon. I listened to the laughter and loud chattering of my teammates and friends, as I scrubbed at the mud that caked my arms, legs, and face.
Warm water pummeled at my aching muscles. I rubbed away the sweat with a floral-scented shower gel. I made a point of using feminine-scented products, since I lived in such a masculine world.
Not only did I play rugby, a game that my mother always told me was unbecoming for a woman of my standing, but I also lived with two men and worked in an office where I was the only female. I was also
incredibly single. My exes were exes because they found it impossible to deal with, and those non-conquests refused to believe that I wasn’t a lesbian. Saying that, it had been over a year since I’d even tried to get anyone into my bed…
As well as girly soaps, I also keep my hair long, although it was usually tied into a loose bun, and I wear makeup every day. I can’t help my physique, unfortunately. I am shorter than average, standing at only fivefoot-three, and while I do have what would be classed as an hourglass figure, I am also plagued by quite thick thighs and strong arms. This is not helped by my exercise regime.
Once a week I play rugby, nothing serious, simply for fun, but I also attend mixed martial arts classes on Mondays, go swimming at least twice a week, and hit the gym on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. When I’m not at the gym, swimming, or taking part in a game where my backside is often handed to me on a platter, I like to go for long jogs or ride my horse. Except for Sundays. Sunday is my day of rest. Not because I am religious in any way, shape, or form, but because I have been socially trained to accept that this is the day that I do nothing.
After the game where I slid on my face for several feet until coming to an abrupt stop at his feet, I decided that I would forego our usual routine of drinks down at the local pub and, instead, head home to
nurse the scrapes and scratches that marked my elbows, knees, and chin.
Walking back to my Golf, I saw Tall, Dark, and Smoldering leaning against a tree. His arms were folded tightly in front of him, and he had a chukka resting on one of the many boulders that separated the car park from the fields.
I threw a nod and a smile towards him as I rummaged in my jean pockets for my keys, dumping the battered and muddied holdall next to the wheel.
“Good game?” he asked, but when I looked up, I could see he wasn’t pointing the question in my direction. A stick-thin, terribly young blonde had appeared by his side and kissed him on the cheek. She
clutched a hockey stick in her right hand, and handed him a pink rucksack with the other.
Part of me felt almost embarrassed that I had wanted him to be talking to me. The rest of me bundled into the car and headed home.
I should probably point out that my home was not a shabby apartment in some dingy area of town. It was actually an old farmhouse at the edge of a well-to-do village, nestled in the heart of Hampshire.
As I said earlier, I live with two men, and no, neither of them are gay. I have sometimes questioned the sexuality of my brother Mark, what with his flair for style, and his love of shopping and spas, but then again I have also been introduced to the many girls that have graced our home for a single night.
The other man to reside with us is Daniel Turnbull. Danny is gorgeous in every sense of the word, but may as well have been my other brother. I’ve known him all my life, since he and Mark are best friends. He is also ultra-macho to the point of being a Neanderthal. It would not surprise me if one day I caught him dragging the lifeless body of some poor girl he’d clonked over the head to drag back to his cave.
On this day, when I arrived home, both men were sitting in the living room, feet resting on the coffee table, beer bottle in one hand, Xbox controller in the other.
“Jeez,” I muttered, as I tried to resist sniffing the air in fear of my gagging reflex reacting to the scent of primal male. Unfortunately, when you live with two men under the age of thirty, it is impossible to avoid the stench of sweaty socks, stale beer, and cheesy nachos. Combine that with the fact that it was the height of summer, and you have one highly stink-filled house.
I dumped the holdall next to the washing machine and looked around the kitchen. Bowls filled with the residue of the morning’s breakfasts, an empty milk bottle, several empty beer bottles, used newspapers, and layers of shed clothes were scattered around the room.
"We seriously need to tidy up,” I yelled through, knowing full well that the only reaction I would get would be an annoyed grunt or two.
The dishwasher door fell with a clatter, as I peered in and realized that it was still full of dirty pots from two days ago. The stench of old food was unbelievable, and my head snapped backwards with such force I’m surprised I still have neck bones. Ripping open a packet from under the sink, I aimed the blue-and-yellow tablet at the little box in the door before slamming it shut and pressing the white button. It whirred and chugged noisily as I ran the water in what little space I could find in the sink and began to sort through the pots and rubbish, attempting to find a clean spot.
Peeling a pair of boxer shorts from the back of a chair, I grimaced and flung them towards the holdall by the washing machine.
“Disgusting men,” I chuntered in revulsion, even though I knew that our living arrangements were as much my fault as they were theirs. But that didn’t stop me from blaming them.
“Stick the kettle on,” called a voice from the front room, grating on my final nerve. A deep growl vibrated in the base of my throat as I stormed into the room and began yelling several obscenities at them.
"All right, chill, Butch!” Mark laughed. He knew I hated that school nickname. I wanted to throw something at my brother’s head, but I knew that Mother would only chastise me for having put him in the hospital with a split skull yet again. Golden boy could do no wrong. Fortunately, our father always took my side when it came to arguments, so we were evenly defended.
Danny saw sense and ducked into the next room to make tea for everyone. That is the glorious, if not slightly annoying, thing about living in England. We are the country that truly believes, without any shadow of a doubt, that a simple hot beverage can solve all issues. Arguing kids? Cup of tea. Problems at work? Cup of tea. World war, mass hunger, and poverty? Have a cup of bleeding Rosy-Lee.
I marched after him, spitting my annoyances out as he busied himself by the kettle. Throwing dirty clothes towards the washing machine, chucking empty packets in the bin, did nothing to soothe my
frustrations.
“Bad game?” Danny asked, in an attempt at small talk.
“Not really,” I grunted, sinking into the one chair that no longer had clothes, newspapers, and pots
covering it.
“Go on, then."
“Go on, then, what?” I asked, squinting to emphasize my annoyance.
“Go on, then, tell us what your problem is.” By this time, Mark had joined us, shoving everything off the chair opposite me so that it landed on the floor. I glowered at him like an angry cat threatening to hiss and spit.
“Jesus H. Someone’s pissed you off,” Mark groaned, almost in a mocking manner, if that’s possible.
“No,” I said, my brows furrowing into a tight knot at the top of my slightly snubbed nose. Confusion settled in. Was someone pissing me off?
“Seriously, Butch, we know you far too well. Spill it.”
“Nothing!” I snapped, perhaps too quickly.
“What’s his name, and what did he do?” Danny this time, his voice getting deeper as though ready to go into full-blown protective mode. I rolled my eyes and tried to ignore him.
“Sis, you have to tell us now.” Mark leant forward and grabbed at my hands. I pulled away and threw him a "What the hell?" look. He laughed and fell backwards into the seat again. Danny plonked a mug in front of each of us. The cream-colored liquid sloshed over the sides, giving me yet more to clean up.
“Okay, okay,” I relented, picking up the mug and sipping at the cool drink. Danny always added too much milk for my taste, but it was still welcomed, helping to massage away the aches and pains that gripped
at my muscles from the match earlier. I proceeded to tell them all about TDS, even though I wasn’t sure why he was the one in my head. I could have come up with a thousand excuses for my foul mood: rough game,annoying bad drivers, untidy house. But the truth was that he was still at the front of my thoughts. He had riled me in a way that I had never been riled before.
“Sounds like you’re in L.O.V.E!” cooed Mark, ridiculing me. I wanted to slap him, but couldn’t reach, and didn’t dare throw lukewarm tea across the room, so I settled for a scowl.
Downing the rest of my drink, I turned to the holdall and dirty clothes piled on top of it, shoving them all into the machine before filling it with powder and liquids to get rid of the muck and smells. “You two can finish the kitchen,” I yelled, as I went up to the private sanctuary of my bedroom.

If you really liked her first chapter visit her page at: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

message 4: by Ingrid, Just another writer. (new)

P.4 of the June newsletter!

Q&A With E.R. Yatscoff
Out of all the entries for our question and answer interview with some of the most amazing authors around, E.R.'s answers were both punctual and interesting. This is the piece to our male-winning author!
E.R. Yatscoff

What was your inspiration for Archie's Gold?
[My inspiration is] the weird, often dangerous characters in my hometown during my childhood. Placing them in my story was fun, and I think did them justice bringing them to life as they once were.

What tips do you have for authors that are new to the publishing process?
[One is] your diligence regarding editing. Many simple errors can be weeded out by Spell Check and Grammar Check. Join a writers group to get honest opinions. A bad review on line stays forever and speed bumps in writing can kill your story before readers even finish the chapter.

Why do you think people will enjoy ARCHIE'S GOLD?
Archie is a tough street kid with a heart of gold who only wants to be reunited with his estranged father. There 's no magic wands or special powers for Archie. It takes everything he's got to use his street smarts to fence gold coins evading dirty cops and hoodlums.

Did you self-publish your story, or was it professionally published?

Self-published, after Tundra Books cut it from their spring list in 2010.

What is some advice that you have for young, aspiring writers? Write something every day.
Keep a 'madman's diary' on you to write down crazy thoughts that bloom in your head. Also, join a writers group and get feedback.

Did you ever picture yourself as a published author?
Yes. When my children were growing up I'd select books for them and some were absolutely terrible and boring. I knew I could do better.

Was writing always your passion, or did you ever have a different career in mind?
My firefighter suspense novels brewed in the back of my mind for quite a few years. When I became a fire captain things fell into place. I suppose being in a command position got my juices flowing.

What author/story do you look up to and use for ideas/inspiration?
I do like THE WARLORD'S SON by Dan Fesperman and HARD REVIOLUTION by George Pelacanos, as well as almost anything by James Lee Burke. JLB has incredible imaging that I still find exciting, especially in a detective novel. Even though I've read all his novels, I never pass up a chance to read their first page I pick one up in passing. Oddly, I read few YA and no juvies, mostly because I don't care for fantasy which seems to be flooding those markets.

What do you find to be the most difficult part of the writing process?
[I find to be most difficult the process of ] editing. The difficulty in trying to remain objective while judiciously going through a novel, line by line. The art in writing is allowing readers to see, feel, and smell the author's world.

Can we expect some new works from you in the future?
Yes, two. FINAL RESPONSE, my third firefighter novel, is being reviewed at Bookus Publishing and VOODOO BULLY, a juvenile, is going through the gauntlet of my writers group, who currently have chapter five. Both have samples on my website. www.yatscoffbooks.com
Q&R with Sarah Weldon
Sarah Weldon, author of Cally's Secret, agreed to share the inspiration for her story, as well as some tips from her own experiences to help some of the new and up-and-coming authors out there.

What was your inspiration for Cally's Secret?
My inspiration for Cally's Secret was finding out I was pregnant at the ripe old age of 45! [It] came as a bit of a shock, as you can imagine!

What tips do you have for authors that are new to the publishing process?
[Authors should] have their manuscripts professionally edited--a poorly edited book reflects back on the author.

Why do you think people, especially readers, will enjoy Cally's Secret?
[People will enjoy the story] because it's true to life, [because] these things happen to real people all the time-- people commit adultery, bad stuff happens and life goes on. I imagine there will be people who wonder if Cally or Sarah was based on them! The answer is no, they were both figments of the authors imagination, as were the rest of the characters I hasten to add.

Did you self-publish your story, or was it professionally published?
I self published [Cally's Secret] in the end. I was offered a contract with Pegasus, Elliott, & Mckenzie under their Vanguard label - but with no previous experience, I was asked to contribute--unfortunately for me, the amount was out of my budget range, being a single mum and widow with only my pension for income.

What is some advice that you have for young, aspiring writers? Believe in your own ability, and never, ever give up. Even the most famous writers have had their share of rejections--take JK Rowling [for example]. I bet the publishers who turned down the Harry Potter saga are kicking themselves now!

Did you ever picture yourself as a published author?
Yes, from an early age--I believed in [myself], and my grandmother believed in me, [too]...she told my father she would "make him eat his hat" when I published my first book!

Was writing always your passion, or did you ever have a different career in mind?
Writing was always my passion. I wanted to be a journalist, but my father refused to let me continue my education on the grounds that I would get married, have children--it was a waste of money in his eyes.

What author/story do you look up to and use for ideas/inspiration?
That's a difficult question to answer, I have so many favourite writers and books and many different genres. If I had to pinpoint one particular author it would be D H Lawrence, [because] his writing was way ahead of his time. Lady Chatterly's Lover, the un-abridged version, naturally, [also inspired me] but I can't say it actually inspired me to write. Inspiration comes from the strangest sources, [such as] the newspapers, songs, just about anywhere.

What do you find to be the most difficult part of the writing process?
The middle of the story, where you have to keep continuity at all times, [including] names, places, red herrings; [they] all have to be brought together.

Can we expect some new works from you in the future?
Yes--The Menorah Murders is currently in revision after being professionally edited and I hope to release it before the end of the summer. I am also working on House of Death, in the home straight [and] heading for the finish line, but it will be several months before it is released.

Special thanks to Sarah Weldon for completing this interview!

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) *claps*

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Yay!

message 7: by L (new)

L Brilliant!

message 8: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Thank-you :)