The Sword and Laser discussion

Among Others
This topic is about Among Others
219 views
2013 Reads > AO: Spoiler Question for Sunday 16th December 1979, and about her family

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

John Wiswell | 86 comments The entry for Sunday the 16th is signed, unlike most entries in the book. However, it's signed "Morganna Rachel Phelps Markova."

Morganna is Morwenna's dead sister. Morwenna is our narrator, presumably for every entry, since this is her diary. Morganna ought not to be alive to write this, let alone be nearby, and tampering with the journal is never mentioned later. It seems written in the same voice as Morwenna.

Is this a typo? An error? Has Morwenna signed her sister's name as some element of a pact, since she's just sworn never to abuse magic? If so, why would she sign her sister's name instead of her own? I don't believe Walton was so outlandish to have had the sisters swapped and identities mistaken.


message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6885 comments Mod
Good catch. I totally missed that. I'm curious if it will be explained, or if it's a typo.


Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I totally missed that. (view spoiler)


Dazerla | 227 comments Good catch, I totally missed that. What's interesting is that , it's a sworn oath regarding magic.


message 5: by Louise (last edited Jun 02, 2013 07:18AM) (new) - added it

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments It's been a while since I read it, but (view spoiler)


Dazerla | 227 comments Louise wrote: "It's been a while since I read it, but [spoilers removed]"

Yes, but later in the book than this. (view spoiler)


message 7: by Louise (last edited Jun 02, 2013 08:16AM) (new) - added it

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments Julia wrote: "Louise wrote: "It's been a while since I read it, but [spoilers removed]"

Yes, but later in the book than this. [spoilers removed]"


Ah. I could of sworn it was right at the beginning :) This is what happens when I don't re-read the month's book but rely on reading it over a year ago.

Which leads me to another issue - I have no idea how far through the book "December 1979" is...I'd somehow decided it was near the end. Might it be possible to give some idea of progress through the book beyond a date?


Dazerla | 227 comments Louise wrote: "Julia wrote: "Louise wrote: "It's been a while since I read it, but [spoilers removed]"

Yes, but later in the book than this. [spoilers removed]"

Ah. I could of sworn it was right at the beginn..."



Or I missed it in the beginning, and only realized later in the book when it's more spelled out.


John Wiswell | 86 comments Louise wrote: "Julia wrote: "Louise wrote: "It's been a while since I read it, but [spoilers removed]"

Yes, but later in the book than this. [spoilers removed]"

Ah. I could of sworn it was right at the beginn..."


I thought the date would be the easiest way for people to look it up since there are different versions. It's on page 159/160 out of 320 in my copy. Almost exactly halfway.


message 10: by Louise (new) - added it

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments John wrote: "I thought the date would be the easiest way for people to look it up since there are different versions. It's on page 159/160 out of 320 in my copy. Almost exactly halfway.
"


Ah, right, ta :)

I don't have a copy - read it from the library.


message 11: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Wiswell | 86 comments Louise wrote: "John wrote: "I thought the date would be the easiest way for people to look it up since there are different versions. It's on page 159/160 out of 320 in my copy. Almost exactly halfway.
"

Ah, righ..."


That's totally understandable!

And I completely missed that she said she went by her sister's name. Can anyone dig up the date of the entry she said that on?


message 12: by Louise (new) - added it

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments Its also mentioned on Jo Walton's LJ FAQ on the books:

http://papersky.livejournal.com/50411... (skip to section three to avoid potential spoilers). Though (view spoiler)


message 13: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Wiswell | 86 comments Louise wrote: "Its also mentioned on Jo Walton's LJ FAQ on the books:

http://papersky.livejournal.com/50411... (skip to section three to avoid potential spoilers). Though [spoilers removed]"


That's wild!


Teena | 16 comments Louise wrote: "Its also mentioned on Jo Walton's LJ FAQ on the books:

http://papersky.livejournal.com/50411... (skip to section three to avoid potential spoilers). Though [spoilers removed]"


Very interesting! I just assumed it was an e-book typo or something. Thanks for sharing!


Katina French (thatdarnkat) | 48 comments I noticed it. I assumed it had to do with the old saw that (view spoiler)


back to top