The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.14 -- Amy C's task: The America's Cup

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 03, 2013 04:07PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10919 comments Mod
25.14 -- Amy C's task: The America's Cup
The 2013 America's Cup is being held in San Francisco with the Louis Vuitton challenge beginning in July. This will be the first time that San Francisco has hosted this international competition.

For this task, select two (2) different options and read one book for each option or read one book satisfying one (1) option that is over 500 pages.

Required: Please identify which option(s) you used and any other required information when you post. If using the cover option, include the cover in your post.

Option 1 - Read a book where sailing is the main subject of the book. The book may be fiction or nonfiction, but a voyage on a sailboat must be involved. Required: If the Goodreads description of the book does not specifically refer to sailing, explain how your choice fits the task when you post.
Sail, Maiden Voyage, An Embarrassment of Mangoes: A Caribbean Interlude, Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy, A Voyage for MadmenMaster and CommanderDoveBoat Girl: A Memoir of Youth, Love & FiberglassRed Sky in Mourning: A True Story of Love, Loss, and Survival at Sea

Option 2 - Read a book that has a sail on the cover. The book may be about anything, but it must have a sail on the cover.
Two Years Before the Mast A Personal Narrative of Life at Sea by Richard Henry Dana Jr. Sailing to Jessica by Kelly Watts Sail by James Patterson Scurvy How a Surgeon, a Mariner, and a Gentlemen Solved the Greatest Medical Mystery of the Age of Sail by Stephen R. Bown Summer Secrets by Barbara Freethy

Option 3 - To commemorate the first race for the America's Cup, which took place in 1851, read a book that was first published in or before 1851.

message 2: by Amy C (new)

Amy C | 78 comments Placeholder for approved books.

message 3: by Amy C (new)

Amy C | 78 comments Placeholder for books that do not satisfy requirements.

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Will this work for a option 1 or 2 Here, There Be Dragons (Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #1) by James A. Owen

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7595 comments guess this gives me a reason to finally read Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy - since it is on my professional reading list for the Navy (and bonus, its 500+ pages)

message 7: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) | 520 comments Will you take this for sail on cover? The thing on her hair.

She Rises by Kate Worsley

For anyone looking for a new book for Option 1, Cinnamon and Gunpowder: A Novel is a fun pirate and food book set on a sail boat.

message 9: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Will this work for the one book option? Options 1 & 2.

Circle Of Bones a Caribbean Thriller by Christine Kling

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 883 comments Option 1 Master and Commander
Option 2 The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell
Will these work?

message 11: by Amy C (new)

Amy C | 78 comments JennRenee, Here, There Be Dragons by James A. Owen works for Option 1.

message 13: by Amy C (new)

Amy C | 78 comments Chaitra, yes She Rises by Kate Worsley works for Option 2.

message 14: by Amy C (new)

Amy C | 78 comments Valorie, Circle Of Bones a Caribbean Thriller by Christine Kling works for the one book option.

message 15: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1695 comments I wanted to double check if you saw my post #8? I know In the Belly of the Bloodhound: Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber would count for option 1, but am wondering if there is enough sail for option 2, so that I could use the one book option:
In the Belly of the Bloodhound Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #4) by L.A. Meyer

message 16: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 802 comments I was going to ask the same question about In the Belly of the Bloodhound Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #4) by L.A. Meyer

message 17: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments would The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens work for option 3 and for just one book to read? Published before 1851 and 801 pages.

message 18: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1695 comments Oh my gosh, I just saw that you wrote the task like the 25.17 Metal task, so that means if the book is over 500 pages, it just has to fit 1 option like Aleksandra asked? That would mean In the Belly of the Bloodhound works because it's over 500 pages and fits option 1, right?

message 19: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments would this work for 1 book options 1 and 2 Under the Jolly Roger Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #3) by L.A. Meyer there is a pirate sail in the background or Under the Jolly Roger Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #3) by L.A. Meyer . I can do either book cover- the library has both

message 21: by Amy C (new)

Amy C | 78 comments Valerie, Circle Of Bones a Caribbean Thriller by Christine Kling works for the one book option.

message 22: by Amy C (new)

Amy C | 78 comments Cindy, those books fit the options. Enjoy!

message 23: by Amy C (new)

Amy C | 78 comments Aleksandra, The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens works for Option 3.

message 24: by Amy C (last edited Jun 04, 2013 08:19PM) (new)

Amy C | 78 comments JennRenee, Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber with either cover works. For books over 500 pages only one of the options need to be satisfied.

message 25: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Amy C wrote: "JennRenee, Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber with either cover works. For books over 500 pages only one of the options need to be satisfied."

oh thanks i missed that!

message 26: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Amy C wrote: "Valerie, Circle Of Bones a Caribbean Thriller by Christine Kling works for the one book option."

great, thanks!

message 27: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments I was hoping to use Curse of the Blue Tattoo Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady (Bloody Jack, #2) by L.A. Meyer for option 2. It's kind of hard to see in the small thumbnail, but if you enlarge it, it looks like there are sails on the boat in the background. Will it work?

message 28: by Amy C (new)

Amy C | 78 comments Stacie, yes it looks likes sails in the background. It will work.

message 29: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Can I read Sailing With Senta - Playtime in the Philippines by Pierre Van Rooyen - Pierre Van Rooyen for option 2?

message 30: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Amy C wrote: "Stacie, yes it looks likes sails in the background. It will work."

Thanks Amy!

message 31: by Deedee (last edited Jun 13, 2013 07:27AM) (new)

Deedee | 2080 comments I'm thinking about Ship of Magic for the one book option. It's over 500 pages long. My copy has the cover:
Ship of Magic (Liveship Traders, #1) by Robin Hobb

but an alternate cover is:
Ship of Magic (The Liveship Traders, #1) by Robin Hobb

Would this novel count as one-book? and, when I post, should I post the cover of the book I have, or, should I post the alternate cover? Thanks!

Found other one-book options:
The Edge of the World (Terra Incognita, #1) by Kevin J. Anderson Shaman's Crossing (Soldier Son, #1) by Robin Hobb The Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay

message 32: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2080 comments For Option 1, would The Twelve Rooms of the Nile by Enid Shomer work? The blurb says that it is a historical novel that imagines a fictional meeting of "Florence Nightingale and Gustave Flaubert" as they "traveled up the Nile at the same time" by boat.

message 33: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 563 comments okay, so I see you're okay with voyages on navy boats, pirate ships, pontoons...
Will this work for option 1 (voyage on a cruiseship)?

From Russia, with Love

message 34: by Amy C (new)

Amy C | 78 comments Deedee, Ship of Magic works for the one book option. It's over 500 pages and has a ship with sails on its cover.

message 35: by Amy C (new)

Amy C | 78 comments Deedee, The Twelve Rooms of the Nile would work. I'm assuming in 1850 that they are on some sort of sail boat like a felucca.

message 36: by Amy C (new)

Amy C | 78 comments Ty, A voyage on a cruise ship wouldn't work. I believe all the boats I have approved have some sort of sail. Sorry.

message 37: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 563 comments okay. lets try again. furled sails on the ship. you might have to squint...

option 2 (one book option)
Petals on the River by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

here is a larger pic:
https://ebooks-imgs.eb.sonynei.com/eb...

message 38: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (deja05) | 100 comments Would We, the Drowned by Carsten Jensen work for the one book option?

message 39: by Bouchra (new)

Bouchra Rebiai (bouchrarebiai) | 93 comments Would The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights work for Option 3, and the one book option?

message 40: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier by Daphne du Maurier

Is there enough sail showing to qualify?

message 41: by Amy C (last edited Jun 30, 2013 08:49PM) (new)

Amy C | 78 comments Bouchra, The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights works for Option 3 and the one book option.

message 42: by Amy C (new)

Amy C | 78 comments Ty, Petals on the River by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss works just fine. Enjoy!

message 43: by Amy C (new)

Amy C | 78 comments Andrea, We, the Drowned by Carsten Jensen works for the one book option!

message 44: by Amy C (new)

Amy C | 78 comments Wanda, There is enough sail showing in Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier

message 45: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments For the 1 book option I think I'll do Moby Dick - 1st published in 1851.

I have one edition: Moby-Dick by Herman Melville .

My neighbor has this edition: Moby-Dick by Herman Melville .

Both copies have over 600 pages. But which cover has enough of the sail boat for the cover to count?

message 46: by Kristina Simon (new)

Anne (Booklady) wrote: "For the 1 book option I think I'll do Moby Dick - 1st published in 1851.

I have one edition: Moby-Dick by Herman Melville.

My neighbor has this edition: Moby-Dick by Herman Melville.

Both c..."

Hi, Anne. If the book you choose is over 500 pages, it only needs to fit one option. Since Moby Dick was first published in 1851 and both editions are over 500 pages, either edition will work for this task.

message 47: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Thanks Christie! Both editions have 600+ pages, but wasn't sure about enough sail to meet that option.

message 48: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments I am going to read Sail by James Patterson and Two Years Before the Mast A Sailor's Life at Sea by Richard Henry Dana Jr. .

message 49: by Peebee (new)

Peebee | 486 comments My Old Man and the Sea by David Hays has a partial sail...is it enough?

message 50: by Kristina Simon (new)

Peebee wrote: "My Old Man and the Sea by David Hays has a partial sail...is it enough?"

I can see a sail. It works.

« previous 1