Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

Lock, Stock, and Over a Barrel (Dear Daphne #1)
This topic is about Lock, Stock, and Over a Barrel
Archived Buddy Reads > ❀Caitlyn and Melanie❀ Lock, Stock, and Over a Barrel by Melody Carlson

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Jun 10, 2013 09:09PM) (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6295 comments Mod
Caitlyn and Melanie will be buddy reading Lock, Stock, and Over a Barrel by Melody Carlson.

With high hopes, Daphne Ballinger lands her dream job at The New York Times. But it's not long until writing about weddings becomes a painful reminder of her own failed romance, and her love of the city slowly sours as well. Is it time to give up the Big Apple for her small hometown of Appleton?

When her eccentric Aunt Dee passes away and leaves a sizeable estate to Daphne, going back home is an easy choice. What isn’t easy is coming to terms with the downright odd clauses written into the will.

Daphne only stands to inherit the estate if she agrees to her aunt's very specific posthumous terms -- personal and professional. And if she fails to comply, the sprawling old Victorian house shall be bequeathed to . . . Aunt Dee’s cats.

And if Daphne thinks that’s odd, wait until she finds out an array of secrets about Aunt Dee's life, and how imperfect circumstances can sometimes lead to God's perfect timing.

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments I just wanted to let you know that I am finished with the first half! No rush, just let me know when you're ready to discuss. :)

message 3: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9591 comments Mod
Okay. :) I should have it done by tonight.

message 4: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Just finished. Sorry about the delay - I didn't read as much yesterday as I had thought I would.

So I'm liking the story so far. My copy is really weird - it's an ARC and has notes/comments from the author in the midst of the story. Really different!

I was really shocked that Aunt Dee is really Daphne's grandmother! I had thought the age gap between Daphne's father and Aunt Dee was very strange, so it definitely makes sense that she's really his mother, I just didn't see it coming.

I can't believe the way Beverly acted when Daphne called her - it was so rude! I'm glad Daphne has Olivia now for a friend - she seems nice. :)

message 5: by Caitlyn (last edited Jun 12, 2013 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments No problem! :)

This is a new to me author and I am pleasantly surprised by how much I am liking it! That is interesting, and kinda cool! :)

I completely agree! I'm so glad I wasn't the only one that didn't see that coming! I usually end up guessing things like that pretty early on, and the age gap did seem kinda odd but I didn't really think very much about it! Kudos to the author for hiding it so well :)

I know, it was unbelievable how insensitive she was! I'm glad of that too, yeah Olivia is pretty cool!

I was totally reeling right along with Daphne when Jake was telling her Aunt Dee's secrets! The implications of each shocking revelation were starting to give me a headache (In a good way!)

I love that Aunt Dee named her cats Lucy and Ethel! So fun! :)

While I didn't care for how catty she was being, I must admit I totally cracked up at the fake wedding announcement Daphne wrote for Shelby and 'John Junior'! :) I was glad she deleted it right away though, as I was a little worried that it would cause some serious problems.

I couldn't believe the way Daphne's family acted when the will was read. I suppose it was probably all too realistic, but still I was shocked by how downright rude they were!

Any thoughts on who Daphne will end up falling for? I'm kind of leaning towards Mick, the gardener. But I really have no clue at this point! :) But I guess this is the first in a series so maybe she won't end up with anybody in this one! I'm interested to see how it all plays out!

I loved it when Daphne found out that Aunt Dee was "Dear Daphne", and that Daphne has had that connection to her for all these years and she never even knew it! I also love how she keeps composing letters to and answers from "Dear Daphne" in her head!

I didn't really care for the scene when Daphne and Mick first meet. Even though I know Daphne wasn't expecting to see anybody it made me a little uncomfortable that the author had Daphne lounging outside in her nightgown. I guess it was supposed to exaggerate the awkardness of the moment, and it didn't bother me terribly, but it did annoy me a little :)

It's really neat that Olivia took over her sister's flower shop, I love how she delivers the flowers on her pink bike! :)

message 6: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

(Yikes! Sorry for taking so long to reply back. I was watching hockey and it went to triple overtime!)

She did hide it well. :)

Yeah, that was a crazy scene! I was shocked by all of Aunt Dee's secrets.

The stipulations in Aunt Dee's will are really something! Not just naming the cats, but also requiring Daphne to get married in order to keep everything.

That was very funny! Ditto! That is exactly how I felt when she started writing it - that something bad would happen.

I agree. They acted very rude. I can somewhat understand their feelings (especially since they don't know Daphne is really Dee's granddaughter), but their actions were still horrible.

I'm actually leaning towards Ricardo. One reason is because there seems to be a slight "I Love Lucy" theme, but Mick is also high up on my list. You know, I didn't think about that, but you're right - she may not end up with anyone in this book.

I liked that too! Oh, I love the "Dear Daphne" letters and answers Daphne makes up in her head too!

I didn't really care for that either. It didn't seem that realistic (at least to me) that she would undo her robe with just her nightgown on...the neighbors might be able to see her!

I agree!

I don't really know what to think about Karen yet. Part of me wonders whether or now she really cares about Daphne's dad...like Daphne, I'm a little suspicious. What do you think?

I like that Daphne finally decided to have the study painted. I can totally see not wanting to change Aunt Dee's bedroom yet, but I'm glad she's making some changes. It was nice of the painter to keep this project in his schedule.

I thought Mick's story about how he became a gardener was very interesting. What about you?

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments No problem!

Yeah I am a little suspicious of Karen too. But I really hope that she is genuinely interested in Daphne's father, I would hate to see him get hurt.

I liked that she decided to paint the study too. It was cool how she ended up having to go in the study in order to use the fax machine!

I really liked his story too! :)

I felt bad for Daphne when she got the email back from Amelia, I can kind of understand Amelia's perspective but it was still kind of sad that she made Daphne feel completely replaceable.

Gotta go now, I'll comment more later on! :)

message 8: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

That was cool.

I felt bad for her too. All the years she worked for Amelia and then for it to be "no problem" that she's leaving...it's sad.

Okay. :)

I thought it was kind of funny how Olivia said that if Daphne knew of any houses in her neighborhood going for sale, she better let her know about it.

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments Sorry for taking so long to reply! :)

That was funny! Especially when Daphne barely stopped herself from saying that if Olivia could wait a year, then Aunt Dee's house might be available! :)

So, I have been wracking my brain for more things to discuss, and I'm coming up empty! :) Is there anything else you would like to discuss?

message 10: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

I can't think of anything else either. Ready to read the next half?

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments Yep! Looking forward to it! :)

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments Hi Melanie, just wanted to let you know that I finished the book. :)

Please feel free to take your time, I am not in any rush, just give me a holler when you're done and ready to discuss! :D

message 13: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thanks Caitlyn! I hope to have it finished by Wednesday or Thursday.

message 14: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm finished now too.

Well I liked this book a lot. I'm so glad Daphne realized Ryan was after the inheritance and declined his proposal.

You were right and Daphne didn't end up with anyone in this book. I still have a feeling she'll end up with Ricardo, but I guess we'll see. :)

I loved what the pastor said to the singles group! It was kind of humorous how right after his speech, they went right back to flirting.

When Daphne wrote that fake "Dear Daphne" letter, I had a feeling she'd accidentally send it to Jake with the other answers.

I was a little surprised when Daphne's dad told everyone at the "Grab and Go" that Aunt Dee was really his mother. I can see why he did, and it was definitely the right thing to do, but it was still kind of unexpected (at least to me).

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments I really liked it too! Yeah, I completely agree, I liked that she kept changing her mind though, it made it feel realistic to me! I loved the scene when she told Ryan to get lost! :)

Yeah, I think you may be right about that! I can't wait to see what happens next!

I loved that too, and it was kind of funny! :)

Completely agree, I had the same feeling!

That surprised me too! And it was perfect!

It really surprised and pleased me that Martin apologized, I was not expecting him to do that!

I thought Daphne's sticker system for the "Grab And Go" was genius! What an awesome way to settle arguments over who gets what, and it would also make you think about which items you want most!!! :)

I really liked it when Daphne decided to read one of Aunt Dee's books and she realized that despite the cover, the story was much 'cleaner' and more moral than she had expected! I also loved how she realized that what made those books such a hit was that people really cared about the characters and she realized that's what was missing from her Dear Daphne letters. What a great lesson from Aunt Dee!

It surprised me and I thought it was totally cool that Mick had bought Daphne's grandparents farm from Aunt Dee! :)

message 16: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Same here. I did not expect Martin to apologize, but was very pleased when he did. :)

I completely agree! Her sticker system was fantastic!

That's exactly how I felt! It was great how she learned what was missing from her Dear Daphne letters by reading one of Aunt Dee's novels.

That was surprising. I agree - it was cool and I loved how he changed things for the better.

I loved how when guys brought Daphne flowers they each said "Olivia said to put them...".

I wonder if Jake and his ex-wife are going to get back together. Hopefully we'll find out in the next book(s).

I loved how Ricardo's mother asked Daphne about her relationship with Ryan and then said to not tell Ricardo what she had asked/said.

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments I know! That was so fun!

Yeah, I wonder about that too!

I loved that too! She was so sweet, not meddlesome at all!

I love Mattie and Jenna, they are so fun! It was great that Daphne gave them Aunt Dee's old costume jewelry and accessories. Also loved when Daphne talked to Jenna about writing!

I liked it when Ricardo brought his famous Appleton pie to the housewarming party and Daphne said she wanted to eat it for breakfast and he smiled and said he would bring her another one in the morning! However, all the talk about that delicious apple pie had me craving a slice! :)

It was cool how when Daphne returned to New York she related differently to Oliver- the cat, after having spent time with Lucy and Ethel.

message 18: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Agree!

That was great. :) I know what you mean...when books mention sweets, I typically end up craving them. :)

That was cool.

It was interesting how Beverly acted once she heard Daphne's news. I'm glad they talked through her feelings and jealousy didn't get between them.

I was a little frustrated when Beverly wanted Daphne to loan them money...it just seemed a little pushy.

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments That was interesting. I'm glad of that too!

Same here! I know, it felt very pushy and almost like a guilt trip. I was really disappointed in Beverly for doing that!

It really impressed me that, even though this is the first book in the series and the ending did leave a lot of unanswered questions, it was still a strong ending with a lot of closure to this chapter of Daphne's story!

message 20: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

I didn't think about that, but it was a great ending with a lot of closure! Very well done.

I can't think of anything else...what about you?

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments Nope, I can't either! :)

I had a blast buddy reading this with you! :D

message 22: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Me too! I had a lot of fun discussing this book with you. :)

Which book do you want to read next (The Frontiersman's Daughter or A Tailor-Made Bride)?

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments How about A Tailor-Made Bride? :)

message 24: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sounds good. I think halves is chapter 1-17, then 18-the end. I don't know how much reading time I'll have this week, but I'll try to have the first half done by sometime next week. Excited to read another Karen Witemeyer book! :)