Shounen Manga Book Club discussion

Group Reads > Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle Discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments This is where we discuss Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle. We are reading and discussing volumes 1-3. Please remember to hide all spoilers.

Sakura and Syaoran return! But they're not the people you know. Sakura is the princess of Clow - and possessor of a mysterious, misunderstood power that promises to change the world. Syaoran is her childhood friend and leader of the archaeological dig that took his father's life. They reside in an alternate reality...where whatever you least expect can happen - and does. When Sakura ventures to the dig site to declare her love for Syaoran, a puzzling symbol is uncovered - which triggers a remarkable quest. Now Syaoran embarks upon a desperate journey through other worlds - all in the name of saving Sakura.

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments I'm not sure what to think of Tsubasa. In the two volumes I've read, it's managed to use a number of tropes that I dislike. I'm not really a fan of any of Clamp's other works (although I've only tried a few), so the reusing of character makes me feel like I'm missing something. None of the characters have really captured my interest yet (although I do find Fai amusing). Many of the character designs remind me of Code Geass, which I very amusing. I keep expecting Syaoran, who looks like Suzaku, to betray everyone and switch sides over and over again. Or for Fai to whip out a mask and cape that look like Lelouch's. xD

The art is definitely my favorite aspect. It's very pretty, especially the covers and color art I've seen. Some of the designs and scenes are just gorgeous. However, action sequences don't look good. There are so many speed lines and sound effects and small details that overlap. The panels seem too cluttered, and I find it hard to tell what's happening in them.

Overall, I've enjoyed what I've read. I didn't enjoy it enough to commit to reading 30+ volumes, but I do intend to read more.

message 3: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 389 comments Mod
Serene wrote: "I didn't enjoy it enough to commit to reading 30+ volumes, but I do intend to read more."

Well, you're in luck. I'm pretty sure this one's only 28. XD

As for the Code Geass looks, I've never seen Geass, so I can't comment on that, but I do know that CLAMP did the character designs for that anime, so that might be why.

I'm finding that CLAMP is very hit-or-miss. I used to think anything by them was good because I read four of their series or so--turns out, four of their better ones--and am now running into some of their other, less known works that aren't nearly as good--and some of them just plain bad. Tsubasa's one of the good ones, and you aren't missing much by not having read other ones other than the "Hey! That's so-and-so!" factor.

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments Selena wrote: "Well, you're in luck. I'm pretty sure this one's only 28. XD"

I though there were 37 for some reason. xD Thank you for correcting me.

Yeah, they have a very distinct style. It's quite easy to tell their work apart from others.

message 5: by Selena (new)

Serene wrote: "Selena wrote: "Well, you're in luck. I'm pretty sure this one's only 28. XD"

I though there were 37 for some reason. xD Thank you for correcting me.

Yeah, they have a very distinct style. It's q..."

I may be wrong myself. It's been a while since I've read this one... *checks collection* There are 28 volumes in the series, but there are at least 30 books if you count things like the character guides and such.

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments I think it's an unrelated story that reuses some of the same characters. I've never read or watched Cardcaptor Sakura, so I'm not positive.

message 7: by Selena (new)

Khadija wrote: "Is this series the sequel to the Cardcaptor Sakura anime?"

It's not related to CCS. The Sakura and Syaoran we meet are from a parallel universe. This series plays on parallel universes to reuse a bunch of characters.

CCS is directly mentioned in the series Tsubasa is crossed with, xxxHolic, when Yuuko whips out a "toy" CCS wand and says that the real one belongs to a powerful master of magic. I believe it's mentioned in Tsubasa as well.

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments Now that I've read a few more volumes, I must say, I really love that the characters keep changing clothes to match whatever world they travel to. It allows for a lot of different designs, and it's a detail that many other manga forget about.

message 9: by Ash (new)

Ash | 74 comments I am currently reading this series & am on the second volume, & I have to admit I hope it picks up. I loved xxxholic so much & so far this doesn't even begin to compare.

message 10: by Selena (new)

Ash wrote: "I am currently reading this series & am on the second volume, & I have to admit I hope it picks up. I loved xxxholic so much & so far this doesn't even begin to compare."

I'd probably pick xxxHolic as my favorite of the two, too. Tsubasa takes a bit to get moving and for you to really understand the characters, and then later in the series... To this day, I'm still a little confused by the ending. One of these days I should reread this thing.

message 11: by Ash (new)

Ash | 74 comments I am almost completely finished w/Tsubasa. It did definitely pick up, & I like the way a few of xxxholic characters take part in this story as well. I still have to say xxxholic was better.

message 12: by Ash (new)

Ash | 74 comments Finally finished about a week ago. I agree the ending was a bit confusing. It did

message 13: by Ash (new)

Ash | 74 comments Sorry, hit submit too soon. Anyway it didn't make me cry like the ending of xxxholic. I definitely enjoyed it, but I still prefer xxxholic.

message 14: by Ash (new)

Ash | 74 comments Selena, I am afraid the same thing you described about thinking all Clamps's works are, or must be good, yet then you finaly read one, or a few of their other works that, to me personally, were such let-downs. Especially after I finished xxxHolic, I loved it (& still do) so mucgh Ij immediately wanted to.read anything and everything by Clamp I could get my hands on. I have since read quite a few Clamp series, & while none were as good as xxxHolic, a few others were close, then I read a few that I was just like, really? Come on Clamp, you took the easy way out here. Although many of their works are still my favorites, I have now sadly realized not all of them.are works of Art.