Shounen Manga Book Club discussion

Group Reads > Fairy Tail Discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments This is where we discuss Fairy Tail. We are reading and discussing volumes 1-3. Please remember to hide all spoilers.

Cute girl wizard Lucy wants to join the Fairy Tail, a club for the most powerful wizards. But instead, her ambitions land her in the clutches of a gang of unsavory pirates led by a devious magician. Her only hope is Natsu, a strange boy she happens to meet on her travels. Natsu’s not your typical hero–he gets motion sickness, eats like a pig, and his best friend is a talking cat. With friends like this, is Lucy better off with her enemies?

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments I read a large part of Fairy Tail, but I ended up dropping it eventually. I love how creative all of the powers are, and there are a few characters (mainly Erza, Loke, and Levy) that I like. But after awhile, the lack of an overarching plot and the lack of, well, basically anything other that fighting made me drop Fairy Tail. The excessive fanservice doesn't really help my opinion either. I sometimes don't mind fanservice depending on how it's presented, but Fairy Tail just has so many contrived ways to get its female characters into skimpy clothes.

message 3: by Mike (last edited Jun 09, 2013 04:59PM) (new)

Mike | 239 comments Mod
I've only read the first volume. I enjoyed it, and it had some nice touches, but I haven't felt compelled to get/read more.

My review.

message 4: by Ally (new)

Ally I love the anime, in my opinion its much better than the manga, although I like the manga i find it lacking something...I can't quite figure out what it is. Khadija, I watch dub, the voices on the subbed version are just bad :P But do be warned, it takes a little while to get into, but get past the first few episodes and I'm sure you'll love it.
Serene, yes the females wear skimpy clothing sometimes, which is unfortunate, but the males to do. Gray and Natsu walk around shirtless after all, but I do get your point,it does annoy me at times.

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments That's true, Ally. But it's not the fact that they are wearing revealing cloths that annoyed me, it's how they got into those clothes, especially Lucy. Something random would always happen that would rip her cloths in just the right way or that would force her into a new outfit, and it just got annoying after seeing the same thing time after time.

message 6: by Ally (new)

Ally Oh okay, sorry for misunderstanding. That annoyed me so much when I watched it first....it doesn't anymore, guess I got used to it, which isn't really a good thing :/

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments I was the other way around. I didn't mind it the first few times, but it got a little more annoying each time it happened. The fanserive wasn't my biggest problem with Fairy Tail, it was just the straw that broke the camel's back. My biggest problem was the lack of much else besides the fighting. There are so many other manga that have similar fantasy fights that I enjoy more, so there wasn't really much of a reason to keep reading.

message 8: by Glitchieyt (new)

Glitchieyt TTV | 9 comments I think it was quite an interesting series (Still Ongoing) But it seemed to not have an entire plot to it.+