Q&A with Christine Amsden discussion

Cassie Scot Series > Ask Me Anything (Spoiler-Free)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine | 25 comments Mod
Go ahead, ask me anything -- but let's keep this thread spoiler-free for those who haven't read the book.

message 2: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Johnson | 5 comments what was your inspiration behind the Cassie Scot series?

message 3: by Christine (new)

Hi Tanya!

Cassie herself was my inspiration. She came to me in one of those flashes of inspiration that up until that moment, I'd only read about! I think there may actually have been a light bulb flashing above my head. :)

Actually, I was on a writing hiatus. I finished writing The Immortality Virus late in 2008 and was suffering from serious burnout, so I decided to take 2009 off. That lasted until mid-February. (Almost 2 whole months!) I was doing a lot of reading at the time, really thinking about what drew me into a story. And it was character. I knew that when I did come out of my hiatus, I wanted a great character, someone with a unique and sympathetic problem. I seem to recall, shortly before Cassie popped into my mind, thinking of the USA Network tagline, "Characters Welcome." I was also thinking of Harry Dresden.

Little known fact: I wrote my first paragraph that same afternoon. Except there was one tiny difference....

My parents think the longer the name, the more powerful the sorcerer, so they named me Nicolas Merlin Apollonius Roger Scot. You can call me Nick.

It didn't take me long to realize that I didn't want to do first person in a man's head, so Nicolas became Cassie's eldest brother. I wouldn't recommend calling him Nick, though. :)

message 4: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Johnson | 5 comments wow. I think it is always cool to read how an author came up with a story/character. Thanks for sharing!!

message 5: by Beverly (new)

Beverly McClure (beverlysmcclure) | 2 comments I love it when the character introduces her/his self to you. And the things they tell you start the wheels to rolling. That little light bulb in the head is so much fun.

BTW, Cassie is one of my favorite characters. Looking forward to what she's up to in the next story.

message 6: by Christine (new)

Thank you so much, Beverly! I hope you enjoy the rest as much as the first two. :)