Shounen Manga Book Club discussion

Group Reads > InuYasha Discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments This is where we discuss InuYasha. We are reading and discussing volumes 1-3. Please remember to hide all spoilers.

Transported back to Japan's feudal era, high school student Kagome accidentally releases the feral half-demon dog boy Inu-Yasha from his imprisonment for stealing the Jewel of Four Souls.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

InuYasha is the series that got me interested in anime and manga. I watched the anime first then started reading the manga. I've only read the first 4 volumes of the original manga (not the ani-manga) so far, but I hope to read more when I have the time (there are like 60 or 70 some odd volumes, so it'll take me a while).

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 46 comments I watched the first season of this anime a long time ago. It was really good and I always said I would go back and watch the rest and I never got around to it. That was before I started to get into manga. So far I have only read the first three volumes, but I thought the story was wonderful. I can see why it had such a long running. I liked the characters and the story. It seemed very easy to read and I just got lost in the pages. To me, that is how you can tell a great story from a good story. I will be finishing this manga series in the not to distant future, I hope.

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments Hmmm...I think I watched a few episodes of the anime back in middle school. I enjoyed them, though I never made a habit of watching the show. I read the manga because it was a series I was familiar with and my library just happened to have the first volume. It's way more violent than I thought it would be, but I like that. It balances out the relationship stuff. It makes the series appeal to boys and girls, which I appreciate. I absolutely love Rumiko Takahashi's art style. The characters are so round and pretty.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, the art is beautiful. And I do like that the series isn't explicitly shounen or shoujo and that you could argue it could be either or both. It's got action, but it's got romance, and they're well balanced.

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments I love it when things blur the lines of "for boys", "for girls", "for kids" or "for adults". It's nice when everyone can equally enjoy the same thing, even if it's for different reasons.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, though I'd say InuYasha is still not appropriate for younger audiences. It's still fairly violent and does have a few scenes with partial nudity.

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments Oh no. Of course not. I was just saying, in general, it's nice.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

It definitely is. I don't always want something that is so black and white. Often times my favorite books/shows/movies are the ones that aren't gender/age specific, with the exception of romance, of course. I do love romance.

message 10: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments I love myself a romance, too. That's something I think that this manga does well. I find that The Couple That Never Happens is usually pretty annoying, but it doesn't bother me much in Inuyasha. Probably because no one is super dramatic about it. Drama can be so tedious.

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 46 comments I agree. some of my most liked manga series seem to be well balanced and capable of appealing to both boys and girls.

I loved the art work as well. I cannot wait to read more of this series.