Urban Fantasy discussion

The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1)
This topic is about The Blue Blazes
Buddy Reads > Buddy Read- Blue Blazes by Chuck Wendig (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Nikki (last edited Jun 02, 2013 04:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 54 comments ~Read at your own pace or choose a pace

~Post your thoughts, questions, and interesting quotes, etc.

~Could you be so kind as to let us know the page/percent you are at when commenting so we know if we want to read it or not in case someone has not made it there yet?

~Also, to add spoilers tags

< spoiler >Type what you want here< /spoiler >

click on (some html is ok) and it will show you.
Left bracket, type the word spoiler, right bracket, type what you want here, then left bracket, forward slash, type the word spoiler again, then right bracket
No spaces :)

Feel free to join in at any time :)

So far it's just:

Nikki
Darcey
Paula
Sara

Paula (pauldajo) I'd like to join. I'll be on vacation during this period, but since everyone except me goes to bed early I'll be able to read the story.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 54 comments Welcome, Paula :) When would you be able to start?
I'm waiting on a response from Darcey. I can start anytime.

Paula (pauldajo) I'm taking an 18+ hour train ride tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I'll start tomorrow!

message 5: by Ms. Nikki (last edited Jun 01, 2013 04:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 54 comments Sounds good. Have a safe trip :)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments I can start anytime too. Just let me know when.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 54 comments We can begin tomorrow since everyone is available and just read at our own pace and use spoiler tags when necessary.

Can't wait to get started! I love Chuck's style :)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments Sounds good.

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments So I started this one this morning. I can usually read a book in one sitting, but this one won't be that way. I am finding it a slow read. I am not sure if it because it is the first book, so there is a lot of world building in setting things up or the book itself. If I was reading this one on my own it would probably hit my dnf pile.

I will probably read more later today, but need a break from this one.

****Spoilers Chapters 1-5

I am not sure of Mookie. I find him to be weird. Basically he is a mid level thug in a mafia type organization. I don't get his weird obsession with meat. The Blue Powder is starting to make sense, but it seems like there should be more there.

I find Nora to be intriguing. I am not sure if what she is doing is to specifically get back at her father, or if she has other reasons. I guess the more we read the more we will find out.

I found it interesting that the mafia boss's grandson went to Mookie for help. It does seem like a fantasy what he asked.

message 10: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 51 comments I have an addiction to buddy reads so I'm in.

Thoughts/Comments on the Prologue - Chapter 2

Warning, spoilers ahead...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

John Atticus Oakes, Cartographer of the Great Below - a cartographer is a mapmaker if I remember correctly. Did he actually travel to the underworlds or did he research the lore?

The author's description of Mookie makes him very easy to visualize.

Nora has very mixed feelings towards her father.

More thoughts later - I am taking my nieces to see Epic.

message 11: by Darcy (new) - rated it 1 star

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments Sara wrote: "I have an addiction to buddy reads so I'm in.

Thoughts/Comments on the Prologue - Chapter 2

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

John Atticus Oakes, Cartographer of the Great Below - a cartographer is a mapmaker if I remember correctly. Did he actually travel to the underworlds or did he research the lore?

The author's description of Mookie makes him very easy to visualize.

Nora has very mixed feelings towards her father.

More thoughts later - I am taking my nieces to see Epic. ."

Right now they have stated that Oakes did travel to the underworlds, mapped a lot of them, but has been missing for 15 years. At this point (5 chapters in), I assumed he is presumed dead. There may be more later.

message 12: by Darcy (new) - rated it 1 star

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments I read some more and the book isn't picking up for me. I'm interested to see what you all think.

***** Spoilers 6 - 10

I find the 147 1/2 union to be interesting. It seems like it would be something you would be better off not really knowing what was going on. I also find it interesting that Homeland Security guards their workplace.

I had a feeling that Nora's boy toy was going to be who it was. I don't think things are how they look right now. I do think she is taking risks that she may not be able survive. For some reason I sort of found it funny when Mookie had to watch the tape of Nora. You knew that soon it would come out Nora and Mookie's realtionship, it remains to be seen what kind of damage that does to each of them.

Again I am confused with all the meat stuff. We had a whole chapter with Mookie and meat. I find that odd!

I am confused with the Snakeface people. I have a feeling that there will be more there.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 54 comments Chapter 1

No love lost between Mookie and Nora. (view spoiler)

For some reason the description of Mookie made me think of the Toxic Avenger. lol

message 14: by Darcy (new) - rated it 1 star

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments Nikki wrote: "Chapter 1

No love lost between Mookie and Nora. [spoilers removed]"

Understatement of the year. lol

message 15: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 51 comments Thoughts/Comments on Chapters 3 - 13

The gobbo eggs incubating in human bodies section was creepy.

"The Underworld has many names because we have given it many names. The Great Below. The Deep Downstairs. Hell. Hades. Tartarus. Gimkodan. Naraka." I've heard of all the names except for Gimkodan and Naraka - anyone have an idea of where they came from?

Candlefly seems to be controlling the black shadow-cloak things. I wonder if he is behind Casimir's murder? Nora seemed to be of mixed emotions when she came out of that room.

Poor Lulu - caught in the crossfire. She should have stayed home with Karyn.

The pacing of the book increased in chapters 11 - 13. The beginning was a slow build but once Candlefly was introduced the plot has picked up some momentum.

Time for bed but I'll have more thoughts later.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 54 comments Chapter 3 (view spoiler)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 54 comments "My crazy and her crazy work well together."

Missing the funny wit from his other reads.
I hope Mookie gets smart. This big doofus aura he's projecting is not endearing me to his character. Worse still is that everyone thinks he is. Secondary characters can be as dumb as they want.

message 18: by Ms. Nikki (last edited Jun 03, 2013 01:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 54 comments Chapter 11 (view spoiler)

Chapter 12 (view spoiler)

Chapter 15 (view spoiler)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 54 comments Chapter 17 53% Bugs are not my friend and my mind has crazy thoughts about what they can do. The part where (view spoiler) didn't help my imagination any.

message 20: by Darcy (new) - rated it 1 star

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments I hate to do this, but I am throwing in the towel. I have tried twice tonight to start reading more in this book, but only get half a page. This one just isn't for me. I am glad that you guys are enjoying it. I'll be reading everyone's comments to see what you think.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 54 comments I totally understand, Darcy. This is a hit, miss, or middle of the road read.

I finished it this morning and I found myself pushing through. (after I finish this chapter I can go get some breakfast)

Review here so I don't ruin things>www.goodreads.com/review/show/630718858

message 22: by Ms. Nikki (last edited Jun 03, 2013 06:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 54 comments How's it going Paula and Sara?

Naraka -is the Sanskrit word for the underworld; literally, of man. According to Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism and Buddhism, Naraka is a place of torment, or Hell. The word 'Neraka' (corruption of Naraka) has also been absorbed and it is used to describe Hell in Malay language, even though Malay are predominantly Muslim in Malaysia.

Gimkodan- The underworld, in the lore of the Philippine Islands. At the entrance to Gimokodan is the Black River in which souls bathe to eradicate all memories of human life. There is also a huge female with many breasts to succour the spirits of those who died young. In Gimokodan itself, the spirit carries on much as it did on earth, but only durimng the hours of darkness. When daylight returns, each spirit makes a dish from leaves and is turned into a liquid in this dish until darkness returns. Sometimes identified as Gimokodan, Maglawa or Maglawa.

I didn't know, so I had to go educate myself :)

message 23: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 51 comments Thoughts/Comments on Chapters 14 - 19

Warning, Spoilers Ahead...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I didn't think Nora killed Casimir - her reaction in the previous chapter wasn't one of a proud killer.

Nora should go with her first instinct and get out of town.

Mookie and Skelly would make an interesting couple. She seems tough enough to handle him and his career.

I like the excerpts from the journals of Oakes at the beginning of each chapter. I love world building and comparing how the various urban fantasy series are different from each other.

Candlefly is a Naga. I missed that in the previous chapter.

The Underworld appears to be staging an uprising.

Roach-rats are one of the creepiest things I've read about in urban fantasy. That combination is nightmare-inducing.

"And he's a fine lookin' piece of meat. The bee's knees. The cat's paw. That doesn't mean he's a pretty man. He isn't. He's pit bull ugly. Got a face like a fist, a body like a bunch of tractor tires fitted around an oil drum. But those hands. That jaw. He could crush her. Could eat her right up." - Skelly knows what she likes. Maybe Mookie can join Terrible in the ranks of male urban fantasy characters who are horribly ugly but still have female admirers?

"I'm sorry you're dead and that death sucks." - You should always apologize to people you've murdered.

Burnsy's afterlife sucks. I can't imagine being dead and still having to endure the pain of severe burns.

The city of dead - ghosts or zombies or a combination of both?

The cankerpedes are nasty. Is there anything about the gobbos that isn't disgusting? Cankerpedes bursting out of bodies, gobbos' incubating inside bodies...

"We're not worried about Pear. ... Should we be worried about him?" - There's a confident henchman.

"He does not do this "texting" thing." Way to take a stand.

Nora needs to learn to listen to her first instincts not the second ones.

I hope someone rescues Skelly before she suffers any of the possibilities Burnsy listed.

message 24: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 51 comments Nikki,

Thanks for the definitions. I know most of the names for the underworld but I didn't have a clue on those two.

message 25: by Ms. Nikki (last edited Jun 03, 2013 07:01PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 54 comments No Problem. I learned something in the process.

Some Spoilers

~I didn't think Nora killed Casimir - her reaction in the previous chapter wasn't one of a proud killer.

True

~Mookie and Skelly would make an interesting couple. She seems tough enough to handle him and his career.

Maybe in book 2 if there is one :)

~Roach-rats are one of the creepiest things I've read about in urban fantasy. That combination is nightmare-inducing.

Gah! *looking around the floor*

~"I'm sorry you're dead and that death sucks." - You should always apologize to people you've murdered

Deadpan

~The city of dead - ghosts or zombies or a combination of both?

Both- Burnsey feels like he had unfinished business with his family and Casimir was just a ghost.

message 26: by Darcy (new) - rated it 1 star

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments Nikki wrote: "I totally understand, Darcy. This is a hit, miss, or middle of the road read.

I finished it this morning and I found myself pushing through. (after I finish this chapter I can go get some breakfas..."

I liked your poem. :)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 54 comments Thank you, Darcy :)

message 28: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 51 comments Thoughts/Comments on Chapters 20 - The End

Warning, Spoilers Ahead...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

"I want to see the deepest gods, Those Who Eat. I want to stand at the edge of the Maw-Womb." Really? Because that description makes me run in the opposite direction at top speed.

I'm thinking that John Atticus Oakes was ate by the gobbos or the Hungry Gods because he's beginning to sound like he's too stupid to live.

More egg implantation - someone please rescue poor Skelly. She may speak in annoying, horribly outdated lingo but no one deserves that fate.

Never mind, Skelly decided to rescue herself. I hope she can skate faster than gobbos can run.

Poor Skelly - kidnpped by gobbos and she has the anal gland juice from underworld gophers rubbed on her body to heal her wounds. That's what you call a bad day.

I didn't expect Casimir's killer to be who it was - I'm leaving the name out as it's a big spoiler - I wonder if he was possessed before he did the deed? If so, I wonder why his physical appearance didn't see off like the other possession victims did? If not, how did he have the physical strength to do what he did?

"And frankly, I dunno know why'd you wanna go. If this place really is a home to a host of starving and insane subterranean gods, I can't see the value in walking up to their front door and paying them a visit." Unlike Oakes, Burnsy is a man with common sense.

The Vomit Comet - Nice descriptive name for a vehicle.

Mookie is hulking out! Don't make him angry, you wouldn't like him when he's angry.

The Mookie-Monster! Not to be confused with the kinder, more gentle Cookie Monster.

Skelly, Burnsy, and Casimir (sort of) to the rescue!

I like how Nora's transformation tied in with the opening quote from the first chapter of the book.

Final thoughts: The first part of the book was a slow build but it picked up in the second part and continued into the final part. I would give it 3 stars.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 54 comments A dying man may have more strength than you think if he sees salvation~

message 30: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 51 comments Nikki,

I love the poem - it's very creative. I agree with your opinion of Mookie. He wasn't the most interesting character - for me that was Skelly. I think the next book should have Skelly as the lead and Mookie as the supportive love interest/muscle.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 54 comments Thank you, Sara :)

I'd like a part two. Hopefully, we won't need to be to go through the whole introduction again~

Paula (pauldajo) Hi Ladies,

I'm afraid reading Blue Blaze is not going as well as I had hoped. So far the major irritation is the descriptive sentences that contain 'like a ... or as ... as'. There are way too many. That said, I am trying to ignore that part of the story and move on. My train trip was ok until night came and I got no sleep, so I was too tired to read.

Possible Spoilers

I have read up to Mookie's meeting with the big boss. Mookie has contact with his daughter, though I believe there are huge, sad issues between the two. She slightly poisons dear, ole dad. I think to keep him away from the meeting. The girl is definately up to something. I think she wants to control the Blue market which allows humans to see the others. Haven't found out exactly what the substance does. Mookie seems well put upon from many directions. Ok, something that slightly bugs me is Mootie's choice of comfort food. Don't think any of those tasty morsels will ever pass by my lips, certainly wouldn't sexually arouse me. Of course, this is another thing that sets Mookie apart.

More later, I'll read when the rest of the family is snoozing.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 54 comments Mookie loves to eat. Yum.Yum.Yum

Paula (pauldajo) I finally finished the book. I gave the story 3 stars. I liked certain aspects of the story. It was interesting enough to keep me reading. (view spoiler)I guessed a lot that happened in advance of said happening. That doesn't bother me. I liked the ending well enough. Many questions were answered and a few threads left hanging. This allows for a series. I may read a 2nd book of Mookie and the gang.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 54 comments Yeah. Nora took abandonment revenge to a whole other level.

message 36: by Mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark | 71 comments Gave it 3stars, I found the world building more interesting than the storyline, but I will read the series.