Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

Wings of Glass
This topic is about Wings of Glass
Archived Buddy Reads > ❀Dawn and Megan❀ Wings of Glass by Gina Holmes

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Jun 10, 2013 09:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
Dawn and Megan will be buddy reading Wings of Glass by Gina Holmes.

From the best-selling author of Crossing Oceans comes a heartrending yet uplifting story of friendship and redemption. On the cusp of adulthood, eighteen-year-old Penny Carson is swept off her feet by a handsome farmhand with a confident swagger. Though Trent Taylor seems like Prince Charming and offers an escape from her one-stop-sign town, Penny’s happily-ever-after lasts no longer than their breakneck courtship. Before the ink even dries on their marriage certificate, he hits her for the first time. It isn’t the last, yet the bruises that can’t be seen are the most painful of all.

When Trent is injured in a welding accident and his paycheck stops, he has no choice but to finally allow Penny to take a job cleaning houses. Here she meets two women from very different worlds who will teach her to live and laugh again, and lend her their backbones just long enough for her to find her own.

"Gina Holmes’ stunning literary talent glistens like crystal in Wings of Glass. With subtle brilliance, she takes us into the very heart of what makes us hungry to love and be loved. Simply stellar!” Susan Meissner, Author of A Sound Among the Trees.

message 2: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished the first half. Just let me know when you are ready to discuss, no rush though. :)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 1180 comments LOL. I got a little distracted and haven't even started it yet. I'll start it tonight.

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 1180 comments I'm finished with the first half now.

I'm really liking this writing style. And the topic is so hard. In some ways I want Penny to realize that she's being abused and admit that she needs help. But I also understand why she is in denial.

message 5: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm loving the writing style too! I don't think I've ever read a book written like this before, but I hope I will come across more soon.

The topic is very hard! I agree with everything you just said!

As terrible as this is going to sound, I'm hoping that Trent doesn't get his eyesight back. I just think that as soon as he does he'll revert back to his old ways and start being abusive again.

Fatimah is an interesting charter, don't you think? I'm really liking her. It's horrible what she went through...and by the hands of family! After reading about her story, I understood her anger towards her sister's husband!

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 1180 comments I have a feeling that Trent will get his eyesight back. And then go back to abusing Penny. Because he doesn't know how to treat a woman.

I admire Penny for wanting to stop the cycle with her son. I think at some point she's going to leave Trent. But I don't know when and I really hope she does. I have a friend who for a while, had a very rocky time in her marriage. Her husband didn't actually hit her, but did punch a hole in the wall one time. My prayer for my friend was that she'd leave him for the sake of her daughter. But I was willing to accept however God wanted to work it out. Needless to say, God changed her husband.

And yes I agree. Fatimah is very interesting. I really like her. I love how she will speak the truth.

message 7: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 4 stars

While I think it better to try to work things out, if he does begin to abuse her again (physically) I do think she should leave until there is real change in Trent...and that might be never. Some people never will learn and that is so sad, but I'm hoping that in this book God will truly change his heart.

It was cute how Penny got Trent to let her name the baby, though she was taking a huge chance that it wouldn't go her way!

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 1180 comments I thought it was cute how Penny got the name she wanted for the baby. Big chance. But it worked out.

I'd love to see Trent change too. Maybe he will. I hope he does, but my gut is telling me he won't.

message 9: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah, I don't think he will either, but I'm so hoping he will.

Well, I can't think of anything else. You?

message 10: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 1180 comments Not at the moment. So let's go ahead and read the second half (though I'll probably finish it tonight) LOL.

message 11: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Well, this book was SO good! If I had known I'd enjoy it this much I wouldn't have put off reading it for so long!

I was glad that Penny finally got out of there, but couldn't believe she fell for his lies again and went back without him getting any proper help.

I was glad when she planned the intervention, but the moment she agreed to letting him stay overnight and go to treatment center in the morning I just knew it was going to be bad. I just didn't expect it to be that terrible! The way he just snapped like that and try to kill her - horrible! I was glad that Callie Mae left her gun there! I do wonder though if Callie's treatment towards Trent had a little to do with his extreme reaction. This not an excuse by any means, but when someone is known to be abusive I can't believe Callie would antagonize him like that - though I guess in her defense she thought either he was going in for treatment or Penny would be leaving and staying with her, plus she had a lot of pent of regrets concerning her daughter and probably wished she would have said these things to her son-in-law.

message 12: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 1180 comments I know! I've had it on my kindle for AGES!!!!!

I thought that the intervention was a wise decision. It showed that Penny was willing to do whatever she could to help him. As much as I didn't care for the pastor, I thought that having him there was a good thing. And that they actually supported Penny in it. I admire the fact that Penny didn't ask for the divorce. But once the papers came, she was going to sign them. It'd be a no-brainer. I loved her friends. I've never read a book that dealt with abuse to this extent. Penny's as much a victim as an enabler. The cycle of denial,etc was written so well that it makes me wonder if the author had either been a victim herself of worked with battered women.

message 13: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I thought it was very well written too and wondered the same thing about the author.