The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1) The Iron King discussion


84 views
This would make a perfect tv show on the cw,anyone agree?

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michael The cw doesn't have any fantasy shows,as hbo has game of thrones and shannara is also getting the tv treatment,and the cw markets a lot of its tv show for teens so I think this series would make the perfect tv show.


message 2: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie No. It is stupid, the worst book I have ever read. There are much more better written books out there that are not even being considered for a show, and you pick this? It's garbage.


♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle) I liked it, and I think it would make a good show on CW! :D
Team Puck! BTW


message 4: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie No way! It's so stupid. This is the problem now a days, people think trash like this is good, when its not!


Brittney Maggie wrote: "No way! It's so stupid. This is the problem now a days, people think trash like this is good, when its not!"

Excuse me, but people are allowed to like whatever they wish, including this series. And you are not adding to the discussion with your negative statements. Instead of calling it trash, tell us why you dislike it in a civil manner. You're allowed your opinion, but there's no use putting down someone else's because it differs from yours. Just saying.


Melissa (thereaderandthechef) I think these books are fantastic and I would love to see them brought to life on tv! I'm Team Ash btw, a HUGE fan of Ironhorse and Grimalkin too. :D


♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle) Melissa wrote: "I think these books are fantastic and I would love to see them brought to life on tv! I'm Team Ash btw, a HUGE fan of Ironhorse and Grimalkin too. :D"

I love the iron horse, and Ash is cool (pun intended), but Puck is funnier. :)


Melissa (thereaderandthechef) Cookie wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I think these books are fantastic and I would love to see them brought to life on tv! I'm Team Ash btw, a HUGE fan of Ironhorse and Grimalkin too. :D"

I love the iron horse, and As..."


Lol, loved the pun. Yeah, Puck is hilarious, he really knows how to make you choke with laughter! Gotta love The Iron Fey series <3 I remember I was so OBSESSED with it, still am but I'm more controlled now... I think.


♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle) Melissa wrote: "Cookie wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I think these books are fantastic and I would love to see them brought to life on tv! I'm Team Ash btw, a HUGE fan of Ironhorse and Grimalkin too. :D"

I love the iro..."


I still haven't read the last two, but I have them!
You just got me excited again, I think I'll read them soon!


♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle) Brittney wrote: "Maggie wrote: "No way! It's so stupid. This is the problem now a days, people think trash like this is good, when its not!"

Excuse me, but people are allowed to like whatever they wish, including ..."


Aggree! :)


message 11: by Izzy (last edited Jun 12, 2013 01:54AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Izzy Brittney wrote: "Maggie wrote: "No way! It's so stupid. This is the problem now a days, people think trash like this is good, when its not!"

Excuse me, but people are allowed to like whatever they wish, including ..."


To be fair, none of the positive comments have added to the discussion, either. Everyone is crowing that they love it but none of them have said why they like it or why it would make a perfect show.
People are allowed to dislike whatever they want, including this series.


message 12: by Izzy (last edited Jun 12, 2013 01:59PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Izzy Gah! I was writing my comment and then it disappeared. Anyway, I'll give the cliffnotes

I completely disagree that it would make a perfect TV show. Reasons being:

1. What with the costumes, lighting, special effects, sets and locations that they would have to do, it would cost a huge amount of money. And I've not even mentioned the casting! Perhaps a movie would have that kind of budget but unless the TV show would cut corners then financially, I don't think it's going to work.

2. Audience. There is a very small portion of people who are eager to buy and read books about the Fae. For the film and TV industry, there will be less. (I'm trying to find the article but a couple of years ago, Alan Ball (I think), when talking about True Blood, said that Sookie Stackhouse readers who found about TrueBlood actually made up a small part of viewers. It was the TV audience, that had no idea that TrueBlood was based on books, that made up the majority of viewers.)

3. Since the TV audience and book audience are very different, they would have to rewrite it and go off in a different direction. Since the only reason why this thread exists is because you want to see the TV show following the books, would you still want to watch it? They may not even include Meghan and make someone else as a main character etc.
4. Would Julie Kagawa want to have her books made into a TV series? Of course, that's the deciding factor.

As for CW network itself, I don't know much about American networks but I do know that they have Supernatural which is, a) a fantasy show and b) doing quite well. Supernatural has just finished its eighth season. (I have no idea why you decided to pick the CW network if you thought that it didn't have a fantasy show. It would be like getting a weather girl to go to Iraq and report on the state of the country.)

Also, if you take into account that this is chock full of clichés, passive main characters, and very little plot then personally, I don't think it's even worth being created into a show. There's very little wriggle room to allow for sub-plots and so on.
Besides, compared to vampires, werewolves and witches, Faeries just aren't that popular. It's a supply and demand thing.


Arralyn If it were to become a tv show, I wouldn't want it to have a season and then sputter out like for instance "the secret circle" on the CW which closed the show down after one season.
Plus would the tv company have enough to work with in the books or would they start adding a bunch of BS that could possibly ruin the series televised?
Personally I think that if anything, they should do a series of movies.
1. They would be much more well done.
2. Better actors.
3. More excitement builds up when you have to patiently wait until they come out in theaters.


Justine saulnier i would totally love to watch it if the iron series to become a tv show that would be amazing.


Addee I had LABYRINTH (the movie) stuck in my head through all of book 1 anyway, so I feel like I've already seen it. But I must also admit I love Orlando Bloom as an elf (i imagine the fey would look alike LOTR elves) & would be interested to see The Iron King done Lord Of The Ringish, where appropriate. A lot of money would need to be involved to pull it off I think. I would watch it tho...


Manna Kong It doesn't matter at least if they make the graphics good and everyhing is not horribably green screened. I hate it when they turn a perfectly good and amazing book into a movie that was terrible not even accurate to the story, and the characters aren't even looking right. It just totally down-grades the book making it seem like a stupid book, which it's actuallly not.


message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Maggie said:No. It is stupid, the worst book I have ever read. There are much more better written books out there that are not even being considered for a show, and you pick this? It's garbage
Hello, you rude person!
You don't like it, I get it. But if you don't like, why bother to come in here and complain here? You don't like it? Go join people who are like you, don't come in here and tell people who love this book as they should and trash about it. You meanie!
Go, hide while people complain about you. We like it!


Betty Hernandez Love the books but i think movies would be better than the cw since they have a habit of changing the books story example the secret circle loved the books but the show not only ruined it but also confused me a lot.


Sarah If it became a show, I hope that it would not be on CW. I really like the Secret Circle books and I HATED what they did with it for the show. I also like the Vampire Diaries and wasn't too sure about the changes in that book-to-TV show either. I have to agree with Betty, I would much rather see them as movies! :-)


Koral Polidore I think it would be a good TV show on the CW. I LOVE Vampire Diaries and I think The Iron Fey would be just as entertaining! Team Puck!!!!!!


Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe) Would be an awesome movie or show totally.


Never Trust a Duck :] Melissa wrote: "Cookie wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I think these books are fantastic and I would love to see them brought to life on tv! I'm Team Ash btw, a HUGE fan of Ironhorse and Grimalkin too. :D"

I love the iro..."


Lol I'm obsessed too don't worry :) one of my fav series and I wish they made it into a show or movie, but they probably won't because it's not very popular and well known *sadness* :(


Melissa (thereaderandthechef) Never Trust a Duck :] wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Cookie wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I think these books are fantastic and I would love to see them brought to life on tv! I'm Team Ash btw, a HUGE fan of Ironhorse and Grimalkin too. :D"..."

I know :/ I'll just keep on spreading the word out!


onceuponadreamer (nav) Melissa wrote: "Never Trust a Duck :] wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Cookie wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I think these books are fantastic and I would love to see them brought to life on tv! I'm Team Ash btw, a HUGE fan of Ir..."

i would die if this became a show!!


message 25: by Maggie (last edited Jul 01, 2013 07:57AM) (new) - added it

Maggie Brittney wrote: "Maggie wrote: "No way! It's so stupid. This is the problem now a days, people think trash like this is good, when its not!"

Excuse me, but people are allowed to like whatever they wish, including ..."


Tinath wrote: "Maggie said:No. It is stupid, the worst book I have ever read. There are much more better written books out there that are not even being considered for a show, and you pick this? It's garbage
Hell..."


Ok, I'm sorry if I appeared as rude but I was stating my opinion and last I checked @brittney you said that people are allowed to think what they wish, so automatically I'm not? And @tinath I quote you " go hide while people complain about you, we like it!" Ok. So you, a nearly thirty yr old according to your profile say that your going to talk badly about me, a15 year old for stating my opinion? Sorry but I am as much entitled to what I think as much as you are. No offense, but this will never be a movie or a tv show because it will require too much money and people aren't in to fairies at all right now. They're into aliens vampires and werewolves. The most coverage fairies are going to get is in the upcoming mortal instruments movie in August when the characters go to the seelie court. Thats it.
I admit, I liked it at first, but then it started to come off as childish to me. Megan seemed too whiny and passive and I hate girls like that. Kickass heroines are the best kind to me, and she seemed to have the words jumbled. She seemed to whine whine whine about her clothes, her life, and her family.

On an unrelated note, let's talk about satyrs. Yes, I know Greek mythology so I know what they are, but the way Puck explained them to Megan was vile. And I agree with Izzie. They just aren't popular and the show, if it ever is created, which is unlikely, they will make a pilot and than not continue with it. There are too many supernatural things and I agree with Izzie again, it's a supply and demand thing, and they just aren't in demand,
"


message 26: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie Since no one replied, I will consider this argument won.


Brittney Maggie wrote: "Since no one replied, I will consider this argument won."

Really? You posted that yesterday, people here do have lives. Regardless. I never said that you weren't allowed to have your opinion. In fact, if I read my post correctly, I SAID that you ARE allowed your opinion, but you shouldn't put someone else's opinion down because it differs from yours.

When you come onto a thread like this where people actually LIKE this book, and then blatantly call it trash, you're putting down all of the people that like it. I, for one, adored this series, to me, it wasn't trash.

You never gave it a reason for why it wouldn't make a good TV show aside from saying it was a piece of trash story. Next time. Actually tell us WHY you dislike something, and add to civil conversation. Don't come in guns blazing with one worded insults.


message 28: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie Last time I checked I did explain, but none of you really said why you liked it.. how is that adding to the conversation? You all just say why it would make a good tv show, not why you like it. I actually said why I disliked it which technically added more to the conversation than what everyone else is saying. And congratulation for your lives :)


Brittney Maggie wrote: "Last time I checked I did explain, but none of you really said why you liked it.. how is that adding to the conversation? You all just say why it would make a good tv show, not why you like it. I ..."

No. You didn't explain. Not on your first comment. You instead chose to insult the book, therefore coming across as insulting the people who enjoy it as well. Also. Note how I said CIVIL. You started an argument for arguments sake. That is not civil conversation.

This is the last word I have on the matter. Goodbye.


message 30: by Izzy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Izzy Brittney wrote: "Maggie wrote: "Last time I checked I did explain, but none of you really said why you liked it.. how is that adding to the conversation? You all just say why it would make a good tv show, not why ..."

Bitteny, Maggie did imply in her original comment that she thought that the quality of writing was poor. She said, "There are much more better written books out there". Much as you don't like it, she did contribute to the discussion. In fact, more so that some of the early posters.
Stop taking her comments about a book and making it about you. For some reason or another, you're taking her comments as a personal attack.

If she thinks the book is trash then that's fine. You think that's it's a great book and that's fine. Did you really think that by being passive aggressive, you would help the situation? You could have ignored Maggie's comment or asked out of interest as to why she thought that. You wanted an argument and now you've got one. Don't turn around and pretend that you're the victim.

Not trying to get you two to kiss and make up/become friends but you are both acting really silly. If this is how you two act when you talk about a book then I would hate to be in the same room with you two when you talk about religion or politics. People can have different opinions. Accept that. Learn how to start battles that really matter.

Also learn that the outcome of an argument will depend on how you react to something. If you had killed Maggie with kindness, as they say, then you two wouldn't be in such a huff.


message 31: by Izzy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Izzy Maggie wrote: "Brittney wrote: "Maggie wrote: "No way! It's so stupid. This is the problem now a days, people think trash like this is good, when its not!"

Excuse me, but people are allowed to like whatever they..."


Maggie, regarding this, "So you, a nearly thirty yr old according to your profile say that your going to talk badly about me, a15 year old for stating my opinion?"
If you're old enough to willingly go poke a bear with a stick then you're old enough to accept the consequences. Don't pull the, "Oh, but I'm only 15 so everything I do is OK. Because I'm young, there's an excuse for my behaviour."
No. If you're rude to people then they have the right to be rude back. You made the decision to be snarky to other people so you have to accept that you're the trigger that started it all off.
You shouldn't use your age as a get out of jail free card. From what I've seen, Brittney was actually very lenient towards you. From the way you act, other people would feel entitled to chew you up and spit you back out. I don't know whether this is how you normally act but based on this discussion, you need to set yourself straight. If you think that you might be ruffling a few feathers, either delete the comment, take it back and apologise or just stay away from the discussion. You don't always have to feel the need to defend yourself or your opinion.

You're more than capable in holding up against your own so don't pretend otherwise.
I may be wrong but I don't think Brittney or the others who replied to you were bothered about your opinion. They were bothered about the way that you put forth your opinion.


message 32: by Izzy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Izzy Ugh. That sound more self-righteous than what I was going for but oh, well.


message 33: by Nurlely (last edited Jul 03, 2013 02:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nurlely This might be too long, especially for you who do not love the Iron fey series... :)

I love The Iron Fey series. It might be the less-complicated-version of Alice in Wonderland combined with some die-hard teenagers' love story, but I loved reading the series and I thanked Julie Kagawa for giving me another fey series to read (I loved all about fey).

Prince Ash has always been my fave. I loved a bad boy who tried his best for the girl he loved. And Ash is super handsome! I might feel less impressed to see a young man with silver eyes in real life (might think that there must be something wrong with the eyes), but my romance mood was immediately raised and found Ash as captivating as Meghan was feeling (maybe). And as much as I knew (when I was Ash-free fangirling mode)I have read similar characters before, I loved Ash still and wanted to read more about him (the cold, super handsome winter prince)

I loved Meghan character. I consider her as one of my strong female characters. Her only weakness (strength?) was that once she saw Ash, she never looked at the other (even the cute & funny Puck). But I gave her a go for that. I was so in love with Ash, I thought it was ridiculous not to fall for him instantly.

I loved Puck. As annoying as he always was, Puck was loyal and didn't stay wallowing his lost love. He even helped his competitor, his once sworn enemy, for he naturally had a good heart and he understood that he was not the one for his forever love, but the other guy

I loved Grimalkin. He was so wicked and annoying, but he always kept his word and was willing to help. He only appeared to be untouchable. Grimalkin obviously reminded me of Cheshire cat in AiW, but I didn't mind the similarities.

I loved Glitch, Razor& Ironhorse.

Was there anyone I disliked in Iron fey series? I doubt it. I even liked Mab and the jealous Titania.

Did I think the idea I got from Iron fey series a new one? I can't say that. Similarities were inevitable. But when I started reading, I felt that the series was a great read and worth my time.


message 34: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie @izzy
Yes, you are right. I was rude and disrespectful and should have worded my opinions in a more mature way. When I insulted the book, I didn't insult you. I didn't say you were stupid, just the book. For example, I thought twilight was an awful book. It was cliched and the character was too emotional. If I said that twilight was a load of trash and badly written, I am not insulting the fan base , just the book. If I hate cheese, am I insulting those who like it?


message 35: by Nurlely (last edited Jul 03, 2013 07:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nurlely Maggie wrote: "@izzy
Yes, you are right. I was rude and disrespectful and should have worded my opinions in a more mature way. When I insulted the book, I didn't insult you. I didn't say you were stupid, just th..."


Excuse me for interfering. Izzy was trying to set things straight. As much as she doesn't like TMI series, she has no problem with you.
If you care to read her comments, you would see that it was Brittney who had an 'argument' with you. Izzy only mentioned that you would be served the way you served others

Apology to Izzy. I don't mean to answer on your behalf. It just comes along with what I have to write next.

And to be honest. When you say "This is the problem now a days, people think trash like this is good, when its not! You were not only mentioning your dislike of the book, but also consider the fans as 'problem'

You can dislike certain books, but you are aiming the fans when you consider our liking as problem. And Brittney has right to feel 'offended' by such remark.


message 36: by T.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. Hmmm.. well, I am going to avoid said drama and list my opinion as the thread asked. I for one loved this series! Though Meghan took awhile to stop irritating me. Ash, well, I loved him. I liked the imagination and stretch this book had and how the author never seemed worried aboyt what other people would think and included strange things like talking cats and other creatures. However, I do not wish to see it be made into a tv show. Seeing other series made into shows have resulted in the complete lack of relevance to the actual books and morphing and revising the story into something that can last for more than a season. Nine lives of chloe king (did not like the book) was very different from the book that was much worse than the show. And as observing how they resemble the characters, well, Id half expect them to make Ash blond and Puck chinese. I would be alright with a movie but no, not a series.


Nurlely Dear me.... Too consumed in remembering my fangirling mode, I forgot that most important part.

No, I don't think I will love a TV series of the Iron Fey. A movie will be fine, although I will be so furious if the miscast Prince Ash. They did find less handsome, less stunning, less captivating Jace Wayland. I will hate it if they find less handsome Prince Ash, no matter how smart the actor is.

TBH, I am not that excited of having The Iron Fey series as movie project but I give it a second thought if it can help people knowing more of Julie Kagawa's books


Manna Kong Izzy wrote: "Gah! I was writing my comment and then it disappeared. Anyway, I'll give the cliffnotes

I completely disagree that it would make a perfect TV show. Reasons being:

1. What with the costumes, light..."


Thank you for your input. Wow! I did not know that, I just enjoyed this book and thought of it being a tv series, didn't really think it through I guess. Well hopefully in the near future, faeries can become the new big thing, instead of vampires and werewolves, with magic and more of an eco friendly, relatable to the world's situation kind of front.


message 39: by Janie (new) - added it

Janie on one hand it would be intriguing to have it as a television series. it would last longer and it could be well story lined. on the other hand movie would be better because they follow the original story plot and the special effects/graphics would look better. lets face it, if they weren't good the whole thing would suck because Ash throwing ice daggers or Puck tossing balls of fur that erupted into boars would be too much for a tv series budget and I would want it down is it looked flawless and real. btw, what is CW? never heard of the network before.


message 40: by Nurlely (last edited Jul 08, 2013 10:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nurlely Janie wrote: "btw, what is CW? never heard of the network before. "

CW is a tv network that plays Vampire Diaries, Nikita, Beauty & the Beast etc.


back to top