Smashwords Authors discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Wyrd Worlds > Submissions and general discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 181 (181 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (last edited Aug 04, 2013 09:35AM) (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Hello all!

Thank you to those who responded to the idea of a promotional anthology of science-fiction and fantasy (SF/F) short stories. This post will be updated as a plan comes together. What I have so far is:

General
- No particular theme, apart from the genre (SF/F);
- SF/F could include things like steampunk, humour/horror with SF/F overtones, etc.;
- It will includes a mix of new work, previously published stories or novel extracts (if it forms a distinct story).

Submissions
- Submissions by email to Steph at: submissions@wyrdstar.co.uk;
- Submissions to be in MS-Word *.doc or rich-text format (I use Word 2003 for Mac);
- A suggested maximum work count per contributor is 10,000 words (if you have something a bit longer this is negotiable), which also means if an author writes shorter works they can have more than one included (but there's no compulsion to use your full 10,000 words!);
- provisional deadline is 31 July 2013, which gives contributors a couple of months. This will be extended if other contributors agree;
- I'd want to aim for the general SF/F market, so no erotica, bad language, etc.

The ebook will...
- be collated, formatted and edited by Steph at no cost, based upon contributions - also, John has offered to do the cover at no cost;
- have stories ordered by random selection (I'll draw titles out of a hat);
- in draft form, be sent to contributors (in August?) for proof-reading and last-minute changes, etc.;
- include a copyright notice to say that all rights remain with individual authors;
- include an 'about the authors' section so you can plug your other books (see this example);
- be published late August / early September via Smashwords, price free of charge;
- possibly also be released on Amazon once the Smashwords edition is out;
- be publicised jointly by contributors.

If there's anything about the above you want clarifying, or don't agree with, please post a message below.

Author list
The following writers have contributed:

Steph Bennion - 'In the Lap of the Gods' and 'Antimatter Me' (SF), 6,000 words, UK English
Ubiquitous Bubba - 'The Imaginary Invasion' (SF), 11,000 words, US English
Alexandra Butcher - 'Monday Imps' and 'The Blue Phial' (F), 3000 words, UK English
Emma Faragher - 'Necromancer' (F), 10,000 words, UK English
Ross Harrison - 'Kira' (F), 13,000 words, UK English
Josh Karaczewski - 'Separate Wars on the Same Street' (SF), 3000 words, US English
Peter Lean - 'The Guns of Napoleon' (SF), 7000 words, US English
Stan Morris - 'The Qrim Chieftain' (F), 9000 words, US English
Neil Shooter - 'Causality', 3000 words
Barbara G.Tarn - 'Half-Blood' (F), 9000 words, UK English
L.L. Watkin - 'Mesrin Station' (SF), 5000 words, UK English
Gary Weston - 'Explain That to A Martian' (SF), 8000 words, NZ/UK English

Thank you! Steph.

message 2: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) I would like to do this

message 3: by Lex (new)

Lex Allen (lexallenbooks) Ah... found it. I'm okay with all the guidelines, so far. May I also suggest using other contributors as beta readers, either before or after editing?

I don't know how I would handle input from 9 Beta readers, but... perhaps a method whereby one or two volunteer to beta read a particular contributors story?

message 4: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 413 comments I think this looks great, Steph. Thanks for putting this together!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy Parker (amy_parker) | 14 comments That sounds great! Thanks!

message 6: by Barbara (last edited Jun 02, 2013 03:18AM) (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Piero writes under a pseudonym and probably hasn't claimed his GR Author profile! ;)
sorry for being late in this discussion, it kinda fell off my radar. I guess I can contribute one piece - I had in mind to give one of the Star Minds Snippets away for free as a loss leader to the series, so I only have to pick which one. I hope to hear from a couple of betas before the end of June, and then I won't mind someone else going over it (and yeah, I'm fine with everybody else if necessary, since my take on beta-reading is: if one person points at the problem it's her problem, if 2 or more do, it's my problem!)...
And of course I'm available to beta-read in return... Thanks!

message 7: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Stan wrote: "I would like to do this"

Welcome to the show! I've added you and Barbara to the list at the top.

message 8: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Lex wrote: "Ah... found it. I'm okay with all the guidelines, so far. May I also suggest using other contributors as beta readers, either before or after editing?..."

Sounds good. I'll start another topic for writers/beta-readers to meet and greet.

message 9: by Neil (new)

Neil | 43 comments The guidelines sound fine to me :)

message 10: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Seems great:)

message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma Faragher | 146 comments Sounds great. I've stared my story and will hopefully be done in the next week so I should have an edited version to you by the deadline. It's very exciting!

message 12: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (last edited Jun 03, 2013 08:32AM) (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments In haven't and I might not, but I Will try, I am happy to critique if not. I will see what I can do.

message 13: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 413 comments I've started mine as well. I hope to have a beta copy available by the end of this month.

message 14: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 45 comments Hi Steph, I have found the post, it seems! :)
And, yes, Peter Lean is my pen-name..

Just one question: I do not have anything yet on Smashwords, but a number of short stories on Kindle, Kobo, B&N. Does it matter?

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma Faragher | 146 comments 3 and a half thousand words in a day, at least half of them are useful. I never knew I could write so fast. It was only a couple hours work too, this is fun. I might have to write more short stories as I go along. It's great to flesh out the world in a different aspect than the main story line I was working with. Thank you for this opportunity and I really hope that we all get everything done.

message 16: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Piero wrote: "...Just one question: I do not have anything yet on Smashwords, but a number of short stories on Kindle, Kobo, B&N. Does it matter?"

I originally envisaged this as a way of showcasing existing Smashwords writers, but if other contributors agree, there's nothing wrong with this being your Smashwords debut.

message 17: by Peter (last edited Jun 03, 2013 02:54PM) (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 45 comments Thanks,
Well, I have already a couple of short stories, I will send you soon one .. :-) ).

message 18: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Emma wrote: "3 and a half thousand words in a day, at least half of them are useful. I never knew I could write so fast..."

I managed a feeble 500 words or so this evening on silly novella I've somehow become sidetracked into writing. I suppose I'd better think about what to write for my own contribution to this.

message 19: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 413 comments That's funny! I was kicking myself earlier wondering where I was going to get time to do this without delaying my next novel. I started with a simple idea and I've got about 3,400 words as well as a couple of characters I really like

I think I have to bring these characters into my novel at some point. I'm just too happy with them.

message 20: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Steph, is it OK if I advertize it on my blog (mentioning then can participate if they're Smashwords authors on GR and they should join this group)?
And yeah, let's bring Piero to Smashwords - he's scared by the meatgrinder, let's show him it's not that bad! ;)

message 21: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (last edited Jun 04, 2013 02:50PM) (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Barbara wrote: "Steph, is it OK if I advertize it on my blog (mentioning then can participate if they're Smashwords authors on GR and they should join this group)?..."

Sounds okay to me. This could turn out to be a BIG anthology...

EDIT: I've removed the requirement for authors to already have something on Smashwords. Also, Piero is first off the block with a submission!

message 22: by Emma (new)

Emma Faragher | 146 comments Perhaps if it becomes very long a part 1 and a part 2 could be used? Although if its got a working contents page it probably doesn't matter anyway.

message 23: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Emma wrote: "Perhaps if it becomes very long a part 1 and a part 2 could be used? Although if its got a working contents page it probably doesn't matter anyway."

It depends if everyone takes advantage of the full 10,000 words, which I don't think will be the case. It will have a full table of contents and internal navigation links; I'll use the same template I've developed for my own books.

message 24: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 413 comments PIERO! (Shakes fist in the air in a manner reminiscent of Admiral Kirk's "KHAN!" moment...) ;)

I need to get cracking on mine. (Mutters incoherently about a day job...)

message 25: by Neil (new)

Neil | 43 comments Funny, I pictured Seinfeld shaking his fist and saying, "Newman!"
As to the size of the anthology, I don't see it becoming a problem. I agree that many people would not use the whole 10,000 words available. I have a couple of candidates for submission, one is 2500 words, and the other is about just over 6000. I guess, theoretically, I could use both, but even so, I'd still be 1500 words shy of the limit.
I think people are going to have stories that have their own organic length based on the needs of the story.
And Steph seems to have the TOC and internal links covered, even if we do all use all our available words :)

message 26: by Lex (new)

Lex Allen (lexallenbooks) I agree with Neil. Still, there should be a cut-off date for joining the effort, I think. Or, did I miss that someone already mentioned that?

message 27: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 45 comments So i Was the first one! :)) cool...
Anyway my story is around 7000 words so i did not use the full allotment ..

message 28: by Barbara (last edited Jun 05, 2013 06:05AM) (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Lex wrote: "I agree with Neil. Still, there should be a cut-off date for joining the effort, I think. Or, did I miss that someone already mentioned that?"

It's in the first post. Submissions by July 31.
I plan on sending 2 stories (like part 1 and part 2 x-years-later), so if you want to do 2 volumes, I can have one in each - same could go with others who send 2 pieces instead of 1...
I'd have sent mine already, but I'm waiting for a beta-reader to give me her feedback, so I'll send them next week! :) I already know the titles, BTW - Star Minds Snippets "The Heir" and "Lost Son" (since I saw you added Piero's title)! ;)
Thanks, Steph, I'll publicize it more next week on my blog! :D

message 29: by Emma (new)

Emma Faragher | 146 comments Do short stories have mini sections (like chapters) or are they always written in one big chunk?

message 30: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 45 comments It depends on their lenght and on your style ;)

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Emma wrote: "Do short stories have mini sections (like chapters) or are they always written in one big chunk?"

if you have only one scene, it will probably be one big chunk - unless you change character point of view. If it's longer, it might have scene breaks or even mini-chapters... 10K is towards novella length and can have chapters. The most usual with shorter pieces is only scene breaks, though! :)

message 32: by Lex (new)

Lex Allen (lexallenbooks) Barbara wrote: "Lex wrote: "I agree with Neil. Still, there should be a cut-off date for joining the effort, I think. Or, did I miss that someone already mentioned that?"

It's in the first post. Submissions by J..."

I think I misunderstood the intent of this project, at least the initial message. Here's my understanding:
Open for writers in SF Fantasy genre... up to 10 authors at 10K words a piece.
Submissions by the "10" writers to occur NLT 31 July.

I noticed that more than 10 had "signed up". Then came word that the writers could submit more than one story, the two-three-or four to equal approximately 10K.

Then came posting it on a blog and soliciting more writers. In between there was talk of payment, cover work, editing, et al.

Now, it seems, according to Barbara, that anyone can submit stories until July 31. Will some kind of jury be selected to vote on the stories that eventually make it into the anthology; or, am I completely off the page (trust me, that's not an unusual occurrence... lol)

message 33: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 45 comments LOL Lex... I was starting to think the same...
if 100 new writers will come on board... well, I liked more the previous project: 10 writers collection :)

message 34: by Barbara (last edited Jun 05, 2013 09:57AM) (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Piero wrote: "LOL Lex... I was starting to think the same...
if 100 new writers will come on board... well, I liked more the previous project: 10 writers collection :)"

Hey, Piero, you're not even a Smashwords author yet! ;p

And Lex, I missed the "10 writers" part - my bad... :) Won't advertize it if not necessary - until after it comes out. Or we could do 2 volumes if we have 20 writers... First come first served?

message 35: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments The 'ten writers' bit was a number plucked from the air; a minimum I thought was needed to kick off the submissions process. I've said 31 July for the final cut-off date as I was planning on compiling the ebook in August.

Do you want a limit on the number of contributors? Or maybe restrict it to one story each? Publishing more than one volume is an option, but personally I don't see a problem in having a 200,000-word ebook (or bigger!).

message 36: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Barbara wrote: "...Won't advertize it if not necessary - until after it comes out..."

I forgot to add that I don't think there's any need to solicit more contributors at this stage.

message 37: by Neil (new)

Neil | 43 comments Steph, personally I don't want a limit on the number of contributors, because I don't see any problem in the vast e-tome that you are suggesting might come out of this. 200,000 words isn't *that* large... :P
I wouldn't mind if there was a restriction of one story per person, as I am fairly certain I'm only going to offer one, even though it is about 6000 words.
I don't think more than a single volume is necessary, because it's not like this is a physical book that is going to get heavier with each extra page, or each extra author.
I also don't see a problem with soliciting more contributors, provided, Steph, that you are okay with compiling a hundred stories in August? :)

message 38: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) Have you decided on a name for the book? The GoodReaders Book? The Bible Ography? The Holy Toledo Book?

message 39: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 413 comments Steph's "What Was I Thinking?"

message 40: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Ubiquitous wrote: "Steph's "What Was I Thinking?""
I vote for that.

message 41: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Stan wrote: "Have you decided on a name for the book? The GoodReaders Book? The Bible Ography? The Holy Toledo Book?"

Smashing Words Through Space and Time! :)

message 42: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 45 comments Barbara wrote: "Stan wrote: "Have you decided on a name for the book? The GoodReaders Book? The Bible Ography? The Holy Toledo Book?"

Smashing Words Through Space and Time! :)"

Ops... this is too similar to the title of my just published collection of short stories! :))))))
synchronicity? ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Photographs-Jou...

message 43: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Haha

message 44: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Smashers Worlds?

message 45: by Lex (new)

Lex Allen (lexallenbooks) Smashwords All-Stars?
Smashwords Galaxy
The Multiverse Smashwords?

Peripheral Vision is the title of my story... it'd make a good book title, too, don't ya think... lol.. (wink, wink)

message 46: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 413 comments That's probably better than these:

Smashwords Review Stalkers
Steph's Restraining Orders
Egyptian Book of the Formerly Ill, but Feeling Much Better Now

FWIW, my story title is The Imaginary Invasion (not ideal as an Anthology title)

message 47: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Ubiquitous wrote: "Steph's "What Was I Thinking?""

Hmm...

message 48: by Neil (new)

Neil | 43 comments SmashWorlds 2013

message 49: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Neil wrote: "SmashWorlds 2013"

I love that! :D

message 50: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Me too. I like Smashwords Galaxy as well.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.