Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

48 Hours (City of London, #1)
This topic is about 48 Hours
Book Club Selection > June 2103 Group Value Book Read -48 Hours - A City of London Thriller by J. Jackson Bentley

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David Gooch | 3977 comments Mod
48 Hours by J. Jackson Bentley

This is the winner of the group value read and is the first City Of London Thrillers by J Jackson Bentley.

“If you don’t pay me £250,000.00 in the next 48 Hours you will die”. The text on Josh Hammond’s BlackBerry was blunt and chilling. Surely it must be a joke, but when Josh is attacked in broad daylight and people around him start to die he knows that his blackmailer is deadly serious. Can Josh raise the money, can his attractive new bodyguard protect him, who is blackmailing him and why? He has 48 hours to find out. The first novel in the acclaimed City of London Thriller series is a hit which will enthral everyone who knows and loves its London settings.

Ok I've started this and I have to say it has got off to a good start. Keeping me engrossed which is so far so good. Around a quarter through the book but have to say good read so far.

GlenK All done!

This book, a convoluted procedural/thriller with an extremely compelling villain, mostly succeeds with the minor let downs being a rushed ending and an obtrusive romantic element.

There are two additional volumes in the series and I look forward to reading them.

Finished this myself last week.

I don't want to say much yet to give people time to read but I have to admit I thought it was all going to be done and dusted before half way through the book so was mildly surprised how it kept moving along.

I see what Glen says about the romantic bit but I didn't think it was overdone. I did feel he could have built on Josh's boss better and used him more.

Mary (maryschumacher) I finished too, and really enjoyed it. Like you, David, I wondered at the half-way point how the author was going to keep the story going, but he certainly did.

Sarah | 1 comments Loved it and I will certainly be reading more from this author. I didn't feel the romantic aspect was out of place, and added another angle to the storyline. As everybody else mentioned I thought the story was nearly over but it kept twisting and turning.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

48 Hours (other topics)