Beyond Mr. Darcy: Romantic Historical Fiction discussion

Venom (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #1)
This topic is about Venom
Group Reads > October 2013: Venom

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christie (cereale) | 202 comments Mod
Cassandra Caravello is one of Renaissance Venice’s lucky elite: with elegant gowns, sparkling jewels, her own lady’s maid, and a wealthy fiancé, she has everything a girl could desire. Yet ever since her parents’ death, Cassandra has felt trapped, alone in a city of water, where the dark and labyrinthine canals whisper of escape.

When Cass stumbles upon a murdered woman—practically in her own backyard—she’s drawn into a dangerous world of courtesans, killers, and secret societies. Soon, she finds herself falling for Falco, a mysterious artist with a mischievous grin... and a spectacular skill for trouble. Can Cassandra find the murderer, before he finds her? And will she stay true to her fiancé, or succumb to her uncontrollable feelings for Falco?

Beauty, love, romance, and mystery weave together in a stunning novel that’s as seductive and surprising as the city of Venice itself.

Discussion Questions
1. Do you think Venom is a good title for the book? If you could pick another title what would it be?

2. Who do you think is better for Cass: the adventurous artist Falco or the serious, secretive Luca? Why? Who would you choose?

3. What did you think of the mystery? Who did you think was behind the murders? Did you find the killer's identity believable?

1. To me Venom sounds like poison. When I first read the book I though there would be a poison plot and was a little surprised that there was not. I guess Venom could refer to Cristian's hate of his victims. If I could have picked a better title it would have something to do with water or canals since the plot seemed to revolve around the water. Maybe "Acqua" which is Italian for water.

2. It's hard to tell much about Luca in this first book since he only really appears for a few moments at the end. However, knowing what I know about him from the 2nd book in the series I think he is a better fit for Cass, someone to keep her grounded. It will be interesting how things play out in the rest of the books.

3. I truly thought Joseph Dubois was behind the murders. He seemed the most likely candidate. I felt that the real killer seemed to come out of left field and felt that there should have been more hints as to his identity in the book.