Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Pure (Pure, #1)
This topic is about Pure
Archive > Pure - August 10th

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathie (last edited Jun 01, 2013 09:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Anima, Cin & I have decided to buddy read this book :-).
August 10th Everyone is welcomed to join us!

Pure (Pure, #1)

(Sorry the picture is so large; it's the only one available here on Goodreads)

We know you are here, our brothers and sisters . . .
Pressia barely remembers the Detonations or much about life during the Before. In her sleeping cabinet behind the rubble of an old barbershop where she lives with her grandfather, she thinks about what is lost-how the world went from amusement parks, movie theaters, birthday parties, fathers and mothers . . . to ash and dust, scars, permanent burns, and fused, damaged bodies. And now, at an age when everyone is required to turn themselves over to the militia to either be trained as a soldier or, if they are too damaged and weak, to be used as live targets, Pressia can no longer pretend to be small. Pressia is on the run.

Burn a Pure and Breathe the Ash . . .
There are those who escaped the apocalypse unmarked. Pures. They are tucked safely inside the Dome that protects their healthy, superior bodies. Yet Partridge, whose father is one of the most influential men in the Dome, feels isolated and lonely. Different. He thinks about loss-maybe just because his family is broken; his father is emotionally distant; his brother killed himself; and his mother never made it inside their shelter. Or maybe it's his claustrophobia: his feeling that this Dome has become a swaddling of intensely rigid order. So when a slipped phrase suggests his mother might still be alive, Partridge risks his life to leave the Dome to find her.

When Pressia meets Partridge, their worlds shatter all over again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pure is the 1st in the series; Fuse (Pure, #2) by Julianna Baggott is on Cin's A-Z challenge list and she (and maybe us) will be reading Fuse after we finish Pure.

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Cathie, thanks for settin up the thread for this buddy read :)

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 6035 comments Mod
Oh! I was thinking about reading this one. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get to it in August, but if I do I'll jump in.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Yea Kristie; I hope you can read it with us :-) (Make room, make room, huh, will ya, please...ok, I'll stop my whining now, lol)

ElvenRaven | 244 comments Thanks for setting up the thread, Cathie :)
hopefully you'll both like the book and read Fuse with me too :D
I'll leave a comment in the Buddy Reads Requests thread to let others know and see if they want to join us :)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Great Cin, thanks :-).

I'll read Fuse with you if I like Pure...how's that for a commitment, lol!

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I usually cannot put down the second part of the series, so most probably I will read Fuse as well :D

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

I have the buddy read for The Fifth Wave starting on the first and I really want to read The LIght Between Oceans too. If I can squeeze it in with school, I will! lol :)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments The Light Between Oceans is a beautiful read. I loved it :-)

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

It's one of our BOTMs for August and I've been looking forward to it. Everyone seems to have good things to say about it.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Just a reminder that this Pure buddy read will begin in 5 days on August 10th :-)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I heading to this read, I have completed the first stage of a challenge in another group, and now I can start reading books for various buddy reads this month :)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Yay Anima :-)

ElvenRaven | 244 comments Hi girls, have you started it? What do you think so far? :)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I just started it this evening Cin. Still near the beginning at Pressia. The meeting. The meeting room is... She wants to know what's in the foot locker.

Not sure I'm really into it yet. I'm still in the world building early part of it. Maybe I'm jaded but it seems like most dystopia books are the same; what use to be, I'm doomed/chosen/picked and I/we will change the way things are. I'm waiting to see how this is unique.

How about you Cin?

ElvenRaven | 244 comments Well, this is actually a re-read for me, but I'm surprised by how much I've forgotten. I've just started too :) hopefully I'll like it as much as I did the first time.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I think everyone I know who has read it has said it was good, so I'm looking forward to reading on :-)

I'm up to Pressia's birthday now. I like the description of when (view spoiler) Such a simple thing that maybe we would miss if it was only written about like ancient history. Kind of reminded me of how we study history and read about it and wonder what it was like back... Funny to think that we will be remembered like that also. (view spoiler)

message 18: by Rida (new)

Rida Sajid | 195 comments I'll join u cathie as soon as i find a soft copy of it (:

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Cathie, I agree with you, I was pondering over this as well while reading almost every dystopia this year. That is why I've decided to gather some of the most important books on paper, in print, for 'the future', usually books survive at least some of them.

I finished the book yesterday. I had mixed feelings about it. On one hand I was annoyed a little bit that it is again a dystopia and doesn't differ much from other books of the genre, but on the other hand, I was surprised with the honesty of Prissia's feelings, she doesn't seem so 'polished', 'clean-cut', she feels 'for real' in the wide scope, and she goes through a lot of moral struggles. I was also struck by the images of the post-apocalyptic world, they are more vivid than most of the descriptions I've read so far.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Yay Rida; I look forward to your joining in :-)

Anima, I am enjoying Prissia's thoughts about how pre-apocalyptic world must have been like and like you think the images of post-apocalyptic life are described better than in a lot of other books I have read.

message 21: by Cathie (last edited Aug 18, 2013 02:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments So what did you all think of this book?

I think it had a very good contrast to what use to be and what the new world was now, but the level of gore made me so quesy in some parts that I can't say I really enjoyed it.

The ending really surprised me (the epilogue). So emotional and full of hope, as opposed to the rest of the book.

I might read Fuse only because of the ending, but it would have to be in awhile; I need some lighter reads in between.

Dystopia is really not my type of read.

My review and thoughts are here if you want a bit more: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I agree Cathie, this book is definitely one of the creepiest and darkest YA dystopias I've read so far. I also want to read Fuse, but not now, I have it on my Kindle and wait till next month to read it, as I feel overwhelmed by the first part eventhough I finished it few days ago.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I am so glad it wasn't just me Anima. I thought, what am I, a wuss?!! And I told myself yes! I've read a lot of gore, but this one just got to me; so descriptive and cruel.

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I agree, and the philosophy behind it was frightening as well, that it was made on purpose, orchestrated by people who had thought of themselves as superior to others...
I also think that despite my personal attitude toward them, the descriptions of the mutations and fuse creatures are masterpieces, so poignant. I appreciate the writing skills of J. Baggott.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I feel the same way Anima. I might not have liked it but I have to give credit that the SF was truly amazing and extremely creative and Baggott knows how to write descriptive narrative (sometimes too well, lol).

The level of depravity and inhumaness and actions taken to ensure control made my stomach turn but there is no doubt that you, as a reader, were fully immersed in the story and the world, and that is a sign of a very good author.

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments ::like::

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Pure (other topics)
Fuse (other topics)