YA Writers and Readers discussion

Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)
This topic is about Graceling
Group reads/ discussions > Graceling by Kristen Cashore

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Morgan (last edited Jun 01, 2013 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Morgan | 1315 comments Mod
June's book of the month is Graceling by Kristen Cashore, discuss the book here :)!

Little Bee (littlebeesreads) OMG this book is amazing!!! I hope you all enjoy it!!!!! I still have Bitterblue left to read

Yusra (bubblyair) I absolutely agree with Bridgett, this book is so so good! I only started yesterday and am more than halfway through the book. Did you think Po was a somewhat funny name? It made sense after he explained it of course.

message 4: by Morgan (last edited Jun 02, 2013 01:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've really wanted to read this since forever ago. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up from my library soon :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I love that book!! Definitely on of my favourites!!!

Laura Holland (lockets) | 63 comments This is a brilliant book thoroughly enjoyed it!!

Kathy Horsman (kathywithak27) | 1340 comments Mod
Anyone reading it? I just started yesterday and couldn't put it down!

Little Bee (littlebeesreads) When I read it a few months ago, i finished in a day because I couldnt put it down! Same with Fire.

I picked it up at about midnight last night, which was a mistake because I read about 100 pages way to early in the morning!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this forever ago and loved it! It was such an original story and after reading so many YA books with practically the same storyline it was a very needed breathe of fresh air. I have been meaning to read Bitterblue, but I haven't got my hands on a copy yet.

Anyone else find it kinda odd when Katsa and Po first hook up? I was just kinda like...what just happened?

Emily (wickedgoodbooks92) | 18 comments This book is currently in transit to my library! Can't wait to start reading it!

Little Bee (littlebeesreads) I love how this series has strong female characters. it is nice compared to the normal, judging, over emotional females in some books.

Bridgett wrote: "I love how this series has strong female characters. it is nice compared to the normal, judging, over emotional females in some books."

It's funny how I find that most female characters that immediately fall in love annoying but here I wanted to shake her violently and say WAKE UP!

message 15: by Little Bee (last edited Jun 14, 2013 10:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Little Bee (littlebeesreads) lol! Yeah, but, I like watching them grow through the books...it is really nice to see. I know some books I read, the female character will have some "ability" that makes her different and they get so mad when other people flake out for same reasons...Oh it just irks me to no end how some writers make female characters so weak and feeble minded lol. I like how her characters in this series, they go against it, and have all these ideals, and then to watch them change and adjust and grow as the story goes forward

I completely agree. It was so refreshing to have a women that everyone was afraid of and could kick some major ass.

BUT

I wanted her to kinda give in at the end and just be his wife/princess/whatever you want to call her. They are just so perfect together :( and he totally respects that she is the stronger of the two and can take care of herself...even he doesn't want her to HAVE too... :sigh: maybe it'll come. I have the second one already but I'm gathering this isn't a sequel?!?! WTF?!?!? A new set of characters???

Little Bee (littlebeesreads) it will make sense. don't worry...

I'm trusting her here because the first one was so great but I don't like it one bit right now!

Little Bee (littlebeesreads) Fire was my favorite of the two. I haven't read Bitterblue yet

Emily (wickedgoodbooks92) | 18 comments Ok, I am on page 88 of this book. I just read all your comments and I think I am missing something. I'm finding it very boring and hard to keep reading. There are so many names thrown around, it's hard to follow who is who and I can't remember how old some of the characters are supposed to be. I keep reading hoping that it will pick up, but so far it hasn't. Maybe I'm just not the kind of person to enjoy the "medieval" type books.

It was confusing at first for me too. Between the people and all the kingdoms it is a little difficult to figure out what they are talking about. It doesn't just explain to you all the regions and what the systems are it kinda gets there throughout the story. Keep reading, I thoroughly enjoyed it once we really got going.

Cheryl | 3 comments Emily wrote: "Ok, I am on page 88 of this book. I just read all your comments and I think I am missing something. I'm finding it very boring and hard to keep reading. There are so many names thrown around, it's ..."

I read all of the series, and I was not impressed. I am wondering how everyone rated it 5 stars??? :( I gave it a 2.5. I like SOOO many types of genres that it was startling to me and I had to FIGHT to finish this book.

I think I gave it 3.5 rounded up to 4. I mean I got stuck in the middle of the book. And I had periods where I'd wait a few days till finishing it, but I still really liked the book. I haven't managed to read the other two yet.