Great African Reads discussion

Great African Reads: Authors > News of a giveaway

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 8 comments Beth Jenkins – locum doctor, semi-bereaved wife, Welsh expatriate in England - could not pick out Zimbabwe on a map of Africa if you asked her. But that’s about to change. She’ll soon be a heroine of the third Chimurenga (revolutionary war) and a guest of honour at the President’s table. And she’ll soon wish she was back in Wales …

My second novel, Fortunate, follows the story of Beth as she gate-crashes a country where land is the spiritual nexus.

Fortunate is out in July and I have 16 copies to give away on Goodreads, closing date is the 22nd June.

I have recently discovered the African Reads forum and so this is a brief hello. My family were three generations in East Africa and my first novel, The Ghosts of Eden, was set in Uganda. It won the Waverton Good Read Award and was shortlisted for the International Rubery Book Award. I have also worked in Zimbabwe and am married to an Irish Matabeleland Zimbabwean.

It’s good to see Zimbabwean writers on the forum - there is stunning contemporary writing coming out of Zimbabwe.

Finally, I’ve posted a short story on my website at www.andrewjhsharp.co.uk which is based on a legend set in Lobengula’s time in 19th Century southern Africa and I wonder if any Zimbabweans have heard of the original legend. Do let me know if you have, as all I could find on it were two lines in a disintegrating book written in the 1930s.

message 2: by Marion (new)

Marion | 2 comments Andrew wrote: "Beth Jenkins – locum doctor, semi-bereaved wife, Welsh expatriate in England - could not pick out Zimbabwe on a map of Africa if you asked her. But that’s about to change. She’ll soon be a heroine ..."

Hi Andrew,

Congratulations!I have your latest book on order and can't wait! You have such a rich African heritage on which to draw.

My book-"Livingstone's Hospital-the Story of Chitambo" has had a bit of a rewrite after feedback and new developments at Chitambo. It's back with the publisher and should be available soon. I am enjoying Great African Reads too, being a Zambian by birth, of Scottish parents and grandparents who spent their (medical and nursing) working lives in Malawi and Zambia.

Best wishes for all your future writing,
Marion

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 8 comments Thanks Marion,
I very much enjoyed reading your book last year especially as I was about to set off to work in Zambia. It's good to hear that the updated one is due out soon and I look forward to reading it and being transported back to Zambia again.
Andrew

message 4: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Marieke | 2838 comments Mod
Hi Andrew and Marion! It's great to see you here and I'm glad you found the Authors thread, Andrew. Please don't hesitate to introduce yourselves in the Introduction thread and link back here. Let me know if you need any help finding anything.

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 8 comments Hi Marieke, thanks. Will do.

message 6: by Taona (new)

Taona Dumisani (goodreadscomchiveneko) | 4 comments Hello All,

This is to announce that throughout the month of July, I am giving away free e-book copies of my novel, The Hangman's Replacement: Sprout of Disruption. The story is based on Zimbabwe's recent efforts to find a new hangman after the last one retired in 2004.

The book can be downloaded from a platform called Gumroad at:

Mobi (Kindle): http://gum.co/SfNH/FRee399

Epub (All other e-readers): http://gum.co/FullDiscout/Free399

If anyone has problems with the files, please send an email to author@chiveneko.com and I will take care of it.

For the book reviews on GR, please visit:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

Thank you,

Taona Dumisani Chiveneko

The Hangman's Replacement: Sprout of Disruption