Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy > Psychic Powers/Abilities in PNR

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 9732 comments Mod
What are some good PNRs with characters who have psychic/telekinetic abilities? For this I am not counting vampires or other supernatural creatures (whose psychic abilities are secondary). Just books where otherwise human characters have enhanced psychic abilities.

On the top of my list are the fantastic GhostWalker books by Christine Feehan. These are enhanced women and military soldiers who were experimented on by a mad scientist.

Shadow Game (GhostWalkers, #1) by Christine Feehan Mind Game (GhostWalkers, #2) by Christine Feehan Night Game (GhostWalkers, #3) by Christine Feehan Conspiracy Game (GhostWalkers, #4) by Christine Feehan Deadly Game (GhostWalkers, #5) by Christine Feehan Predatory Game (GhostWalkers, #6) by Christine Feehan Murder Game (GhostWalkers, #7) by Christine Feehan Street Game (GhostWalkers, #8) by Christine Feehan Ruthless Game (GhostWalkers, #9) by Christine Feehan Samurai Game (Ghostwalkers #10) by Christine Feehan

I would also consider the Sentinels series in with this theme. They aren't any specific race, other than being from another dimension and having enhanced psychic powers that manifest in various ways, although there are some vampires in this series too.

Burning Alive (Sentinel Wars, #1) by Shannon K. Butcher Running Scared (Sentinel Wars, #3) by Shannon K. Butcher Living Nightmare (Sentinel Wars, #4) by Shannon K. Butcher Finding the Lost (Sentinel Wars, #2) by Shannon K. Butcher Blood Hunt (Sentinel Wars, #5) by Shannon K. Butcher Dying Wish (Sentinel Wars, #6) by Shannon K. Butcher On the Hunt (Includes Sentinel Wars #3.5, Nightkeepers #5.5, Gods of Midnight, #4.5) by Gena Showalter Falling Blind (Sentinel Wars, #7) by Shannon K. Butcher Bound by Vengeance (Sentinel Wars, #5.5) by Shannon K. Butcher

message 2: by Alisa (last edited Jun 01, 2013 08:35PM) (new)

Alisa How about Sidney Croft's ACRO series? I've only read the first two but they are special team that is mixed w/psychics, people who can talk to animals, people who can control the weather w/their moods & thoughts, etc.

Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1) by Sydney Croft Unleashing the Storm (ACRO, #2) by Sydney Croft Seduced by the Storm (ACRO, #3) by Sydney Croft Taming the Fire (ACRO, #4) by Sydney Croft Tempting the Fire (ACRO, #5) by Sydney Croft Taken by Fire (ACRO, #6) by Sydney Croft

message 3: by Kryptonite (new)

Kryptonite (sg34) | 406 comments What about the series by Christina Dodd:
Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1) by Christina Dodd Touch of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #2) by Christina Dodd Into The Shadow (Darkness Chosen, #3) by Christina Dodd Into the Flame (Darkness Chosen, #4) by Christina Dodd

message 4: by Kryptonite (new)

Kryptonite (sg34) | 406 comments Oh and Feehan's Drake Sisters series

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Kryptonite wrote: "What about the series by Christina Dodd:
Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1) by Christina Dodd Touch of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #2) by Christina Dodd Into The Shadow (Darkness Chosen, #3) by Christina Dodd Into the Flame (Darkness Chosen, #4) by Christina Dodd"

I love this series, but I would consider them shapeshifters, although admittedly b/c of a Satanic curse.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Kryptonite wrote: "Oh and Feehan's Drake Sisters series"

That's true. Their psychic powers are due to their witchy heritage, but it's a huge part of the story.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Alisa wrote: "How about Sidney Croft's ACRO series? I've only read the first two but they are special team that is mixed w/psychics, people who can talk to animals, people who can control the weather w/their mo..."

I have this on my list to read at some point.

message 8: by Kryptonite (new)

Kryptonite (sg34) | 406 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Alisa wrote: "How about Sidney Croft's ACRO series? I've only read the first two but they are special team that is mixed w/psychics, people who can talk to animals, people who can control the weat..."

I started with book 1 of this series and just didn't like either characters from the start. Didn't get far into the book.

message 9: by Kryptonite (last edited Jun 03, 2013 03:57PM) (new)

Kryptonite (sg34) | 406 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Kryptonite wrote: "What about the series by Christina Dodd:
Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1) by Christina Dodd Touch of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #2) by Christina Dodd Into The Shadow (Darkness Chosen, #3) by Christina Dodd Into the Flame (Darkness Chosen, #4) by Christina Dodd..."

I actually don't recall the characters being shape shifters :P
I've only read book 1. Been meaning to read the next one but just haven't gotten around to it.

Awilk -never sleeps-  (awilk) | 98 comments In my opinion the first book in the ACRO series is the weakest. I enjoyed the following books much more.

message 11: by Kryptonite (last edited Jun 03, 2013 03:58PM) (new)

Kryptonite (sg34) | 406 comments Awilk -will work for books- wrote: "In my opinion the first book in the ACRO series is the weakest. I enjoyed the following books much more."

Hmm... maybe I'll skip book 1 and try another one then.

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Jun 03, 2013 04:42PM) (new)

@Kryptonite, The Wilders all have the ability to turn into animals.

Two of them are big cat shifters, one is a wolf shifter, and one turns into a falcon.

I thought it was a good series.

message 13: by Christi (new)

Christi | 4 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "@Kryptonite, The Wilders all have the ability to turn into animals.

Two of them are big cat shifters, one is a wolf shifter, and one turns into a falcon.

I thought it was a good series."

Me too. The first was my favorite but they were all good.

message 14: by Alisa (new)

Alisa I never thought in a million years these words would come out of my mouth but I feel like there may be too much sex in the ACRO series. It over shadowed the plots in the first two books IMO. I still liked them but not anywhere near as much as I did Ione's other work.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

That's why I've put off reading the ACRO series. I can definitely OD on sex in a book.

message 16: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 242 comments Okay I get to pimp my favorite underrated series! Long ago these humans flee earth because they are outcasts because of their powers and find Celta where their powers evolve. I heart this series. It has a great world, interesting powers, emotionally complex characters, and talking cats!

Heart Mate (Celta's Heartmates, #1) by Robin D. Owens Heart Duel (Celta's Heartmates, #3) by Robin D. Owens Heart Thief (Celta's Heartmates, #2) by Robin D. Owens Heart Quest (Celta's Heartmates, #5) by Robin D. Owens Heart Dance (Celta's Heartmates, #6) by Robin D. Owens Heart Choice (Celta's Heartmates, #4) by Robin D. Owens Heart Fate (Celta's Heartmates, #7) by Robin D. Owens Heart Change (Celta's Heartmates, #8) by Robin D. Owens Heart Search (Celta's Heartmates, #10) by Robin D. Owens Heart Journey (Celta's Heartmates, #9) by Robin D. Owens Hearts and Swords Four Original Stories of Celta by Robin D. Owens Heart Secret (Celta's Heartmates, #11) by Robin D. Owens

For short fun reads I recommend the books of Viola Grace. These leads basically become superheros/protectors because of their various gifts. The books build on each other and are really rewarding as a whole. Not all are great but some are and all most are good!

Arena Station (Champions of Terra, #1) by Viola Grace Haldis Imperium (Champions of Terra, #5) by Viola Grace Engage by Viola Grace

Born To Darkness (Fighting Destiny, #1) by Suzanne Brockmann New Series.

Caressed By Ice (Psy-Changeling, #3) by Nalini Singh Race of the gifted

Dark Light (Harmony, #5) by Jayne Castle A gifted people.

This is a fun series
Steele (Sterling Files, #1) by Sherri L. King

Now, just a lone little psychic on her/his own is a different matter. :)

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Oh that's right, the Psy are definitely good for this theme. I love the Psy, by the way.

I plan to start the Heart Mate books sometimes.

message 18: by Kryptonite (last edited Jun 05, 2013 03:27PM) (new)

Kryptonite (sg34) | 406 comments Heart Mate's has been on my TBR list for a while.

Just remember another series... I've only read the first 2 books:
Karma Girl (Bigtime, #1) by Jennifer Estep Hot Mama (Bigtime, #2) by Jennifer Estep Jinx (Bigtime, #3) by Jennifer Estep Nightingale (Bigtime, #4) by Jennifer Estep by Jennifer Estep

message 19: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments I'm not sure if these series would count by Shiloh Walker has one, but it seems more mystery, but has psychic powers. They are The Missing (The FBI Psychics #1) by Shiloh Walker The Departed (FBI Psychics, #2) by Shiloh Walker The Reunited (FBI Psychics, #3) by Shiloh Walker The Protected (FBI Psychics # 4) by Shiloh Walker

Also Kay Hooper has a series with psychics, but again they are more mystery. There are tons of books in the series (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit), the first one is Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #1) by Kay Hooper

message 20: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 242 comments My love for Heart Mates is unbound lol. I have reread the whole series at least 8 times. I reread the whole thing each time a new book comes out.

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Kryptonite wrote: "What about the series by Christina Dodd:
Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1) by Christina Dodd Touch of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #2) by Christina Dodd Into The Shadow (Darkness Chosen, #3) by Christina Dodd Into the Flame (Darkness Chosen, #4) by Christina Dodd"

This was my first PNR series and it got me hooked!

message 22: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Lauren wrote: "Kryptonite wrote: "What about the series by Christina Dodd:
Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1) by Christina Dodd Touch of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #2) by Christina Dodd Into The Shadow (Darkness Chosen, #3) by Christina Dodd [bookcover:Into the Flame|2..."

It doesn't seem very popular, but I really enjoyed it. A different kind of idea, and the heroes are hot!

message 23: by Rachel Annie (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) I'm glad I checked out this thread, I'd never heard of Dodd's Darkness Chosen series. Added the first one to my TBR shelf! ☺

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Enjoy!

message 25: by Lauren (last edited Jun 14, 2013 09:07AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) The first book, Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1) by Christina Dodd , also had an office romance, which is one of my favorite themes. An all round win-win situation!

The spin-off series isn't as good though.

message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I agree, Lauren.

message 27: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Witika | 21 comments I really like the Arcane Society series by Jayne Ann Krentz. Ive only read 3 of them and out of order as well (#2,3,5) They are populated with real people: no one is described as if they are perfect with unachievable physical attributes or virgins or TSTL. Just people who happen to be a bit flawed (or a lot) and they also have different psychic abilities which may have to do with mind control, human lie detector, clairaudient, manipulation through sound (killer soprano, anyone?) and Im sure there are heaps of other cool skills in the other books. Some are obviously on the good guys team, Arcane Society and some are the villains, rogues called Nightshade after a drug they take to jack up their psy abilities. Have a squiz, you might like them.

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) The Arcane Society books have been hit and miss for me. The first ones were pretty good but the last two books in the Dreamlight Trilogy were carbon copies of the first and I'm starting to get tired of the repetitive storylines.