Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > July Government Assassins Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Jun 03, 2013 05:12PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 4810 comments Mod
Our group read theme for July is Government Assassins.

Please make one nomination per person by posting the link to the book title (click on 'add book/author'). The book should contain some degree of action/adventure content.

Books that have already been selected for the monthly read are not eligible. You can find a list here (and other general group read information):

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

The poll will go up on June 8th.

Reminder:

Books need to be readily available: as an ebook or can be bought as a new book online or in a bookstore.

message 2: by Rizwan (last edited Jun 01, 2013 12:35PM) (new)

Rizwan Khalil I'll start by nominating the first book of a currently hot series that I hope we all would like to read (those who didn't read it already, that is):

The Innocent by David Baldacci

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 818 comments I'll nominate The 4 Phase Man by Richard Steinberg.

...Relics of the Cold War, four-phase men are CIA legends. Experts in all four of the most critical, most specialized areas of black operations--intelligence gathering, counterintelligence, electronic warfare, and assassination--four-phase men are capable of carrying out the most complicated, dangerous, and deadly missions alone. And since the earliest stages of the O.S.S., there have been only seven of this special breed. Today, just two remain alive--Colin Meadows and Gerald Goldman. Trained from youth to do America's dirty work, Meadows and Goldman never came in from the cold and are now outsiders looking in. Meadows is a play-for-pay operative for the People's Republic of China, and Goldman is in self-imposed exile.

Now, after twenty-five years of careful planning and masterful intelligence theft, the Chinese have seized the opportunity to awaken a sleeper spy in the United States. With Meadows ringleading the mole's path to the White House, Goldman is the only man capable of derailing a brilliant stratagem for a silent coup.

Chock-full of high-tech espionage and driven by a blistering cat-and-mouse narrative, The 4 Phase Man may leave readers double-checking the morning newspaper to separate fact from fiction.

message 4: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1996 comments Mod
I will nominate a book that I haven't read, but sounds intriguing.
The Ninth Orphan

message 5: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I'll nominate One Rough Man

message 6: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (cemartin2) | 58 comments How about The End of the World, by Warren Murphy? No. 150 in the long-running Destroyer series.

The End of the World (The Destroyer, #150) by Warren Murphy

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 818 comments C.E. wrote: "How about The End of the World, by Warren Murphy? No. 150 in the long-running Destroyer series. The End of the World (The Destroyer, #150) by Warren Murphy"

That's one of the few I haven't read. I pretty much quit around 100 or so. I think #3, Chinese Puzzle, is my favorite.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Jun 03, 2013 05:54PM) (new)

C.E. wrote: "How about The End of the World, by Warren Murphy? No. 150 in the long-running Destroyer series.

The End of the World (The Destroyer, #150) by Warren Murphy"

Is this a fairly self-contained book? The rules are that a book can only be nominated from a series if it is self-contained and doesn't rely on continuity or it's the first in the series.

message 9: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

message 10: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (cemartin2) | 58 comments All the Destroyers explain the setup and are supposed to be self contained. They do not ave to be read in order or even at all. I've missed about thirty here and there over the life of the series.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 818 comments C.E. wrote: "All the Destroyers explain the setup and are supposed to be self contained. They do not ave to be read in order or even at all...."

I agree - no worries about picking up the story line at all. They're fun, humorous books & used to have a great political bite back when Sapir was alive. He was a political columnist. He died before #70 though, I believe. They were never quite the same after that. He tempered Murphy's humor & added a wonderful dash of current political satire. The older ones probably wouldn't mean much to the younger folks today since they wouldn't get some of the jokes.

message 12: by David (new)

David Dalton | 152 comments Lisa wrote: "I will nominate a book that I haven't read, but sounds intriguing.
The Ninth Orphan"

Lisa: I read this book and slammed it in a review. Check out my review on Amazon. I thought it was very simple and not much really happended. To each their own, but I deleted the 2nd book in this series (I had it in my Kindle)......

message 13: by David (new)

David Dalton | 152 comments I'll go with either One Rough Man or The Innocent. The first one I could pick up from a digital library and the 2nd one I would have to buy.

message 14: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1996 comments Mod
David wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I will nominate a book that I haven't read, but sounds intriguing.
The Ninth Orphan"

Lisa: I read this book and slammed it in a review. Check out my review on Amazon. I though..."

Good to know David...Thanks for your input!

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

C.E. wrote: "All the Destroyers explain the setup and are supposed to be self contained. They do not ave to be read in order or even at all. I've missed about thirty here and there over the life of the series."

Okay, that sounds good. Thanks!

message 16: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Sorry the poll is late! The weekend got away from me.

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/85486

It closes on the 16th.

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The Innocent is the winner of the July poll. The discussion will begin on July 1st. Thanks to everyone who nominated and voted!