Goodreads All Sorts discussion

The Night Circus
This topic is about The Night Circus
Archives > THE NIGHT CIRCUS

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition From the info I got from Amazon, this is Erin Morgenstern's first book - should have my copy by next week...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I read the synopsis and some reviews of this book. I've been debating about reading this one. I've come to the conclusion that I don't think it's a book I would enjoy so I'm going to pass on it.

Steven (steven91) This book was amazing and it's definitely on my reread list. I highly recommend it!

Alondra Miller @Elizabeth; It is not the best literary work out there, granted; but it is so wonderfully vivid and imaginative, that it deserves some kudos. It reminded me that we can still fantasize and be dreamers, why let it go because we are adults. Just so fantastical. The characters were so minor in comparison to the Circus itself, but that is okay... loved it anyway. I hope you change your mind, if not...s'okay. :D

Pink I've ordered a copy, it was only £3.86 on Amazon, so figured it's worth a try.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Elizabeth wrote: "I read the synopsis and some reviews of this book. I've been debating about reading this one. I've come to the conclusion that I don't think it's a book I would enjoy so I'm going to pass on it."

I know what you mean - I didn't want to buy it, so I ordered it from the local library. I figured, as moderator of the Monthly Group Reads, I should at least attempt to read it.

Annie (louize48) | 291 comments Oddly, I picked this book up when it was 1st released in paperback. Since then, it's sat on my bookshelf. Often when I need a new read, inevitably I'll scan my TBR bookshelf, SEE this book & think, *hmm...* maybe next time 'round!
I do this because, (shhh, deep down I'm thinking, I am NOT going to like this book one bit!) Has anyone else ever had this unexplained feeling?
However, NOW must be a sign, the time has come to FIND OUT!
I've taken it off the shelf, opened it, read the prologue...and I've decided!
I owe the book AT LEAST my 50 page rule. If by page fifty I am truly underwhelmed, uninvolved and/or would rather be reading the phone book, I will I transfer this book to outgoing!

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Let me know if you like it after the first 50 pages, Annie. That is my rule of thumb, too.

message 9: by Pamela (last edited Jun 02, 2013 11:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pamela Annie wrote: "Oddly, I picked this book up when it was 1st released in paperback. Since then, it's sat on my bookshelf. Often when I need a new read, inevitably I'll scan my TBR bookshelf, SEE this book & think,..."

I buy books that I have wanted to read for years, but then, I decide I am not yet in the mood to read them. It's embarrassing when I have had the books for a couple of years and haven't reached the mood.

message 10: by Annie (new) - rated it 1 star

Annie (louize48) | 291 comments For SURE one of the reasons it will happen! Mood is a huge factor in what we decide to read. Isn't it?

message 11: by Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition (last edited Jun 07, 2013 12:17PM) (new)

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I find my opinion of a book is completely different if I read it when I am really in the mood for whatever genre it is. I am able to overlook things that would otherwise annoy me. If I am really the mood for a thriller or supernatural horror, I can suspend my disbelief on how something "just happens" to move the story along.

BattyKat (prosserkat) I loved this book. I don't remember what sparked my interest about it, but I loved it. I loved the imagery. Not your typical circus, that's for sure!!

message 13: by Annie (new) - rated it 1 star

Annie (louize48) | 291 comments Terry wrote: "Let me know if you like it after the first 50 pages, Annie. That is my rule of thumb, too."

Well...the good news?
I'm over 100 pgs in. The plot so far IS holding my interest.
The not so great news?
I'm kinda lukewarm about whole the book in general.

Still waiting to be swept away by some aspect... Wish I could be more helpful! :)

Steven (steven91) I was the same way. It gets so much better as you progress into the middle and latter half of the book.

message 15: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri (ezBrizy) | 185 comments I'm feeling the same way. Good to know I'm not alone. I almost passed on this one but it's kept me interested thus far. Like Annie, I'm still waiting to be totally drawn in.

Hedvig | 13 comments I got this novel for Christmas from my sister in a lovely large pocket - so beautiful! I read it and loved it.

message 17: by April (new) - added it

April (AJoyS) I like the idea of reading 50 pages of book to give it a chance and then giving if it not drawing you in. I almost always have to finish a book even if it not really interesting me. There are a few books I haven't finished and I find that this happens more now that I am on goodreads. I think because I have over 300 books on tbr list, so why waste time on book that I'm not enjoying!

Lyndsey Wilson | 13 comments I JUST finished the book yesterday and I thought it was well written! very good story

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I'm sorry, but I don't see the point of this book. I am a little over 100 pages in and I feel pity for the boy and girl, but I feel I don't really know any of the characters. I also am slightly annoyed the way the author keeps writing in present tense in the third person.

message 20: by Annie (new) - rated it 1 star

Annie (louize48) | 291 comments Terry wrote: "I'm sorry, but I don't see the point of this book. I am a little over 100 pages in and I feel pity for the boy and girl, but I feel I don't really know any of the characters. I also am slightly a..."

Hey Terr, I keep slogging thru having that exact same feeling! Like, who is anyone in this book? How do I connect with them, where is their dimensionality? The plot is there but not the characters...

message 22: by Annie (new) - rated it 1 star

Annie (louize48) | 291 comments April wrote: "I like the idea of reading 50 pages of book to give it a chance and then giving if it not drawing you in. I almost always have to finish a book even if it not really interesting me.

Hey April, 300 books is about what I avg as well on my TBR list. I do a good bit of research before I buy a book, being there just isn't (a-hem) much room for them to STAY.
But, nothing is cast in stone, I've felt if I just went a bit farther, a book would open up to me, and it did! Conversely, when I read Swamplandia, I REALLY WANTED to LOVE that book! I kept pushing myself a few more pages, just a few more, and ended up quitting smack in the middle only to read in several reviews that this was common! If the reader can push past the dull point in the middle...
IMHO, bottom line, go with your instinct, push yourself a bit also, but if the book pushes back, give it up! Also, you can always pick it up and try again another time!

Steven (steven91) I remember it took me a relatively long time to get hooked, but once I did it was worth the wait. I can't give you an exact page or even an approximation because I read the book last year. Also, I remember the reviews basically placed people into two categories, those who loved it and those who hated it. So, it could just be that this book doesn't appeal to you.

BattyKat (prosserkat) I need to start doing that 50 page thing. Or even 100 pages. I recently spent FAR too long trying to slog thru 1984. I was bored most of time I was reading it. Finally, at 60% thru, I scrapped it. Every time I picked it up, something in it would make me mad. Not enjoyable. Atlas Shrugged will be the same way, sadly.

As for Night Circus, like I've already said, something about it I loved. It wasn't the easiest book to get thru, but my overall feeling when I completed it was a good one.

message 25: by Bri (last edited Jun 18, 2013 12:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri (ezBrizy) | 185 comments I may be in the minority here but I really started to like this book! I wasn't completely drawn at first but now I'm all in. I'm early into Part III, right now.

Kelly Yeager (goodreadscomkelly_yeager) | 6 comments This book was magical! It took me awhile to get all the characters unique personalities straight. Once doing so, I was memorized! Excellent read and will read again!

message 27: by Annie (new) - rated it 1 star

Annie (louize48) | 291 comments Steven wrote: "I remember it took me a relatively long time to get hooked, but once I did it was worth the wait. I can't give you an exact page or even an approximation because I read the book last year. Also, I ..."

I usually DO read a fair amount of reviews before buying a book. At the time I thought the PLOT and all the kudos were enough to draw me in. On the upside, I got it as a gift so: no harm no foul! :D
Thanks for letting me know about the divisive reactions to the book, though. I find books that people either really like or just not into at all, very interesting!

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition It also makes for a more interesting book discussion if not every group member thinks the book is great.
I never was that crazy about "The Great Gatsby" until I participated in a book discussion about it and felt I learned something about the way it was written and was able to really appreciate it more.

message 29: by Riya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Riya Yeah- my friend was the one who gave this to me. I remember when I finished I really liked it but constantly talking about it with her got me to truly love this book! It is now one of my favorites- such a unique tale!

message 30: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri (ezBrizy) | 185 comments I ended up being completely enchanted by this book in the end! I thought it was well written and the imagery was wonderful....very easy to get lost in. I'd read it again and suggest it to others. I'd love to see this adapted to film, it has the potential to be visually stunning.

message 31: by Riya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Riya Bri wrote: "I ended up being completely enchanted by this book in the end! I thought it was well written and the imagery was wonderful....very easy to get lost in. I'd read it again and suggest it to others. I..."

Definitely- I would love to actually visit the circus, it seems so amazing!!!

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I think I'd like it better if I watched as a surealistic type movie instead of reading it....

message 33: by Annie (new) - rated it 1 star

Annie (louize48) | 291 comments Terry wrote: "I think I'd like it better if I watched as a surealistic type movie instead of reading it...."

Great idea, Terry! We could just cast & film it! Easy peasy. I'm all for movie night at your house! I'll bring plenty of popcorn! It's on!

Cathie (catitude) Absolutely one of the best books I have read; loved the magic and atmosphere that this book created and the short 1/2 page blurbs to each new chapter. Felt like I was right there entering into a new tent/experience/pavillion each time.

I also loved all the different character/storylines. It was a terrific read :-)