Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Beware

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Delrea (new)

Delrea Good | 10 comments Just purchased NOS4RA2 by Joe Hill and there are incomplete chapters. Barns & Noble refunded my money and is notifying the publisher. Still a big disappointment :-(

message 2: by Ella (new)

Ella Some of the chapters end off as an incomplete sentence but then it continues onto the heading of the next page/chapter and then the story continues on. Seems many people didn't catch that and complained about it.

message 3: by Thera (new)

Thera Lewis (thera1) | 124 comments It's not missing chunks of a chapter. It's the way it's written. Currently reading it, and it took me a chapter or two to realize what was going on.
The last sentence LOOKS incomplete, but it is finished by the heading on the next chapter. For example:

The brat rode her bike across the bridge and into

HAVERVILLE, MA

where she then continued on to her house.

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (plvannest) Thera wrote: "It's not missing chunks of a chapter. It's the way it's written. Currently reading it, and it took me a chapter or two to realize what was going on.
The last sentence LOOKS incomplete, but it ..."

This threw me, too, at first. Then, when I realized what he was doing, I was (as I usually am with Joe Hill's work) totally blown away. What a clever way to pull the reader into and move him/her through the story. The only problem I have with Joe Hill is that he doesn't write nearly enough. I wish he would stop with the graphic novels and concentrate on regular (as though anything he does could be called "regular") novels and short stories. He ALWAYS takes his readers to a new place.

message 5: by Thera (new)

Thera Lewis (thera1) | 124 comments This is my first Joe Hill book. I'm enjoying it very much. I'll have to read more.

message 6: by Delrea (new)

Delrea Good | 10 comments

message 7: by Delrea (new)

Delrea Good | 10 comments Thanks, disappointed in an author that would do something so pointless. I don't know that it's worth the aggravation,

message 8: by Ella (new)

Ella Heart Shaped Box was good but NOS4R2 is better in my opinion.

message 9: by Thera (new)

Thera Lewis (thera1) | 124 comments It's not pointless. It's actually pretty clever. You can't just leave a sentence unfinished, so you go on to the next chapter to see what it says. Well, you just started another chapter, might as well keep on going.
It keeps you reading. Pretty ingenious.

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 360 comments I do agree with you Thera, I love being involved with authors creativity and being able to share the crazy things that they think of in their minds. I don't see it as being pointless at all.

Remember when Stephen King first wrote The Green Mile and he released them in that 6 book paperback series, when I saw that I was like "who would think of releasing a book like that other than Stephn King".

I have several books by Joe Hill and have not cracked any of them open yet and that would by DT books along with ebooks, I look forward to reading him soon.

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenwb) | 45 comments I'm glad to see most of you are enjoying this. I was on the fence about trying it, but I think now I am swayed. Thanks!

message 12: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 167 comments Sounds like many are having issues with this book on the Nook. I will play it safe and buy the hardcover. Thanks for the heads up.

message 13: by Thera (new)

Thera Lewis (thera1) | 124 comments There are no issues. It is what I like to call "user error". People are not understanding the layout of the book, and are complaining without paying attention.

message 14: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 167 comments Ok. I will look at the sample first. Had problems with a couple of ebooks prior. But have no issues buying the hardcover

message 15: by Thera (new)

Thera Lewis (thera1) | 124 comments I've had issue before with ebooks as well. Usually on foreign texts, where accented words have strange symbols in place of certain letters, for example. Or just random mistakes, and missing lines.
But this books is written in a different format, where you think the chapter abruptly ends, or is missing. But it's not. It took a me a chapter or two to figure it out. The chapter seems to abruptly end, only to continue with the title of the next chapter.
Some people apparently don't get it, and complain that there is an error. There isn't.

message 16: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 167 comments Thank You for that

message 17: by Ella (new)

Ella I'm almost done with the ebook version and the run ons only seem to be in the first few chapters. Wasn't an issue for me at all...kept me reading. I think it's clever as well.

message 18: by Thera (new)

Thera Lewis (thera1) | 124 comments No problem.

So, I Read This Book Today (leiahingolden) | 65 comments Thera wrote: "It's not missing chunks of a chapter. It's the way it's written. Currently reading it, and it took me a chapter or two to realize what was going on.
The last sentence LOOKS incomplete, but it ..."

PBKAC - Problem Between Keyboard And Chair